Whitman scandal, already

1 view

ar...@oregon.uoregon.edu

Nov 10, 1993, 12:55:49 PM11/10/93
Front page news on this morning's New York Times: Ed Rollins has admitted to
bribing urban New Jersey ministers and Democratic workers in order to
deliberately reduce the black vote. The Whitman campaign actually paid black
preachers, who had already endorsed Florio, to talk about something else during
their Sunday sermons. At the same time, they bribed Democratic workers, who had
already been hired to work the streets and phone lines for Florio, to stay home
and watch television instead.

As usual, Republicans only win by cheating. This may or may not affect
whether Whitman gets her four years of screwing the "garden state," but it at
least exposes the true nature of the GOP.

Andrew Ross The "Dump Whitman" bumper stickers are soon to pop up all over
the NJ turnpike...

Steve Cohen

Nov 11, 1993, 8:20:05 PM11/11/93
On Wed, 10 Nov 1993 ar...@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU wrote:

> Front page news on this morning's New York Times: Ed Rollins has admitted t
> bribing urban New Jersey ministers and Democratic workers in order to
> deliberately reduce the black vote. The Whitman campaign actually paid black
> preachers, who had already endorsed Florio, to talk about something else durin
> their Sunday sermons. At the same time, they bribed Democratic workers, who ha
> already been hired to work the streets and phone lines for Florio, to stay hom
> and watch television instead.

In Rollins latest statement, he said"...the Whitman campaign, which I
managed, itself in no way sponsered, funded or sanctioned improper
turnout activities."

So what really happened, I don't know do you?

> As usual, Republicans only win by cheating. This may or may not affect
> whether Whitman gets her four years of screwing the "garden state," but it at
> least exposes the true nature of the GOP.

The above statement is crass, rude, and and completely unfounded. Even if
Whitman cheated, this statement is false. Andrew said Republicans only
win by cheating. Well, I don't cheat and I still win. I would like an
apology for this crass statement.

> Andrew Ross The "Dump Whitman" bumper stickers are soon to pop up all over
> the NJ turnpike...

Steve Cohen

Jonathan Fisher

Nov 11, 1993, 8:31:41 PM11/11/93
>From: ar...@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU

> Front page news on this morning's New York Times: Ed Rollins has admitted t
> bribing urban New Jersey ministers and Democratic workers in order to
> deliberately reduce the black vote. The Whitman campaign actually paid black
> preachers, who had already endorsed Florio, to talk about something else durin
> their Sunday sermons. At the same time, they bribed Democratic workers, who ha
> already been hired to work the streets and phone lines for Florio, to stay hom
> and watch television instead.

Look, I'm no fan of Republicans, as you well know, but tell me what is
illegal about this. I mean, it's not as if they forceably stopped people
from voting. And, there was nothing stopping these people from taking
the money and then preaching to their people to go out and vote for Florio.
Rollins and his slimy ilk gambled and they won. So what?

> As usual, Republicans only win by cheating. This may or may not affect
> whether Whitman gets her four years of screwing the "garden state," but it at
> least exposes the true nature of the GOP.

The true nature of the GOP??? Certainly, the GOP is slimy...but so is the DNC.
In fact, in parallel to this disgusting behavior, there were headlines about
something that some Democrat had done...damm, I forgot what it was...any help
here would be nice. OK, forget that one for now. Look at the slimy congress
people who took hundreds of thousands of dollars from the S&L guy in order to
stall the investigation of him. All 5 were Democrats.

> Andrew Ross The "Dump Whitman" bumper stickers are soon to pop up all over
> the NJ turnpike...

Jonathan

ar...@oregon.uoregon.edu

Nov 12, 1993, 8:33:03 PM11/12/93

>In Rollins latest statement, he said"...the Whitman campaign, which I
>managed, itself in no way sponsered, funded or sanctioned improper
>turnout activities."
>
>So what really happened, I don't know do you?

In his previous statement, he was speaking to friends, and he *boasted*
about his underhanded tactics, grinning from ear to ear like a tiger that had
just made a kill. Being a Republican, he was unfamiliar with decency and shame,
and imagined that we would all applaud his Machiavellian values. When we
instead gasped and turned our embarrassed faces away, he instinctively
responded the knee-jerk conservative way, and lied. Are you surprised?

