milemarkers

1 view

Niagara Regional Rail Spur (Paul Duncan)

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

Try listening to at CP detector go off! Though the distances of the
detectors would change...

CP Detector
Kilometer 1 8 point 3
Hamilton Sub
Total Axels
145
No Alarm.

<Repeat above>

Detector Out.

Yes I HAVE heard odd counts. Make me wonder what happened!

At 06:47 AM 4/4/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Brett Rekola <rek...@ma.ultranet.com> wrote:
> > Typically mile markers are based upon the orginal surveyors chaining
> > station when the right of way was laid out in the early 1800's.
> > Railroad then picked start points and adjusted after mergers or
> > takeovers to suit the needs and desires of the management of the
> > period. Many mile markers where obliterated to erradicate the memory of
> > the previous management or owners in takeovers, hence the multiple
> > locations.
>
> Can you mention some examples where this happened? In
>general milepost numbers are not changed because of the expense
>of changing all of them and no purpose is served by changing
>them. For example, the BNSF's former Santa Fe main line has
>milepost numbers from Atchison (over trackage which has been
>pulled up) via Topeka and Great Bend (neither of which are on the
>main line any more). But there is no point in changing them,
>and it is for the same reason that Canadian railroads still
>use mileposts even though kilometers are now the legal measure
>in Canada.
>
> The Union Pacific has some negative milepost numbers
>(preceded by a minus sign, -) in the Council Bluffs-Omaha area.
>
> > Also as engineering departments were reduced track throws
> > were completed without as- built plans hence the typical mile
> > is not 5280 feet but based upon the "history' of single tracking
> > and cumilative history of the engineering departments and or
> > operating departments.
>
> The "typical" mile is still 5,280 feet. When it is
>not, it is usually indicated in the employee timetable, and
>the most common reason is because of line relocations, as
>to shorten the route or eliminate or reduce curves or grades.
>But again, there is no reason and very substantial cost in
>renumbering the entire railroad, sometimes well over 1,000
>miles.
>
>And as <pie...@gone.ENET.dec.com> noted:
>
> > State Lines, per se, were an irrelavancy to a RR.
>
> There is one notable exception, but it is a special
>circumstance: where the Colorado & Southern and the Fort
>Worth & Denver join at the Texas-New Mexico state line
>near Texline, Texas. The equation (equivalent milepost
>numbers) are given in the employee timetable. But that is
>really an artifact of the railroads' history; it is
>otherwise irrelevant to operations.
>

>Wes Leatherock
>wes.lea...@sandbox.telepath.com
>

>___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20 [NR]

Paul Duncan Niagara Regional Rail Spur
Welland, Ontario, Canada. Covering the Canadian Niagara Region Rail Lines
nr...@vaxxine.com http://www.vaxxine.com/nrrs/
Home Page Owner of:
Niagara Regional Rail Spur & Icon Warehouse - Icons for HTML Programming...
Providing professional web page design services to:
Re/Max - Fenelon Falls, ON and Welland, ON
Greater Niagara Model Railroad Engineers - Fenwick, ON