Fun with your Van de Graaff (fwd)

Daniel L. MacIsaac

Jun 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/4/95
There is a book called TEACHING ABOUT ELECTROSTATICS: AN AAPT/PTRA-PLUS
WORKSHOP MANUAL by Robert Morse, available from AAPT or PTRA for about $10.
The book uses modern disposable stuff (plastic, foil, straws, popcans, styro
cups, etc) to replace Ben Franklin's historic disposable stuff (thread, sealing
wax etc) and replicate many of Franklin's expts for elementary through HS
students. Students build their own electrometers, indicating electrophorus,
automatic electrophorus (induction machine like a whimhurst generator) etc
for under a dollar. A nice resource, and Morse presents at AAPTs a lot.

I really like the use of Neon bulbs to determine polarities and indicate
low level electrostatic charges. Well worth checking out.

Dan M

'Thought is not merely expressed in words; it comes into existence through them'
- Lev S Vygotsky, Thought and Language Ch 7
Dan MacIsaac dan...@physics.purdue.edu Visiting Assistant Professor of Physics
Hire a recent Physics Education graduate TODAY! Email for details!!

*******snip*******
> An electrostatics demo scenario.
>
> One of my favorite electrostatics demos with a Van de Graaff is the
> dissectable capacitor. Welch has a version for $33. It's two aluminum cups
*******snip********>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Dr. Donald E. Simanek Office: 717-893-2079
> Prof. of Physics Internet: dsim...@eagle.lhup.edu
> Lock Haven University, Lock Haven, PA. 17745 CIS: 73147,2166
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Daniel L. MacIsaac

Jun 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/5/95
Hi Guntbert,

I looked it up in the AAPT (American Assn of Phys Tchrs) catalogue. The
manual lists at $30.00 (sorry :(, but comes on disk so you can edit/reproduce
to meet your own needs and wishes (MacWrite for Macintosh).

TEACHING ABOUT ELECTROSTATICS, Robert A Morse.

WSD-01 (1.5 oz; disk only) is $30,
WSP-01 (15 oz, paper) is also $30.
It looks like you buy them separately

I have the book myself (I attended a presentation at a Summer Workshop Physics
conference at Dickinson Univ).

Publication Sales,
American Association of Physics Teachers,
One Physics Ellipse,
College Park, MD 20740-3845
USA

20% discount for AAPT members who order $30 or more
Phone 301-209-3300
FAX 301-209-0845

I don't know how AAPT deals with foreign currency and cheques, etc (probably
badly). If I can help, I will. I'm thinking of ordering the disks in any
case. AAPT is on the web, but I don't think their catalogue is. Morse
himself is listed at email: 75176...@compserve.com
in the 1994 AAPT directory

Dan M

'Thought is not merely expressed in words; it comes into existence through them'
- Lev S Vygotsky, Thought and Language Ch 7
Dan MacIsaac dan...@physics.purdue.edu Visiting Assistant Professor of Physics
Hire a recent Physics Education graduate TODAY! Email for details!!

Guntbert Reiter