>> As usual, Republicans only win by cheating. This may or may not affect
>> whether Whitman gets her four years of screwing the "garden state," but it at
>> least exposes the true nature of the GOP.

>The above statement is crass, rude, and and completely unfounded. Even if
>Whitman cheated, this statement is false. Andrew said Republicans only
>win by cheating. Well, I don't cheat and I still win. I would like an
>apology for this crass statement.

Being called crass and rude by a Republican is like being called ugly by
Jeanne Kirkpatrick. Obviously, I didn't have you in mind when I made the above
statement, but if you'd care to tell me what political office you hold and who
your campaign manager was, I'll shortly either admit an exception to the rule
or confront you with the painful truth. Meanwhile, if you insist on identifying
yourself as a Republican, don't be surprised if, rightly or wrongly, the
fingers of suspicion are pointed at you and the spoons counted before you
leave.

Andrew Ross from The Simpsons:
Satan: I give you a jury of the damned: Bennedict Arnold!
Lizzie Borden! Richard Nixon!...
Nixon: Hey, I'm not dead yet! I just had an article published
in Redbook!
Satan: Look, I did a favor for you!
Nixon: Yes, *master*

It's funny because it's true.

Kerry Stephenson

Nov 14, 1993, 2:25:28 PM11/14/93
Andrew Ross said:

>In Rollins latest statement, he said"...the Whitman campaign, which I
>managed, itself in no way sponsered, funded or sanctioned improper
>turnout activities."
>
>So what really happened, I don't know do you?

In his previous statement, he was speaking to friends, and he *boasted*
about his underhanded tactics, grinning from ear to ear like a tiger that had
just made a kill. Being a Republican, he was unfamiliar with decency and shame,
and imagined that we would all applaud his Machiavellian values. When we
instead gasped and turned our embarrassed faces away, he instinctively
responded the knee-jerk conservative way, and lied. Are you surprised?

This surprises me. A lot. Were you *there*,
as the old hymn says? This paragraph reads
as though you were, which would make you
a "friend" of Ed Rollins. True or false?
If false, you are inventing conversations for
hyperbolic effect, and if true--well, with friends
like you, one could throw away the applications
for political enemies.

>> As usual, Republicans only win by cheating. This may or may not affect
>> whether Whitman gets her four years of screwing the "garden state," but it
at
>> least exposes the true nature of the GOP.

>The above statement is crass, rude, and and completely unfounded. Even if
>Whitman cheated, this statement is false. Andrew said Republicans only
>win by cheating. Well, I don't cheat and I still win. I would like an
>apology for this crass statement.

Being called crass and rude by a Republican is like being called ugly by
Jeanne Kirkpatrick. Obviously, I didn't have you in mind when I made the above
statement, but if you'd care to tell me what political office you hold and who
your campaign manager was, I'll shortly either admit an exception to the rule
or confront you with the painful truth. Meanwhile, if you insist on identifying
yourself as a Republican, don't be surprised if, rightly or wrongly, the
fingers of suspicion are pointed at you and the spoons counted before you
leave.

It's also like being called an "airhead"
by Jerry Brown, a "paranoid weasel" by
Ross Perot, or an "untalented hack" by
Adam Sandler. What's your point? And
whether Jeanne Kirkpatrick is a pin-up
girl or not (and, btw, this kind of
blatant sexism surprises me, coming from
you) has no bearing on her respectablility.
Wanna make fun of Bob Dole's bad arm or
Dan Inouye's slanted eyes? How come?

I wouldn't count the spoons before you
leave. But I'd use plastic ones
when you come for dinner. Same concept,
less hassle.

Andrew Ross from The Simpsons:
Satan: I give you a jury of the damned: Bennedict Arnold!
Lizzie Borden! Richard Nixon!...
Nixon: Hey, I'm not dead yet! I just had an article published
in Redbook!
Satan: Look, I did a favor for you!
Nixon: Yes, *master*

It's funny because it's true.

Wrong again. If it were true, it wouldn't
be funny at all. And Nixon would still
be president.

--Santana Vixen, Mistress of the Night,
who is *for* NAFTA only because so far
it has provided hours of fun for the whole
family! More Perot!--he *kills* me!

ar...@oregon.uoregon.edu

Nov 14, 1993, 8:39:47 PM11/14/93
In article <POLITICS%9311141...@UCF1VM.CC.UCF.EDU>, Kerry Stephenson <KS...@PURCCVM.BITNET> writes:

Hellodly-Odely, Kerry!

