Research

CHRISTY STEIMER

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

Hi everyone,
Just skimming through the digest, I thought it was funny that us
clinical students are considered the "non-research" group. Last I
checked, a PhD in clinical psychology was a practice/RESEARCH degree.
Most of us would have hopped into a PsyD program if we didn't want to
examine the research end of things. I, for one, would be happy to discuss
research with anyone - experimental, clinical, etc. I'm doing a very
social psych - oriented project for my thesis and could probably use any
comments any of you would be willing to share. I realize that some of
the comments in recent digests were "tongue-in-cheek," but I just wanted
to let everyone know that there is a clinical student out there who
wouldn't mind discussing research ;)
Christy Steimer

Celeste Walley

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

I sincerely agree with you, Christy. I am a second-year student at
the University of Southern Mississippi. I am getting ready to propose my
thesis research project which will be examining self-aggressive behavior,
depressed mood, and contagion. I too find it interesting that we as PhD
students are not considered "researchers." I for one intend to do research
once I complete my degree, so thanks for speaking up.

Celeste Walley

Stephen Gorny

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

I do not think anyone disputes that clinical students conduct research.
But I think the main difference is that clinical students also get into
doing therapy, and working in a theraputic capacity, where you have those
like myself who do nothing but research. I guess my perception is that I
am a researcher - period - and clinicians are not pure researchers - they
are engaged in other non-research related activities as well.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Stephen Gorny +
Department of Psychology +
UMBC +
1000 Hilltop Circle +
Baltimore, MD 21250 +
+
sgo...@umbc2.umbc.edu +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My home page - THE ATOMIC GARDEN - http://members.aol.com/swgims
VAMPIRE NATION - The D GENERATION home page - http://members.aol.com/DGen
LATENT IMAGE Magazine - http://members.aol.com/LatImage

Lisa Hale

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

Hi all - nice to see discussions picking up! I wanted to comment on the
clinician/researcher distinction. I myself am a clinical PhD student with
a subspecialty in health psych at Chicago Medical School (our department
also has a neuropsych track). While it is true that some of us plan on
applied-service careers, I know of many who are indeed strictly clinical
psych researchers with no therapy or applied work beyond their research
topics (e.g., studying cognitive deficits in schizophrenics through
neuroimagery). The distinction is perhaps one of populations/problems
researched? I know our department provides training in multiple aspects
necessary to function as a clinician and a researcher. In my opinion, the
days of a clinical PhD hanging out a shingle to do therapy are
gone; for better or worse, master's level practitioners are more
economical. I know in our anxiety disorders clinic, we do treat people,
but we also generate a great deal of data while doing it. Clinical
psychologists as a whole are only as good as the research that we generate
in studying and applying what we learn - a cycle that supports all
branches of psychological research. So -- everyone is working hard for the
same cause - to further what we know about psychology and the betterment
of mankind. (Gee, I sound sappy here, huh?!)

On an off note -- I hope whoever it was that mentioned they thought they
had "less free time" than most grad students was joking (I confess I might
have taken it the wrong way when I read it it at 3:00 am!) I know I for
one am pulled many directions (2nd yr Phd student & totally-on-her-own
single mom of two for the past six years!) I'm going to assume that
everyone else is at least somewhat crazy-busy, too!!)

Have fun!!
Lisa