French & EC

Robert sprg0002@tulsajc.bitnet

Sep 14, 1992, 3:39:56 PM9/14/92
Just wondering, what's the current prognosis on the French EC vote?
Last I heard, the "No" side had the advantage.

---Robert

"Abortion has saved us from looking at a lot of childish art"

CMOR...@snyescva.bitnet

Sep 14, 1992, 5:51:00 PM9/14/92
As of this morning, it's slightly in favor of yes or even depending on
which poll you want to listen to, but nobody is willing to make any
serious bets. Does this situation sound familiar to anybody? I think
a whole lot of people got burned by the British election.

Chris Morrison
8 Renfrewshire Drive
Middletown, NY 10940-1405
(914) 692-2770 (Voice after 2pm Eastern, please!!!)
CMor...@snyescva.bitnet, 70712,3102 CompuServe, vxpp48a prodigy

Dunstan_Vavasour

Sep 15, 1992, 2:41:36 AM9/15/92
Robert:

Still too close to call. Mitterand has made the mistake of staking his
political future on it (as has M. Delors), which may tip the balance
to "non". My gut feeling is that they will say "oui", but we may yet
be in luck ...

Dunstan

SPRG...@tulsajc.bitnet

Sep 15, 1992, 9:54:33 AM9/15/92
*** Resending note of 09/15/92 02:43

> Just wondering, what's the current prognosis on the French EC vote?
> Last I heard, the "No" side had the advantage.
>
> ---Robert

>>Still too close to call. Mitterand has made the mistake of staking his

>>political future on it (as has M. Delors), which may tip the balance
>>to "non". My gut feeling is that they will say "oui", but we may yet
>>be in luck ...
>>Dunstan

Well, here's hoping for the big "N O".

---Robert

MARTIN FOX

Sep 15, 1992, 11:10:40 AM9/15/92
Why are you (or ya'll in the vernacular) against EC? Unity of economy etc.
could lead to greater unity throughout world. (Excuse my Utopian sendtiments.)
And thus to decrease in war and general misery in world...

-Martin

SPRG...@tulsajc.bitnet

Sep 15, 1992, 12:18:49 PM9/15/92
*** Resending note of 09/15/92 10:53

> Why are you (or ya'll in the vernacular) against EC? Unity of economy etc.

>could lead to greater unity throughout world.(Excuse my Utopian sendtiments.)

>And thus to decrease in war and general misery in world...

>Martin

Economic unity ( eventual single currency ) = partial loss of sovereignty.
Partial loss of sovereignty = 1st step to political unity.
Political unity = more powerful government.
Power = corruption.

War and misery will not cease as a result of unification, only the terms
used to refer to them. War will become "ethnic struggles" and misery will
become "government control".

Most of us probably prefer city regulation as opposed to state, then state
as opposed to federal. The reason for this is that the closer government is
to the people, the more control they have of it and the less chance of
abuse of power. Wouldn't the same hold true on a worldwide basis? I think
so. Big government loses touch with the people and eventually the people
become an obstacle to that government.

I am not advocating what many ludicrously call *isolationism*. Cooperation
among independent nations is in everyone's best interest. Relinquishing
economic and/or political sovereignty is not.

---Robert

Jason Briggs Cormier

Sep 15, 1992, 4:02:31 PM9/15/92
Martin:

I think you are too idealistic. Humanity requires
hate(read my editorial in this week's paper), which
in turn leads to division and war and the like.

Humanity cannot live without it. We haven't matured
to that point yet.

Therefore, we shouldn't try to do something for which
our collective pshyche isn't ready.

j.b.

MARTIN FOX

Sep 16, 1992, 12:50:19 PM9/16/92
j.b:

I didn't realize you were on this forum. I'll check in the paper (which
one?) for editorial. But -- before reading it, let me make a general state-
ment of principle: Yes, Humanity requires hate, and the U.S., after the cold
war seems to be searching for enemy (My explanation for Bush's war w/ Iraq is
this, along with greed, another really common motavating factor...)

However, I think this need for hate could be artifically satisfied. I don't
have much of an idea of how to go about it -- most American movies might
provide a clue (although they may be symptoms).

Yes, I'm an Idealist and admit it freely. Ideals, I feel though, are the only
thing that can change things. Sorry, I don't believe in either fate or an
unstoppable "Psyche of Humanity" than can't change course.

-Martin

Tim Johnson

Sep 16, 1992, 1:11:43 PM9/16/92
>Yes, Humanity requires hate ...

>However, I think this need for hate could be artifically satisfied. I don't
>have much of an idea of how to go about it -- most American movies might
>provide a clue (although they may be symptoms).

How 'bout English Soccer?

-Tim

linda

Sep 16, 1992, 5:16:00 PM9/16/92

> How 'bout English Soccer?

> -Tim

nintendo

-linda

Jason Briggs Cormier

Sep 16, 1992, 7:17:19 PM9/16/92

> How 'bout English Soccer?

Can I suggest that Germany is one of those countries which
loves "soccer" and at the same time loves to hate(see
recent violence against Auslaender).

j.b.
> -Tim

Tim Johnson

Sep 16, 1992, 8:25:18 PM9/16/92
> Can I suggest that Germany is one of those countries which
> loves "soccer" and at the same time loves to hate(see
> recent violence against Auslaender).

I dunno, let's have a vote. I'm not sure you have enough
politics seniority to suggest things here yet. Given that
the breach of etiquette has already occurred, though....

Maybe we should encourage rioting at soccer games in Germany.
You suppose that would give the Turks a break?

Or could it be that the original point was just moronic. That
there is some sort of hate RDA for the human soul. Or, for that
matter, that "ideals" accomplish anything at all.

But really, thanks for taking my post so seriously. It gives
me a warm feeling to know that some of our best minds here on
politics are devoting such time and effort and concentration on
my thoughts.

-Tim"really grumpy today"J

MARTIN FOX

Sep 17, 1992, 11:16:12 AM9/17/92
Robert:
Okay, Okay - I got it the first time, and was too busy to respond.

Yes, Corruption can take place in a unified "Big" Govmt. But that's not
ness. the case -- corruption can and does take place in all govmnts. It is
possible, though, to preserve local, state and national sovreignty within the
framework of a superstructural international system, such as the UN or EC.

I'm not accusing you of being an isolationist. You are, though, being Semi-
Merchantilistic. It seems important to me that all people work together for
the betterment of all rather than dividing themselves up into subsections, such
as Americans, Christians, Westerners etc. International organizations bind
groups together rather than creating a diachotomy (sp?) of "Us
vs. "Them" (Sorry - primitive word processor). Groups within societies -and
this includes nations and regions within nations, when exposed to one another
in productive works can cooperate rather than compete. You don't even need
(Delete "even" - I Can't) an overpowering international organization to
create unity and cooperation.

-Martin