> In his previous statement, he was speaking to friends, and he *boasted*
>about his underhanded tactics, grinning from ear to ear like a tiger that had
>just made a kill. Being a Republican, he was unfamiliar with decency and shame,
>and imagined that we would all applaud his Machiavellian values. When we
>instead gasped and turned our embarrassed faces away, he instinctively
>responded the knee-jerk conservative way, and lied. Are you surprised?
>
> This surprises me. A lot. Were you *there*,
> as the old hymn says? This paragraph reads
> as though you were, which would make you
a "friend" of Ed Rollins. True or false?

False. I wasn't there, but I read the account I quoted in the Times. Since
the Times is a conservative-corporate slanted newspaper, I assumed their
version (yes, they used the word "boasted") was the most Rollins-friendly slant
they could possibly put on it (see the "admission against interest" exception
to hearsay, Federal Rule of Evidence 803). Disagree if you must, but I'm
reasonably confident that Rollins was telling the truth when he confessed, and
lying when he denied everything after it hit the fan. If a defendant first
confessed to his crime, then denied it, which statement would you find more
believable and why?

> Being called crass and rude by a Republican is like being called ugly by
>Jeanne Kirkpatrick. Obviously, I didn't have you in mind when I made the above
>statement, but if you'd care to tell me what political office you hold and who
>your campaign manager was, I'll shortly either admit an exception to the rule
>or confront you with the painful truth. Meanwhile, if you insist on identifying
>yourself as a Republican, don't be surprised if, rightly or wrongly, the
>fingers of suspicion are pointed at you and the spoons counted before you
>leave.
>
> It's also like being called an "airhead"
> by Jerry Brown, a "paranoid weasel" by
> Ross Perot, or an "untalented hack" by
> Adam Sandler.

True. :-) Or like Bush calling Carter a "loser." We could play this game
all day.

> whether Jeanne Kirkpatrick is a pin-up
> girl or not (and, btw, this kind of
> blatant sexism surprises me, coming from
> you) has no bearing on her respectablility.

Of course, she doesn't have much of that, either. Have you ever seen her on
one of those FIRING LINE debates where they put her up against that lovely
liberal, Pat Schroeder? The debater from Denver scores a resounding knockout
every time! And, given the allegations from someone on the right that liberal
women are ipso facto ugly, I believe my comments were in line.

Wanna make fun of Bob Dole's bad arm or
> Dan Inouye's slanted eyes? How come?

No thanks. You might ask Travis. :-)

> I wouldn't count the spoons before you
> leave. But I'd use plastic ones
> when you come for dinner. Same concept,
> less hassle.

Aw shucks, Santana, I'm no Republican. If you don't trust me, I'd be glad
to bring my own silverware, though. And some Northwestern microbrew as well.
Can you cook as well as linda?

> Satan: I give you a jury of the damned: Bennedict Arnold!
> Lizzie Borden! Richard Nixon!...
> Nixon: Hey, I'm not dead yet! I just had an article published
> in Redbook!
> Satan: Look, I did a favor for you!
> Nixon: Yes, *master*
>
>It's funny because it's true.
>
> Wrong again. If it were true, it wouldn't
> be funny at all. And Nixon would still
> be president.

If it weren't true, Nixon would be in jail. And you're probably right; it
isn't that funny after all. What could I have been thinking of?

> --Santana Vixen, Mistress of the Night,

Andrew Ross, worshipper of the autumn sun.

Michael Morse

Nov 15, 1993, 12:11:36 AM11/15/93
"Santana Vixen," mmmmm, doesn't quite ring true for me, too sixties-acid-
cha-cha; how 'bout "Richard Milhous Vixen"?
MWM

Jonathan Fisher

Nov 15, 1993, 12:32:51 PM11/15/93
>From: Steve Cohen <co...@MIDGET.TOWSON.EDU>

> On Wed, 10 Nov 1993 ar...@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU wrote:
>

> > Front page news on this morning's New York Times: Ed Rollins has admitted
> > bribing urban New Jersey ministers and Democratic workers in order to
> > deliberately reduce the black vote. The Whitman campaign actually paid black
> > preachers, who had already endorsed Florio, to talk about something else dur
in
> > their Sunday sermons. At the same time, they bribed Democratic workers, who
ha
> > already been hired to work the streets and phone lines for Florio, to stay h
om
> > and watch television instead.
>

> In Rollins latest statement, he said"...the Whitman campaign, which I
> managed, itself in no way sponsered, funded or sanctioned improper
> turnout activities."
>
> So what really happened, I don't know do you?

