Editorial Advertizing?

1 view

Gary Stelzer

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
A few days ago, I get an assignment sheet telling me (I'm just paraphrasing)
to take a photo of some sorority who was taking delivery on some 20,000+
flowers that they had previously sold. They were being delivered to the 4H
fairgrounds and that the people who had ordered them were going to pick the
flowers up this weekend. Then in all caps it read "SEE (_blank_) SHE WILL
HELP SET UP THE PHOTO." I did not think much of this at the time. I thought
that it was just a way to get me a contact person if I need one.
When I arrived at the fairgrounds, I saw people unloading flowers, at a
rapid pace. I decided to try and capture this action on film. Thinking that
the story was on the flowers, I focused on one of the flowers useing a small
aperture to blur the back ground (and the sorority sisters unloading them).
I walked away thinking I had made the best photo possible, that told the story.
Tonight, I get a voice mail from the ME about my flower shot. she said (and
I'm quoting) "I'm wondering if you have any other selections [of the flowers
shoot]... anything with faces of the members of the sorority. I know it
won't be the greatest shot. But after all that's the point of them calling
us, so that we can get (very short pause, then some quick back pedalling)
Well, I guess my point is..."
Now, my question is. Is this an editorial shot or an advertizing shot? It
was an editorial assignment. To be used on the editorial side of the paper.
But when people start calling us, telling us what to shoot, doesn't it
become advertizing. and in this case free advertizing? This kind of thing
goes on in our news room quite a bit, but NEVER this blatantly.
Thoughts?

I did scan in an other photo as requested. And I'm pretty sure which one
will run. And I'm also pretty sure that I will request a conversation with
the ME regarding the photo. Please help me tear down the wall, one pebble at
a time.
Thanks in advance
-g
--------------
Please check out my Online Portfolio at: http://www.lneti.com/users/l/logan/
Coments and sugestions are always welcomed at: Lo...@diablo.lneti.com

Gary Stelzer

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
At 10:08 AM 5/7/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Gary,
>
>I have more questions than answers this time.
>
>As photo editor, I side with your ME. You turned in one "out of focus" image.
>She had an idea what she wanted to see and you had got the idea that it was
>an advertising photo.
>
>Subjects: Women, 20K + flowers, truck and customers. I would have asked for a
>page.

In theory, you are correct. Given time and planning (both of which we did
not have with this assignment), the event could have been a page. I have
made the suggestion several times on other assignments. After reading an
assignment slip or coming back from an assignment, I would talk with the ME
and tell her that X assignment would be a good page. Every time I bring this
up, I am told: well that's something we just don't do, maybe we can use two.

>What exactly did your ME say in your voice mail, you cut her off.

>"But after all that's the point of them calling us, so that we can get (very

>short pause, then some quick back pedaling) Well, I guess my point is..."
>
>What IS her point?

My point in quoting her, was that this assignment was not generated in
house, it was a call in. Worthy call in, yes. But I guess I was trying to
address a bigger problem. Every time ANYONE calls in about a tree planting,
ribbon cutting, award presentation, We Jump. No reporters are ever sent to
these 'photo ops'. It's always what THEY want, never what the paper thinks
is a good story. I'm sorry for cutting the ME off, but I was trying to
illustrate the fact that the public generates most of our stories, if not
all of our photo assignments. Her point was that she wanted to get some of
the sorority sisters faces (in focus).

>Sounds like the flower people called your ME and asked for coverage. What's
>the problem?

I have no problem with people calling in and letting us know what's going
on, the problem I have is when Every time someone calls we jump. Have you
ever did a lifestyle photo cover with people holding giant mushrooms? Not a
story on mushroom hunting, but several photos of people just holding
mushrooms and smiling for the camera. this is my problem.

>Did the image you turned in tell a story of all the activity? Where were the
>flowers being loaded to? Who was picking them up?

I felt / feel that the image I turned in told the best possible story, with
one image. One image is all they wanted and one image is all they were going
to use.
the flowers were being unloaded from carts and placed in rows on the floor.
People ordered the flowers months ago, and they are going to pick them up
this weekend. No one was picking up flowers, they were just getting them
ready for pick up.

>You don't say how may other frames you shot or describe the other photo you
>turned in.
>
>Did you talk to anyone, make sources for other stories?

I had just come from an other 'set up shot', where I probably shot 5 or so
frames, it was a award presentation or something. I went through the rest of
the roll at the 'flower' assignment. I took only 2 shots of the (as you put
it out of focus, I like to call it selective focus) flower. I reloaded my
camera and went to find my contact. Talked to her for some time then went on
to my next assignment.

>The old adage goes, "Keep the Ogre happy, shoot one for the Ogre, shoot some
>for yourself, turn in both and discuss them."I really like this as the lede
>photo because it shows the overall scene, and the flurry of activity. The
>secondary shot shows sorority
>sister, (s), unloading and or helping a customer." Two picture package for
>the center piece.

Keep the Ogre happy? at the expense of the other readers, this would be a
disservice to all the rest. Two photos -no, centerpiece -never. the photo
will be played inside, 2 columns if lucky.