Zip: IBM/MAC problem

Peggy Bair

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
Dear Friends,

Am I just the dork dinosaur or what? I finally got an internal Zip drive for
my IBM PC and after playing twister for an hour, I got it installed properly.

But now it's saying that the Zip disk I put in it (with all my stored images
from the workplace Mac) that the disk "isn't formatted" and do I want to
format it? Grrrrr. Is it asking me to reformat it for IBM instead of Mac?

Somebody tell me there's a way to open the images on my IBM PC that I've
saved via Mac...

Other solutions?

PEGG...@AOL.com

Steven E. Frischling

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
Peggy:

A Mac can read a PC disk, but a PC can not
read a Mac disk. A Windows machine will read
any and all Mac formatted disks as disks
that are unformatted.

If you want your Win95/Win98 machine to read
your Mac disks you need software that will
let your Win95/Win98. I know some people who
use Mac Opener v4.0 for Windows, I know I have
used and been very happy with MacDrive98 (I had
the 95 version, wil lget the new one very soon).
Both of these programs are about $60 from
MicroWarehouse. It is well worth the money if
you work in a cross platform environment, or
use Mac at work and PC at home (or vise-versa).

You can get to MicroWarehouse online at :
http://www.microwarehouse.com
or call them at
1(800)646-3003

Happy Hunting

Steven E. Frischling
Photojournalist
1(516)791-6114 - Voice
1(630)982-5179 - Fax
ste...@frischling.com
http://www.frischling.com/steven
-
Basic Elemental, Instinct To Survive,
Stirs The Higher Passions, Thrill To Be Alive
-

Sent by Discovery Mail

T. Rob Brown

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
Peggy,

You need to write your pics on the Mac at work onto a PC-formatted ZIP Disk.
Usually, they come pre-formatted for PC. A few brands offer Mac
versions...but either can be reformatted.

What you need to do is just get a PC ZIP disk take it to work and save your
pictures down to it on the Mac.

Mac can read both PC and Mac formats. The PC can only read PC format.

Hope that helps,

T. Rob Brown
photo editor (no longer copy editor...go figure why they even thought that
would work?!?!?!?)
Branson (Mo.) Tri-Lakes Daily News

Raj Chawla

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
I know that at work we have to have the ZIPs formatted for PC. They'll read
fine in the MAC, but not the other way around. Maybe I'm wrong (me-dork),
but I'm pretty sure about this.

take the zip to work, save the images on the hard drive, reformat the zip
for PC, then copy the images back, being careful to not exceed eight
characters plus an extension. for instance, photo.JPG or photo.PSD or
photo.TIF

Hope this helps!!

Raj Chawla
Staff Photographer
The Burlington (VT) Free Press

---
Raj Chawla <rajp...@earthlink.net>

T. Rob Brown

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
Actually, you can go longer than an 8-character extension.

If you're using Win95 or 98, it will read just fine.

If you're using Win 3.1 it will truncate the rest and put a ~ in the
filename to show it has been shortened.

But, what he said is safer, since the original PCs only had 8-character file
names (plus the extension, which defined the type of file).

T. Rob Brown
photo editor

The Branson (Mo.) Tri-Lakes Daily News

T. Rob Brown

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
oops.

I didn't mean an 8-character extension. I meant an 8-character filename with
3-character extension.

My bad.

T. Rob

Rick Musacchio

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
In a message dated 5/5/99 9:58:20 PM, tbr...@INTER-LINC.NET writes:

<< I didn't mean an 8-character extension. I meant an 8-character filename
with
3-character extension. >>

The overall length of the name is not as important as the file extension. If
you don't add it when moving from the hard drive to the zip, your windows
machine will not recognize the file. You will have to use the rename option
with the right mouse button to correct the problem by adding the extension.

If you are going to do very much cross platform work, then you may want to
change the save prefs in the Mac PhotoShop to automatically append the file
extension when you save. It doesn't interfere with Mac files at all. The
only change is that you can tell by a glance at the slug whether it's a JPEG
or a tiff.

Ted Andkilde

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
At 07:55 PM 5/5/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Dear Friends,
>
>Am I just the dork dinosaur or what? I finally got an internal Zip drive for
>my IBM PC and after playing twister for an hour, I got it installed properly.
>
>But now it's saying that the Zip disk I put in it (with all my stored images
>from the workplace Mac) that the disk "isn't formatted" and do I want to
>format it? Grrrrr. Is it asking me to reformat it for IBM instead of Mac?
>
>Somebody tell me there's a way to open the images on my IBM PC that I've
>saved via Mac...
>
>Other solutions?
>
>PEGG...@AOL.com

There are a number of commercial apps for opening mac files on a PC.

I've also got a shareware DOS program that I can send you if you'd like,
it's a bit of a kludge to use (it works with DOS command-line style
operations) but it does a good job.

FWIW, if you use PC formatted disks (Zip or Floppy) they will work fine
on
almost all Macs except for a few with older versions of Mac OS.

Cheers, Ted

Ted Andkilde mailto:t...@picturedesk.org
Windsor/Detroit http://photo.rogue.org
Tel: 519-735-1991 Pager: 519-561-7489