Yeh, I do. CNN played a tape of Rollins' statement saying that he paid
ministers not to preach to their congregation. So, Rollins' backtracking
notwithstanding, the Whitman campaign did indeed pay people not to vote.
Further, Whitman's brother is quoted on CSPAN saying that they worked to
lower voter turnout in areas that would go to Florio.

In and of itself, this is morally despicable. However, it's very difficult
to see an illegalities here.

> > Andrew Ross The "Dump Whitman" bumper stickers are soon to pop up all ov
er

> > the NJ turnpike...
> >
> Steve Cohen

Jonathan

Andrew MacRae

Nov 15, 1993, 12:44:28 PM11/15/93
In article 9311141...@UCF1VM.CC.UCF.EDU, Kerry Stephenson <KS...@PURCCVM.BITNET> () writes:
>>So what really happened, I don't know do you?
>
> In his previous statement, he was speaking to friends, and he *boasted*
>about his underhanded tactics, grinning from ear to ear like a tiger that had
>just made a kill. Being a Republican, he was unfamiliar with decency and shame,
>and imagined that we would all applaud his Machiavellian values. When we
>instead gasped and turned our embarrassed faces away, he instinctively
>responded the knee-jerk conservative way, and lied. Are you surprised?
>
> This surprises me. A lot. Were you *there*,
> as the old hymn says? This paragraph reads
> as though you were, which would make you
> a "friend" of Ed Rollins.

Thanks to the wonders of telecomunication, I "was" there yesterday afternoon.
On the McGloughlan Group Ellenor Clift described the scene (she was there in
reality) then they played a tape recording of his statements. Clift reported
that there was a moment of shock around the table after he spoke as all the
reporters reflected on what a dumb thing that was to say.

Andrew MacRae

Travis Kidd

Nov 15, 1993, 12:57:00 PM11/15/93
On Mon, 15 Nov 1993 01:39:47 GMT ar...@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU said:
> Wanna make fun of Bob Dole's bad arm or
> > Dan Inouye's slanted eyes? How come?
> No thanks. You might ask Travis. :-)
Yeah, I don''t know how Dole can stand Inouye after saying he'd give his
right arm to blow Inouye and the rest of the Japs away!

> Andrew Ross, worshipper of the autumn sun.

-Travis It's raining leaves here.

Jimmy -Jimbo- Wales

Nov 15, 1993, 1:55:01 PM11/15/93
I would be happy to make available for anonymous FTP a photograph of
Bill "I love your wife" Dickson and the wife in question.

Gary Olvsen is in the picture, too.

--Jimbo

ar...@oregon.uoregon.edu

Nov 15, 1993, 2:30:46 PM11/15/93
In article <POLITICS%9311151...@UCF1VM.CC.UCF.EDU>, Travis Kidd <TK...@CLEMSON.BITNET> writes:
>On Mon, 15 Nov 1993 01:39:47 GMT ar...@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU said:
>> Wanna make fun of Bob Dole's bad arm or
>> > Dan Inouye's slanted eyes? How come?
>> No thanks. You might ask Travis. :-)
>Yeah, I don''t know how Dole can stand Inouye after saying he'd give his
>right arm to blow Inouye and the rest of the Japs away!

*sigh* How do you suppose I knew Travis would be up to the challenge?
Apologies to the rest of you; I guess I was egging him on without thinking.

Andrew Ross Give him credit for consistency, at least...

Geoffrey Simmons

Nov 16, 1993, 5:16:40 AM11/16/93
jwa...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jimmy -Jimbo- Wales) writes:

>I would be happy to make available for anonymous FTP a photograph of
>Bill "I love your wife" Dickson and the wife in question.

How exactly do you make a *photograph* available for FTP?

>--Jimbo
Geoff

--
Geoffrey Simmons | sim...@informatik.uni-hamburg.de | "Insert wise
University of Hamburg | Phone: (++49 40) 4123-6151 | and witty

Eat the music.

