Great Reads in SF/fantasy

1 view

Sue Krinard

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
Sue Krinard, here:

I've been going on a SF/fantasy reading kick, and am just finishing the third
of three really good books that have renewed my joy in just plain reading
again:

THE WILD SWANS by Deb Kerr (fantasy), and MEMORY and KOMARR by Lois McMaster
Bujold.

THE WILD SWANS is an unusual book and not for everyone; half is set in 1600's
England and American and half in 80's NY during the outbreak of the AIDS
crisis. The hero in that section is a young gay man just coming out. Very
poignant.

For those of you who enjoy SF but haven't read Bujold, you're missing a
treat! Her Miles Vorkosigan is a hero in a million . . . and far from your
typical romance hero! (And I'm not sure that anyone but Bujold could pull him
off and make us love him so much!) I'm in heaven, but I'm almost done with
KOMARR, and
then what??? Bujold's next book is out in October.

KOMARR involves Miles in his first "real" romance. He's had loves before, but
I was never satisfied with them . . . this time he's found the right woman.
Go, Miles, Go!

Talk about wonderful worldbuilding. I'm so envious of Bujold, and know I
could never do what she does. But, boy, am I glad she writes!

Sue Krinard
Skri...@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/skrinard/
TOUCH OF THE WOLF, Bantam Books, October 1999

Cass Susan

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
On 5 May 99, at 10:45, Sue Krinard wrote:

> KOMARR involves Miles in his first "real" romance. He's had loves before,
> but I was never satisfied with them . . . this time he's found the right
> woman. Go, Miles, Go!

For those who cannot stand the suspence (me included!), the first
three chapters of Bujold's latest book A CIVIL CAMPAIGN is up on
Baen's Bar. The URL is:

http://www.baen.com/bar/Default.htm

Register, then click on FIRST LOOK, then DON'T LOOK. Those
will take you right to them<g>.

sus...@columbia-center.org
Western Oregon, USDA zone 8, Sunset zone 6
Democracy is a beautiful thing,
except for that part about letting just any old yokel vote.