Title Ploys

1 view

Mica Stone

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
In a message dated 5/4/99 7:48:51 PM Central Daylight Time, cro...@usq.edu.au
writes:

>So looking forward to Mica's [Alison Kent's] new one, too.
>I had to take time to read the first bit on the web site, Mica.
>Did you choose that title? :) What a ploy! :)

Ah, Bernadette. The joys and woes of marketing. I called
the book Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf? :), knowing I
would not get to keep it. My editor wanted "baby" in the
title, and since my wolf is a cop, well, Alliterations 'R Us!

>And I saw your photo!!!!! You look close to my mental
>image, except for the glasses [very cute! :)] which I hadn't
>envisaged. :) Great getting to put faces to names.

I'm getting old. I cannot see. :) And here's the disgusting
part: Walt and I have *matching* glasses. :):) This honey-
moon business is going a bit TOO far!

>One question: I am gonna be in various parts of Canada
>in July when this is on the shelves. Does Canada put books
>on shelves at the same time as the States? [Australia, of course,
>doesn't. <groan> ]

I am fairly sure all North American copies are available at the same
time. I'm guessing that because the initial royalty statements
always show USA/Canada shipped simultaneously. Australia & UK
seem to be the next sales, as a rule - at least in my case.

>I can't believe I am looking forward to reading something
>called THE BADGE AND THE BABY. <bg>

LOL. Oh, I have the cover .gif. I can send it to you as an
attached file. Let me make sure it's just not too big of a
file as I am a scanning failure!

>Mica, that is a classy site. But I only know you and Patricia
>Ryan out of all the writers on that site. The power of this
>listserve! Yes! :)

I will share with Walt your words of praise. He works hard on
that site. And you're right about the power of this listserve. The
best one on the 'net!

Mica
aka Alison
http://www.temptationauthors.com (that site)
aka Michaila
http://members.aol.com/BouquetAut

Bernadette Cronk

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
> The joys and woes of marketing. I called
> the book Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf? :), knowing I
> would not get to keep it.

Which is a shame, Mica, 'cause doesn't that have a heap of
zing, hmm? Shades of Virginia aside...:)

[I really do think these publishers need some title
gurus...]

> I'm getting old. I cannot see. :) And here's the disgusting
> part: Walt and I have *matching* glasses. :):) This honey-
> moon business is going a bit TOO far!

I am trying to imagine attempting to convince Pete to do something like
this....

Nup! <head shaking going on> Not *ever* going to happen!
Believe me. I think it's an Oz-male thing. Most Oz-fems wouldn't even
score matching pillowcases...;)

> I am fairly sure all North American copies are available at the same
> time. I'm guessing that because the initial royalty statements
> always show USA/Canada shipped simultaneously.

Ah, good. This helps. But, I cannot sit in public and hold up that
title. Truly. This one will have to go undercover. :)

> >I can't believe I am looking forward to reading something
> >called THE BADGE AND THE BABY. <bg>
>
> LOL. Oh, I have the cover .gif. I can send it to you as an
> attached file. Let me make sure it's just not too big of a
> file as I am a scanning failure!

It arrived, Mica. You're doin' ok as a scanner-girl!
It is never surprising to me, tho', when people say they
buy books by writer name, not by title, not by graphics....<g>

> I will share with Walt your words of praise. He works hard on
> that site.

Oh! I didn't even realise that site was Walt's doing! That is
impressive! I actually thought it was set up by the
Temptation publishing house and hence the expected professionalism. Well,
well! <Go, Walt!>

> Mica
> aka Alison
> http://www.temptationauthors.com (that site)
> aka Michaila
> http://members.aol.com/BouquetAut

OK. I have just finished FIRST PERSON PLURAL by Cameron West. This looks
like SECOND PERSON PLURAL. <grin> You are Michaila Callan, on what, odd
days? Alison Kent on even, and Mica in between....:) ?? And co-conscious
to boot. :) And this Bouquet is out this year too!? Where am I in
October....? Where, where...?

Getting so confused with all these plans -- but it is Venice... Sleeping in
the very room Tintoretto studied chairoscuro...
There I don't think I will be finding Michaila Callan on the shelves...But,
heck, there are some compensations.

:)

Bernadette

Mica Stone

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
Bernadette wrote:
> I can't believe I am looking forward to reading something
> called THE BADGE AND THE BABY. <bg>
> It arrived, Mica. You're doin' ok as a scanner-girl!
> It is never surprising to me, tho', when people say they
> buy books by writer name, not by title, not by graphics....<g>

Please buy me by name and not by title or graphics.
Though I do think the baby is a doll. :)

> You are Michaila Callan, on what, odd
> days? Alison Kent on even, and Mica in between....:) ?? And
co-conscious
> to boot. :) And this Bouquet is out this year too!? Where am I in
> October....? Where, where...?

One of these days when Walt isn't busy with the Temptation website and the
Bouquet website and I'm not busy with Badges & Babies (the next Temptation
is FOUR MEN AND A LADY!) or Men & Ladies, I'll actually write copy for my
new personal website we're working on and then you can find out about all my
incarnations. :)

Bouquet is a new line being launched in July by Kensington. They've bought
some good stuff, category books with subjects other houses won't touch. I'll
be interested to see what the reception is. Their covers are quite gorgeous.

This Bouquet of mine is less Alison and more Michaila. Hmm. Can't explain
it.
It's just my other writer's voice............ <--great segue into the
storyteller vs
writer discussion. I'll be back.