Sunset/Blue sky demo

Tony Wayne

Jun 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/5/95
According to David Thiessen:

> A student asked if I could add something which would scatter red light
> causing the sky to be red and the sunset blue. I told him I would post his
> question on the Physhare List. Any suggestions ?? Thanks, David

-
Could you pour the contents of the one container through a
filter into another tank?
-tony

--
Tony Wayne Those that can, do,
wa...@pen.k12.va.us -those that understand, teach.

David Thiessen

Jun 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/5/95
Hi Physics Phriends !

I recently did a sunset demo where I passed a bright beam of white light
through clear water in a ten gallon acquarium tank. I slowly added
non-dairy creamer to the water, stirring thoroughly. As more and more
creamer was added, more and more blue light was scattered from the beam
("blue sky") causing the "sun" to become redder and redder. Hint to those
new to this demo, start with very small amounts of non-dairy creamer.

A student asked if I could add something which would scatter red light
causing the sky to be red and the sunset blue. I told him I would post his
question on the Physhare List. Any suggestions ?? Thanks, David

David R. Thiessen
Science Department
Deerfield High School FUN + PHYSICS = PHUN
Deerfield, IL 60015
Home phone (815) 337-2883 PHYSICS IS PHUN !!
School phone (708) 405-8488
Voice Mail (708) 374-3811 then *610
School Fax (708) 945-0970

dthi...@nslsilus.org

Brion G. Patterson

Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95
Adding 10 cc conc sulfuric acid to a sodium thiosulfate
solution will precipitate out particles to gradually cause a
sunset
-Brion