Nov 15, 1993, 9:57:14 PM11/15/93
>I would be happy to make available for anonymous FTP a photograph of
>Bill "I love your wife" Dickson and the wife in question.
>
>Gary Olvsen is in the picture, too.

All right, all right. How much do you want for the negative?

Bill D., Supreme Court Justice from the Stars

| Who said anything about it hurting? | William R. Dickson |
| It's gonna be wonderful | Int'l M00se Illuminati |
| It's gonna be beautiful | w...@beer.wa.com |
| It's gonna be paradise |------------------------|
| -- Kate Bush | Read Superguy! |

they're very slowly getting away!

Nov 16, 1993, 1:38:00 AM11/16/93
Jimbo:

>I would be happy to make available for anonymous FTP a photograph of
>Bill "I love your wife" Dickson and the wife in question.
>Gary Olvsen is in the picture, too.

...notably not showing any amorous appearances towards the wife in question.

As far as ftp pictures go, I have a picture of myself, Bill D, Jimbo, and
The Wife, along with not one, not two, not three, but *four* yard-tall
glasses of finely brewed beer.

A fifth person, Evan (who claims to be smarter than all of us, as he has
not signed onto the POLITICS list at all), is also present. He is not
drinking beer.

/^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\
| Gary W. Olson | "The power of accurate observation is called
| sw...@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu | cynicism by those who do not have it."
| sw...@drycas.bitnet | - George Bernard Shaw
\_____________________________/

Eat the music.

Nov 16, 1993, 2:54:02 AM11/16/93
>Jimbo:
>>I would be happy to make available for anonymous FTP a photograph of
>>Bill "I love your wife" Dickson and the wife in question.
>>Gary Olvsen is in the picture, too.
>
>...notably not showing any amorous appearances towards the wife in question.
>
>As far as ftp pictures go, I have a picture of myself, Bill D, Jimbo, and
>The Wife, along with not one, not two, not three, but *four* yard-tall
>glasses of finely brewed beer.

Come to think of it....(rummage, rummage)....I have a very similar picture,
along with a shot of me, Jimbo, Gary, and that mysterious Evan person
standing in a restaurant that served a fine vegetarian gumbo. Our eyes are
glowing red.

I also have a nice silhouette shot of "Xanthippe", but I won't scan it
unless she asks me to.

Bill D., Supreme Court Justice from the Stars.

K=A*T

Nov 16, 1993, 9:14:39 AM11/16/93
On Mon, 15 Nov 1993 09:32:51 PST Jonathan Fisher said:

>Yeh, I do. CNN played a tape of Rollins' statement saying that he paid
>ministers not to preach to their congregation. So, Rollins' backtracking
>notwithstanding, the Whitman campaign did indeed pay people not to vote.
>Further, Whitman's brother is quoted on CSPAN saying that they worked to
>lower voter turnout in areas that would go to Florio.
>
>In and of itself, this is morally despicable. However, it's very difficult
>to see an illegalities here.

But aren't the people who hire Rollins usually the same
crowd that believe laws are (should be) based on
morality?

>Jonathan

--KAT

Steve Cohen

Nov 16, 1993, 10:33:17 AM11/16/93
Clift and Rollins are friends (this is news to me):

Are they really friends? Just curious.

But now for more important news. In an NY Times editorial (yesterdays),
William Safire quoted an Associated Press story. This story says that
During the 1976 elections, Jimmy Carter's Campaign handed out money to influenc
the vote. This is just one of the cases cited where Democrats handed out
money to buy votes. Democrats buying votes, ohmygosh! Even Jimmy "The
Great Moral One" Carter (by the way what makes him moral?)! So you
better watch your spoons when Democrats are around.

IN a related story, Andrew Ross was seen stealing spoons from the
Virtual Restaurant. He escaped in a get-a-way car with Pat Shroedor ;-).

Steve Cohen
most Conservatives aren't thieves

Jimmy -Jimbo- Wales

Nov 16, 1993, 11:40:08 AM11/16/93
>>I would be happy to make available for anonymous FTP a photograph of
>>Bill "I love your wife" Dickson and the wife in question.
>
>How exactly do you make a *photograph* available for FTP?

Uh, really wide bandwidth?

I of course meant: a file containing binary encoding which, when processed
appropriately, will render a reasonable facsimile of my photograph on your
computer monitor.

