experimental material

1 view

Janessa Hall

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

Greetings all!
My name is Janessa Hall and I am new to the PSYCGRAD list. I am a
first year student of social psychology at Purdue University.
I was hoping that someone out there could give me a little help in
finding materials that would be appropriate for my next experiment. My
advisor and I are interested in looking at how emotions which are judged
appropriate for one gender and not the other (i.e.--men are allowed to
express anger; women are not). We are especially interested in the
so-called emotional "double-bind" which women may face. That is to say,
if women conform to expected emotional standards they may be labled an
"emotional woman". If they fail to conform, they may be seen as
deviant.
At any rate, we are currently looking for video taped material that
could test this hypothesis. I think that something like a video series
intended to train actors might be appropriate. What we need are tapes
that portray one person displaying several different emotions while
reading the same script and/or several different persons (preferably of
both genders) reading the same script.
If anyone knows of titles that might be appropriate, or have
similar material lying around there lab which they might be willing to
contribute I would be immensely grateful. (And of course pay postage if
you would be sending tapes.)
Thanks!
=)

Lisa Hale

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

Janessa - hello & welcome to the list!! I'm in the clinical psych program
at Chicago Medical School, and one of the labs in our department is doing
research on forensic psychopathy that entails video-taping scripts to
evoke responses from the subjects. While this is not identical to what
your doing, I thought I should mention the option to you of tracking down
a camcorder & "producing" your own tapes. That way you can be sure to get
what you want. The actors can either be local theater students or even
anyone dramatically inclined in your department (I confess to being our
"hired" (for a pizza, at least!) actress. The scripts can be original or
you can find a scene from any play book. Good luck to you!