first beach dive

Lisa Attruia

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Hi Everyone,

I think it's about time I introduce myself. My name is Lisa and I just
got my certification in February.
Jan talk me into coming out of my shell and saying "Hi" once in a
while. :)

I went on my first beach dive Saturday at Leo Carillo Ca State beach.
The day couldn't of been any more perfect! The breaks were mild which
made it easy for me to have a nice smooth entry. We were down for about
40 minutes, visibility was about 20 - 25 feet and the water temp was
56f. Our depth was between 10 - 40 feet.
It was an incredible dive and the kicker was the extremely large sting
ray that was hiding in sand below my feet!!
We went out a little further then planed but fortunately had a good exit
- except I lost my fins! One was retrieved by the bestest buddy a new
diver could have and the other is probably on it's way to Hawaii. :)
As we were taking off out gear the dolphins came out... If we would
have stayed in a few minutes longer, we could have played with them.

I'm totally addicted, and would probably never get sick of seeing the
same thing every time. We're planning a clean-up dive later this month,
that should be a blast - at least for me!

Until next dive,
Lisa (Toolman's better half)

Jan Faust

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Lisa Wrote:

>"Hi" once in a while. :)

Good for you !!!

> We were down for about 40 minutes, visibility was about 20 - 25 feet and the
water temp was
>56f. Our depth was between 10 - 40 feet.

Burr! Been there, done that with a hole in my bootie, bottom line numb foot.

>It was an incredible dive and the kicker was the extremely large sting
>ray that was hiding in sand below my feet!!

Way cool!

>We went out a little further then planed but fortunately had a good exit
>- except I lost my fins!

At least you didn't plan it. On one of my first ocean dives I pulled my fins
off on purpose, Duhh :-), miles, or at least that's how it seemed when I was
trying to swim myself and all that shit we have to wear to the boat for
pick-up. One lesson down who knows how many left.

> I'm totally addicted, and would probably never get sick of seeing the
>same thing every time.

Told you so :-)
;-) Me
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The sea breathes life into me,
it is from whence I came." -Jan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.searover.com/jan

Chuck

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
56F. A nice warm water dive (for California.)

CH

Reef Fish (Large Nassau Grouper)

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
At 02:56 PM 5/3/99 -0700, Lisa Attruia wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>I think it's about time I introduce myself.

I'll join the rest of the welcome wagon.

The enthusiasm of the new divers is always a good sign that we're
engaging in a multi-faceted sport that has attraction and fascination
to different people in all walks of life with very different tastes
even for UNDERWATER acitivities, but all share the common interest
of enjoying an environment for which neither God, Allah, or Darwin
had in mind for us.

Just want to tell you this story about your sig. :-)

>Until next dive,
>Lisa (Toolman's better half)

As familiar as I am with most of the posters on this LIST, I couldn't
quite remember who "Toolman" is, and so I went to my trusted
DejaNews (Power Search of course <G>) confident that I'll find your
Toolman in no time at all!

So, I used the keyword "Toolman" -- it came back with 11,000 hits!!
On the 1st page, I saw a Toolman in alt.smokers.pipes and another
in comp.groupware.lotus; on page 2, there was a Toolman in
alt.sex.stories.incest and three more in alt.forsale,
alt.building.landscap, can.atlantic.forsale ...

That's within the first 50 hits, with 10,950 to go. :-)

Tell your "worse half" to change his handle to something else!
I don't think he is THAT versatile. :-))

When I used the keyword "Travis Iversen" there were only
9 hits total! (as opposed to 5600 hits for "Travis Iverson").

In those 9 hits, there were all of YOUR Toolman's postings
in Scuba-L, as well as one in alt.tasteless. What was he
doing there? :-)

Welcome to Scuba-L. Tell your Toolman he doesn't have to go
to alt.tasteless. We are pretty tasteless HERE! FUC 6.2.

-- Bob.