--Jimbo

Jean E. Mulrenan

Nov 16, 1993, 1:14:03 AM11/16/93

>But now for more important news. In an NY Times editorial (yesterdays),
>William Safire quoted an Associated Press story. This story says that
>During the 1976 elections, Jimmy Carter's Campaign handed out money to
>influenc
>the vote. This is just one of the cases cited where Democrats handed out
>money to buy votes. Democrats buying votes, ohmygosh! Even Jimmy "The
>Great Moral One" Carter (by the way what makes him moral?)! So you
>better watch your spoons when Democrats are around.

I would like the cites on this story if you still have the article, Steve.

>IN a related story, Andrew Ross was seen stealing spoons from the
>Virtual Restaurant. He escaped in a get-a-way car with Pat Shroedor ;-).

Most conservatives obviously do not know how to spell. Dan Quayle, Kurt
Kruschinska and now Steve Cohen. It's SCHROEDER not Shroedor!

>Steve Cohen
>most Conservatives aren't thieves

ROFL!!! Can you spell W-A-T-E-R-G-A-T-E?

Jean, an honest yet lovely liberal
Jean E. Mulrenan
User Services, Office of University Computing
University of Notre Dame
631-8111 (mornings) 631-8858 (afternoons)

"While others may argue about whether the world ends with a bang or a whimper,
I just want to make sure mine doesn't end with a whine." -
Barbara Gordon

Andrew MacRae

Nov 16, 1993, 11:41:04 AM11/16/93
In article 010...@midget.towson.edu, Steve Cohen <co...@MIDGET.TOWSON.EDU> () writes:
>Clift and Rollins are friends (this is news to me):

Why? Do you have some kind of private line to Ed Rollins to let you know who
his friend are and are not? Did you know (I didn't) that David G. was a close
friend of Clinton's before he joined the White House staff? I think you will
find that there are a lot of unusual friendships in politics. (Example: JFK
and Barry Goldwater.)

>> Thanks to the wonders of telecomunication, I "was" there yesterday afternoon.
>> On the McGloughlan Group Ellenor Clift described the scene (she was there in
>> reality) then they played a tape recording of his statements. Clift reported
>> that there was a moment of shock around the table after he spoke as all the
>> reporters reflected on what a dumb thing that was to say.

>Are they really friends? Just curious.

Well, she claimed that they were all friends at the table. The others on
the show concurred that just about every journalist in Washington is friends
with Ed Rollins, that he is a likeable guy. This is one reason why the story
got such play, none of the journalists who heard him could believe he would
be lying to them.

Andrew MacRae

Steve Cohen

Nov 16, 1993, 2:03:04 PM11/16/93
On Tue, 16 Nov 1993, Jean E. Mulrenan wrote:

> I would like the cites on this story if you still have the article, Steve.

Sorry, but I don't have the article anymore. I wnet over to the
periodicals department of my library and they don't have it anymore
either. I am going to another University to use their computor lab (ours
sucks) and while I am there I'll go to their library to see if they have
the article (just for you :-) )

> Jean, an honest yet lovely liberal
> Jean E. Mulrenan
> User Services, Office of University Computing
> University of Notre Dame
> 631-8111 (mornings) 631-8858 (afternoons)
>
> "While others may argue about whether the world ends with a bang or a whimper,
> I just want to make sure mine doesn't end with a whine." -
> Barbara Gordon

Steve Cohen
an honest Conservative

ar...@oregon.uoregon.edu

Nov 16, 1993, 9:01:18 PM11/16/93
In article <POLITICS%9311161...@UCF1VM.CC.UCF.EDU>, "Jean E. Mulrenan" <Jean.E.M...@ND.EDU> writes:
This is just one of the cases cited where Democrats handed out
>>money to buy votes. Democrats buying votes, ohmygosh! Even Jimmy "The
>>Great Moral One" Carter (by the way what makes him moral?)! So you
>>better watch your spoons when Democrats are around.
>
>I would like the cites on this story if you still have the article, Steve.

Yes, and so would I. "Just one of the cases," Steve? What, pray tell, are the
other cases? Or was that a typical Republican lie like the news item you
invented below:

>>IN a related story, Andrew Ross was seen stealing spoons from the
>>Virtual Restaurant. He escaped in a get-a-way car with Pat Shroedor ;-).
>
>Most conservatives obviously do not know how to spell. Dan Quayle, Kurt
>Kruschinska and now Steve Cohen. It's SCHROEDER not Shroedor!
>
>>Steve Cohen
>>most Conservatives aren't thieves
>
>ROFL!!! Can you spell W-A-T-E-R-G-A-T-E?
>Jean, an honest yet lovely liberal

You know, Jean...I don't think he can. You'll be a great Senator!

