PSYCGRAD Digest

Jeannine Morrone

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98

Hello everyone! Well, I am one of those research psychologists who sits
back and watches the clinical students communicate back and forth. After
this morning's message I decided to just bite the bullet and ask away. My
question does not pertain to research issues per se, but I was wondering if
anyone out there has any insight on how to search for research jobs that
are not necessarily "academic" (where I would be teaching undergrads).
Considering the kind of work I do, I could probably look for research
positions in departments of psychiatry associated with a medical center (or
clinical psych programs) or something of that sort. How do I go about
finding what is out there in these venues? I appreciate your help. Have a
good day.

Jeannine

Jeannine V. Morrone
Laboratory of Neurobiology of Personality
Department of Human Development
NG-03A MVR Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
office phone: (607) 255-7942
e-mail: jv...@cornell.edu

DANA MILLS

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98

Hey Jeannine,
Not that I am an authority on job searches, but I do have a friend who ju
st experienced looking for a non-academic psyc job. The advice I would give to
you (based on on my buddy's experience) is to look in the pharmaceutical indus
try as a start (depending on your interests). If you are dealing with health-r
elated reserach, the pharm industry will be a nice start. Stick with industry
though. It will be your best shot. If you want more specific info, reply with
your specific career research interests.
Hope it's helpful,
Dana

G. Marc Turner

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

Well, as long as all the other researchers are coming out of the woodwork
I'll throw in my 2 cents...

I've been working in the private sector (doing human factors/usability
work) for the past several months. For me this is great since it has
combined all of my interests: research methodology, computers, and even
psychometrics to some extent. Also, the pay is a lot better than I was
getting in academia. However, I still want to stay in academia when I
finish. My current plan is to be a professor and use my expertise with
research & psychometrics for consulting positions in the private sector.
There seems to be this myth that you have to choose one or the other. I
say, go for both! Most universities that I'm familiar with allow their
professors to do outside consulting, though some look more favorably on
this than others. The difficult part is balancing a teaching load,
research, and consulting. But it can be done.

- Marc

Grad student, lecturer, consultant...

Stephen Gorny

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

Its nice to see all of my fellow researchers finally coming out of the
shadows. SOmeone asked about jobs for us outside of the academic world.
I have been working for a biomedical engineering company for the past 2.5
years as their director of clinical research. They mainly develop and
build monitors for use in sleep research (actigraphy units, body position
monitors, apnea detection units). I have spent my time there designing
research protocols for the testing and evaluation of these devices and
then over-seeing the data collection and evaluation. It is not directly
related to my primary filed of interest (addictive behaviors) but it has
allowed me to put my research skills to work "in the real world" and has
allowed me the opportunity to work with psychologists and psychiatrists
in fileds other than my own. In addition, this position has afforded me
the opportunity to take the final products of these research efforts and
present them at conferences and crank out publications. There are many
companies such as this in which they need someone who knows how to crunch
the numbers and do the statistics and then translate all of this data
(and many are willing to pay good money for these services).

In addition, I have also taken contractual jobs with various
organizations to handle program evaluation (from design to final
publication of data). Again, some of these contracts can be fairly
lucrative.

My experience has shown me that there is a large need for people who can
do statistical evaluation in the corporate sector. It may not always be
directly related to psychology, but it does require an understanding of
research methodology. My experience has brought me to the conclusion
that, the minute I get my Ph.D., I plan to run as far away from academia
as possible and into the corporate world where I can put my research
skills to work and make a decent living at it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Stephen Gorny +
Department of Psychology +
UMBC +
1000 Hilltop Circle +
Baltimore, MD 21250 +
+
sgo...@umbc2.umbc.edu +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My home page - THE ATOMIC GARDEN - http://members.aol.com/swgims
VAMPIRE NATION - The D GENERATION home page - http://members.aol.com/DGen
LATENT IMAGE Magazine - http://members.aol.com/LatImage

Ken Heard

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

Depending on your research interests, I wonder if there are jobs in managed car
e? I know some people might choke on the idea, but *if* treatment programs are
based on research that balances costs and outcomes then somebodies got to be d
oing the research. Granted probably people with business degrees rather than m
ental health, but I know of one clinical PhD with a high-ranking job at BlueCro
ss/BlueShield in our area.

Ken

Ken Heard

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

It may also be possible (under some circumstances) to get a part-time appointme
nt at a university that allows you to maintain academic membership while having
time to consult - say a 60 or 75% slot that will holds some benefits.

Ken