Promotion of PSYCGRAD

1 view

Matthew Simpson

Jan 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/25/98

Hi folks.

Some of you may not know me. I'm the guy who created PSYCGRAD.
I haven't spoken up about managing the group in quite some time now,
even though I take care of a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff.
Jason's been doing such a great job running things.

But I have a few questions I need to run by you in the coming
weeks. You see, PSYCGRAD stands on a very democratic foundation.
Most of the policies and procedures you read about in the Mission
Statement came from the discussions of the early list subscribers.
So, I really need to know what you think on some things.
Please post and debate many ideas.

FIRST QUESTION
During peak operation, PSYCGRAD subscribes over 1,000 subscribers and
distributes an average of 14 messages per day. We are operating at
slightly over 300 now. It's time to review and beef up the project.

What is the number one thing that attracted you to PSYCGRAD?

What is the number one thing that we could do better?

If you were running PSYCGRAD, what is the kind of thing you
would want the project to do?

What would the ideal internet project for psychology graduate
students look like?

BY THE WAY

We have a new WWW address - http://psycgrad.home.ml.org

Thanks for your time. Have fun!

Matthew Simpson - Creator, Listowner, The PSYCGRAD Project
matthew...@erols.com

Janessa Hall

Jan 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/25/98

>FIRST QUESTION
>During peak operation, PSYCGRAD subscribes over 1,000 subscribers and
>distributes an average of 14 messages per day. We are operating at
>slightly over 300 now. It's time to review and beef up the project.
>
> What is the number one thing that attracted you to PSYCGRAD?
*The number one thing that attracted me to PSYCGRAD was the idea that
this would be a forum to discuss psychology with knowledgable persons.

> If you were running PSYCGRAD, what is the kind of thing you
> would want the project to do?

*I wish there was a way to provide resources for those of us who are
more research oriented. I realize that I have only been on the list a
short time, but most of the discussion so far seems geared to details of
clinical practice. (I know, I know, I should be posting my own ideas,
but unlike most graduate students I don't seem to have a lot of spare
time.)
=)
--Janessa

Matthew Simpson

Jan 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/25/98

>*I wish there was a way to provide resources for those of us who are
>more research oriented. I realize that I have only been on the list a
>short time, but most of the discussion so far seems geared to details of
>clinical practice. (I know, I know, I should be posting my own ideas,
>but unlike most graduate students I don't seem to have a lot of spare
>time.)

Yeah,... it's a funny thing. Most researchers are data collectors.
Clinicians, on the other hand, tend to be mouth-shooter-offers.
Researchers like to listen to good discussions about research.
Clinicians are the only one creating the good dissussions, which tend
to be clinical.

THERE, you... you... you...RESEARCHERS, you! Put your mouth where your
data is! What are you, a researcher, or a lab rat?!? Come on out
and document like a Skinnerian! Now is the time for all good researchers
to come to the aid of their science.

It was 20 years ago today
Dr. Skinner taught the pigeons to play
He's been going in and out of stile
But he's guaranteed to condition you to smile
So let me introduce to you
The one and only industrial deterministic team,
Sargent Skinners lonely PSYCGRAD BAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnddd!

Heh heh heh... Is that provocative enough? ;-)

The one who identifies the most stereotypes of scientific psychology
mentioned above wins the coveted PSYCGRAD Scientist of the Month Award.

The winner will have her or his name prominantly displayed on
http://psycgrad.home.ml.org

Thanks for the feedback. We really need it. Keep it coming!
Have fun! - Matthew
Matthew Simpson, M.A.
matthew...@erols.com
http://www.erols.com/matthew.simpson