CSX communications

Alan Vondriska

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Hello All, I'm trying to find out what 'flag protection' is.
CSX dispatchers use this term constantly when they clear
a block in the NE Ohio area (Detroit division, New Castle
subdivision, Cleveland-Sterling line). I have reason to
believe this area is unsignaled, could this be why every
train crew speaks with a dispatcher when going on this
line, and every crew is told 'yes on the flag' after the block
assignment is given? Anyone in NE Ohio hearing this, and
familiar with it? Thanks in advance, Al Vondriska

Ryan Swanson

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Flag protection is where the conductor and brakeman walk a specified
distance from their train, in the event it has to come to a stop or is
disabled. They then light fusees and place torpedoes on the rail to warn
any approaching trains that the line ahead is obstructed.

Union Pacific Railroad Rule 42.15.1

When track is impassable or unsafe for trains at normal speed, or before
obstructing track or in any way rendering it impassable or unsafe,
protection in both directions must be immediately provided.

(When there are two or more tracks, protection must be provided in both
directions on all affected tracks.)

To provide protection on impassable or unsafe track, contact the train
dispatcher and request positive protection using the emergency radio call-in
system if necessary.
In addition, in ABS territory, apply Rule 6.19.5 (Protection in ABS by
Lining Switch), if possible.

If unable to contact the train dispatcher, or if the train dispatcher cannot
provide positive protection, provide positive protection as outlined below:

A. Place Flags and Torpedoes-Where the maximum freight train speed of the
subdivision is:

- 70 MPH or more:
-Place a red flag or red light 1/4 mile from the obstruction.
-Place torpedoes 1 mile and 2 1/4 miles from the red flag or red light.

- 41 MPH to 69 MPH:
-Place a red flag or red light 1/4 mile from the obstruction.
-Place torpedoes 1 mile and 2 miles from the red flag or red light.

- 40 MPH or less:
-Place a red flag or red light 1/4 mile from the obstruction.
-Place torpedoes between 1 mile and 2 miles from the red flag or red
light.

If anyone wants the entire rule, send me a message, and I will give it to
you in its entirety...

************
Ryan Swanson
Business Administration Student
Idaho State University

Management Intern-Union Pacific Railroad
Maintenance Operations
Pocatello Locomotive Facility

hys...@bf.axxess.net
************

Brett Rekola

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Alan Vondriska wrote:

> Hello All, I'm trying to find out what 'flag protection' is.
> CSX dispatchers use this term constantly when they clear
> a block in the NE Ohio area (Detroit division, New Castle
> subdivision, Cleveland-Sterling line). I have reason to
> believe this area is unsignaled, could this be why every
> train crew speaks with a dispatcher when going on this
> line, and every crew is told 'yes on the flag' after the block
> assignment is given? Anyone in NE Ohio hearing this, and
> familiar with it? Thanks in advance, Al Vondriska
Many times flagging applies to conductors that are assigned to
construction jobs on overhead bridges, who radio approaching trains that
all the construction equipment is in the clear. In the event the radio
is broken the train crew can take a wave of teh flag based upon the
current Norac rules, or CSX rules.

Brett rekola