Card reader problems, Techies please help.

Shane F. Iseminger

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
At 5/6/99 2:17 PM, Steven R. Wolf (how...@hdc.net) wrote:
>We acquire normally and thumbnails start popping up. No problem until about
>40 images in when we start getting this message:
>
>Unknown error (-108) opening
> image

Steven,

Simple problem. Error -108 is a system error code for "not enough memory"
(don't you wish someone would make these dialog boxes in plain english?)

Simply put, I think you're running Photoshop out of memory. Increase its
memory partition, or aquire less than 40 images (!) at a time.

Shane Iseminger
NPPA-L moderator
sh...@ethosmedia.com

E T H O S M E D I A - www.ethosmedia.com - 415.332.2733

Steven R. Wolf

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
Hi there y'all,

We're in the middle of a major renovation and along with this came the
opportunity to stick a new Mac G3 in the mix on the cusp of our older 9100
crashing and developing big troubles in the system software.

Well, we switched before the big crash and downloaded 5.6.3 of the Kodak
Acquire software. We replaced the File Exchange control panel with the PC
Exchange 2.1.1 which fixed problems we had with card reading (was duly noted
in Mr. Galbraith's book which came in the mail today. Fabulous Rob!!) and
trouble with our sounds jumping around between files.

Now with the new software loaded we are having a problem that goes like
this. Here's where the weirdness begins.

We acquire normally and thumbnails start popping up. No problem until about
40 images in when we start getting this message:

Unknown error (-108) opening
image

And no picture shows up. Its still there, we know, because we can acquire
using the original software that came with the cameras that we loaded as a
back up to the new software. but you can imagine why we wouldn't want to do
that. Color and image quality suck!

As you flip through thumbnail after thumbnail window of the error message
images pop up occasionally but on a four by four screen they will show up in
the 1,3,5,7 (counting across positions) but this may switch on a lower
screen to 2,4,6,8, positions.

If we close the acquire and reopen the acquire, the same thing will happen
but not necessarily identical, other images that were in error before may
show up this time.

The discs have no problem in acquiring images on our travel laptop but that
still has V.5.5.10 on it. but all of our discs have been reformatted with
the 5.6.3 software.

Now that you have background, I'll lay out my thoughts. Its gotta be
something with the software like before. Mac-PC Manager, the software that
came with the Microtech card reader, has also been installed, but I don't
think it needs be, but it must because the reader needs to be run by some
driver. Or will the PC Exchange control panel provide a driver for the
reader and I can toss the Mac-PC Manager away?

Our laptop does not have the Mac-PC manager on it at all. And no problem.
I'm looking for suggestions to try before I spend a night without sleep
after deadline trying every combination imaginable to get it to work. Not to
mention formatting the cards so many times to be sure were on the same page
there.

I'm being held hostage by a 2x3 disc drive, please help.

Integrity,

Steven R. Wolf
Staff photographer, Aberdeen American News www.aberdeennews.com
howler@ hdc.net http://users.hdc.net/howler/site/
and http://www.fortunecity.com/business/jm/247

T. Rob Brown

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
Our card reader we bought from AP does not work on the G3 at all.

We have an Adaptec SCSI card, but the only thing I can get to work on it are
the NC2000e bodies.

I had to keep the card reader on the old Quadra.

For some odd reason, the card reader worked on the G3 for about a month,
quit, we sent it into the shop, they said nothing was wrong, it still
doesn't work on the G3 but is fine on the Quadra. Weird.

I figured it was the virtual memory, turned that off, but still no card
reader. SCSI Probe software finds the card reader, but Photoshop/NC2000e
plug-in cannot.

Our computer tech guy swears up and down it's the new Mac OS that's on the
G3s. For awhile, the camera bodies weren't even working properly on the G3
with virtual memory turned on. For the last month, though, no problems
having virtual memory turned on and acquiring from the cameras. I've
acquired as many as 62 pics at once with no memory problems. I have
Photoshop hyped up to use most of the 64 MB RAM, besides what the system
(Finder) needs.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get the card reader to work, let me
know. Yes, I checked the SCSI chain cables and the SCSI ID nums.

T. Rob Brown
photo editor
The Branson (Mo.) Tri-Lakes Daily News