finding research positions

Beth Bryant

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98

Jeannine wrote: I was wondering if anyone out there has any insight on how
to search for research jobs that are not necessarily "academic" (where I
would be teaching undergrads). Considering the kind of work I do, I could
probably look for research positions in departments of psychiatry associated
with a medical center (or clinical psych programs) or something of that
sort. How do I go about finding what is out there in these venues?

I have been fortunate to be employed by two different research projects at
hospitals. The way I got the first one is to find and call the "jobline"
for each hospital (and the medical university) in the area. There are
frequently jobs posted there that will not be advertised in a newspaper
(because they don't want to sift through 500 applications!) After the grant
expired on that study, I was able to find several other research projects
through the "research grapevine" (i.e., by calling university and hospital
connections that my principle investigator and/or myself had made during the
study). I am not sure this approach will work everywhere, but I found some
success in it. Hope this helps.

Beth Bryant
Graduate Student
Clinical and Health Psychology