Andrew Ross, who would be proud to go on the lam with Pat Schroeder. Or Jean.

Jonathan Fisher

Nov 16, 1993, 4:35:03 PM11/16/93
From: Steve Cohen <co...@MIDGET.TOWSON.EDU>

> On Mon, 15 Nov 1993, Andrew MacRae wrote:

> > > In his previous statement, he was speaking to friends, [...]

I guess that this has been around long enough to refute. He was talking
with reporters. He knew that he was talking with reporters. He wanted to
talk with reporters.

> [...]

> But now for more important news. In an NY Times editorial (yesterdays),
> William Safire quoted an Associated Press story. This story says that
> During the 1976 elections, Jimmy Carter's Campaign handed out money to influe
nc

> the vote. This is just one of the cases cited where Democrats handed out

> money to buy votes. Democrats buying votes, ohmygosh! Even Jimmy "The
> Great Moral One" Carter (by the way what makes him moral?)! So you
> better watch your spoons when Democrats are around.

Well, from what I understand, paying people to go vote is a time-honored
tradition. Some ways are more explicit than others. This is both from
the GOP as well as the DNC.
The difference here is that the GOP is paying people to _not_ tell
people to go vote.

> Steve Cohen
> most Conservatives aren't thieves

Jonathan

Rick George

Nov 17, 1993, 4:47:34 AM11/17/93
The cite from the Safire piece is as follows:

"On Aug. 9, 1976, the A.P. reported: 'The Jimmy Carter campaign gave
donations to black ministers who supported him in the California primary
and paid out other 'street money' that was not properly accounted for,
The Los Angeles Times said in its Sunday editions.'"

As Safire notes, street money or walking around money is certainly nothing
new. He concludes his column with: "The hypocrisy here is in the
feigned ignornace."

The piece appears in Monday's (11-15) New York Times.

...Rick

Kerry Stephenson

Nov 17, 1993, 10:33:30 AM11/17/93
I think we have a problem with our linkages here:

>Most conservatives obviously do not know how to spell. Dan Quayle, Kurt
>Kruschinska and now Steve Cohen. It's SCHROEDER not Shroedor!
>
>>Steve Cohen
>>most Conservatives aren't thieves
>
>ROFL!!! Can you spell W-A-T-E-R-G-A-T-E?
>Jean, an honest yet lovely liberal

Fact is, most *people* don't steal. But, oddly, *many*
politicians--of all parties, and in all *nations*--do.
At least, they are *caught* at it on a fairly regular
basis (same as they are caught having highly illicit sex
on a regular basis, though they seem to be
disproportionately of the moron persuasion!
:-) ). I would guess that whether or not
one is a politician is a MUCH more reliable
indicator of whether one steals than
is one's political party.

--Santana Vixen, Mistress of the Night

"Politics and Crime--they're the same
thing..." --Mario Puzo

(Apologies to Billy Joel): Watergate; Teapot
Dome; Hamilton Jordan; Bert Lance; Richard Allen;
all the Dulleses; Bobby Baker; Bebe Rebozo;
Joseph P. Kennedy; Honey Fitz; virtually
every government the Japanese or the Italians
have had since World War II; Mexico since the
turn of the century; AbScam; Richard Daley
(the first); Tammany Hall; Huey P. Long;
the Keating Five; the Gang of Four;
Boss Tweed; Adam Clayton Powell; Ferdinand and
Imelda; the Duvaliers; Stalin; the X-Armen...
no, just kidding. I hope you get the point.
(And this doesn't even *start* on the dozens
of *local* official embezzlements, graft,
bribery, and other felonious behavior
uncovered on a daily basis around the world--
in *all* parties!)

daens...@cissys.read.tasc.com

Nov 17, 1993, 10:40:03 AM11/17/93

> Most conservatives obviously do not know how to spell. Dan Quayle, Kurt
>
> Jean, an honest yet lovely liberal

antidisestablishmentarianism!

(Didn't even have to look it up!)
Danno