Ron Fuller

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
At 02:56 PM 5/3/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>I think it's about time I introduce myself. My name is Lisa and I just
>got my certification in February.
>Jan talk me into coming out of my shell and saying "Hi" once in a
>while. :)
>

>I went on my first beach dive Saturday at Leo Carillo Ca State beach.
>The day couldn't of been any more perfect! The breaks were mild which
>made it easy for me to have a nice smooth entry. We were down for about

>40 minutes, visibility was about 20 - 25 feet and the water temp was
>56f. Our depth was between 10 - 40 feet.
Lisa,
56F at 40 ft, uncommonly warm and better the average visibility for a
beach dive. Clearly the "Gods of the Sea" intended to HOOK YOU. When will
you be traveling from Malibu to my part of the state? La Jolla tends to
really spoil people for beach dives.
Best Regards
Ron in San Diego

Diving in San Diego
http://www.diegoweb.com/diving
r...@diegoweb.com

David Strike

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
At 02:56 PM 3/05/99 -0700, Lisa Attruia wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>I think it's about time I introduce myself. My name is Lisa and I just
>got my certification in February.

G'Day, Lisa!

>I went on my first beach dive Saturday at Leo Carillo Ca State beach.
>The day couldn't of been any more perfect!

(snip)

>It was an incredible dive and the kicker was the extremely large sting
>ray that was hiding in sand below my feet!!

>We went out a little further then planed but fortunately had a good exit

>- except I lost my fins! One was retrieved by the bestest buddy a new
>diver could have and the other is probably on it's way to Hawaii. :)

The good thing about only using one fin when shore diving is that you always
come back to the beach - many, many times! :-)

>As we were taking off out gear the dolphins came out... If we would
>have stayed in a few minutes longer, we could have played with them.

> I'm totally addicted, and would probably never get sick of seeing the
>same thing every time.

I'm told that the novelty wears off eventually. But I've never met anyone
that old! :-)

Strike

Ray Jones

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
In a message dated 5/3/99 4:55:53 PM Central Daylight Time, l...@QNET.COM
writes:

> I think it's about time I introduce myself. My name is Lisa and I just
> got my certification in February.

> Jan talk me into coming out of my shell and saying "Hi" once in a
> while. :)

Hello Lisa,

Congrads for your dive and also in joining the list. I know Jan and shes a
sweetheart.

> I went on my first beach dive Saturday at Leo Carillo Ca State beach.

> The day couldn't of been any more perfect! The breaks were mild which
> made it easy for me to have a nice smooth entry. We were down for about
> 40 minutes, visibility was about 20 - 25 feet and the water temp was
> 56f. Our depth was between 10 - 40 feet.

The gods were with you today to make sure you got hooked. It worked I see.

> It was an incredible dive and the kicker was the extremely large sting
> ray that was hiding in sand below my feet!!
> We went out a little further then planed but fortunately had a good exit
> - except I lost my fins! One was retrieved by the bestest buddy a new
> diver could have and the other is probably on it's way to Hawaii. :)

Sounds like an excuse to go to Hawaii to me!! 8^)

> As we were taking off out gear the dolphins came out... If we would
> have stayed in a few minutes longer, we could have played with them.

Lisa, I've had this happen numerous times and each encounter remains forever
seared into my memory

> I'm totally addicted, and would probably never get sick of seeing the
> same thing every time.

Lisa, Again I want to congratulate you and its nice seeing and feeling the
wonderment and awe in your eyes. Thats what makes this sport soooo special.

Take care and if I can ever help you with anything please ask,

Ray

Kuty

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
At 14:56 03/05/99 -0700, Lisa wrote:
>Hi Everyone,

Hi Lisa,

Welcome.
Nice to see a new enthusiastic diver.

>- except I lost my fins!

Never mind. It may turn out to be a lucky strike (pun intended). This is
an opportunity to get a new decent pair. Most novice divers buy the fins
that are recommended to them by the shop that trains them. Many times,
these novices could do better.

It's a great sport. have fun.

With best regards,

Kuty

John Bird

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
Welcome to the list from me as well...and sorry about the fins too. It
certainly won't be the first nor the last item you leave behind. The ocean
floor is littered with my knives. However the most embarrassing thing you will
leave behind is your weight belt when you do a boat dive. You'll get into the
water and wonder why you can't descend. It will take a momnet or two but you'll
figure it out pretty quick. We have all done it at least once.

Enjoy the list.

Birdo
"I come from a land down under"........well..Canada actually...they let me stay
because I cried so much at Immigration.
===
John (Birdo) Bird
Sydney Australia
bir...@yahoo.com

"I never get lost.....everyone tells me where to go."

ICQ #12058936