Card reader problems

1 view

Shane F. Iseminger

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
At 5/6/99 10:55 PM, T. Rob Brown (tbr...@inter-linc.net) wrote:
>We have an Adaptec SCSI card, but the only thing I can get to work on it are
>the NC2000e bodies.

This is a common problem with the new machines.

It's not the Mac OS so much as it is the fact that these machines have a
heavily revised hardware architecture. Apple threw in some revisions to
a part of the hardware called Open Firmware that changed how the computer
talks to the cards. I would check with Adaptec for troubleshooting this.
Check their web site for compatibility notes on your card model with the
new machines. They may have a firmware update for the card that fixes the
situation. Given that Adaptec does a lot of Mac business, you can bet
they're making sure their cards work in the newest systems.

I don't think this is a Mac OS 8.5 bug. I have several machines running
the OS and they all see their SCSI devices just fine. I recently set up a
blue/white G3 with an Orange Micro Grappler SCSI card which also has no
SCSI problems. If the Mac OS really prevented people from using SCSI
devices, Apple would have a class-action lawsuit on their hands by now.

I'm not sure that virtual memory would cause this problem. VM is
remarkably trouble-free in 8.5 (a far cry from the problems of System
7.5). If for some reason it's a problem with 8.5, the 8.6 update should
be released on Monday. Watch for that and download it, as it fixes bugs
in 8.5 (and there are bugs) and also makes some substantial
under-the-hood improvements (even uses _less_ memory!)

FYI, a good site to check with for problems relating to the latest Mac
hardware/software is www.macfixit.com.

Shane Iseminger
sh...@ethosmedia.com

E T H O S M E D I A - www.ethosmedia.com - 415.332.2733