Planning for maintenance on a DHCP server. -Reply

Joe Acquisto

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
I expect this maintenance should not exceed a couple of hours. (FLW's)

If you execute this maintenance during a low usage period, when users are
inactive, there could be an extended time period where no DHCP activity is
required. So, my thought is, you may need to do nothing special, just rebuild,
leaving DHCP down for that time period.

However, copying DHCPtab should work, I think, but pay attention that you have
the "stand in" server setup on the same IP subnet(s) as the original. And that
its address(s) not fall in an area of conflict.

FWIW

Joe Acquisto, LAN Admin.
Computer Services, HAB 50
SUNY at New Paltz

914-257-3134 Voice
914-257-6900 FAX

>>> David Hayling <d.ha...@WYE.AC.UK> 05/07/99 10:25am >>>
I'm looking for some advice prior to carrying out planned maintenance. I
am running a DHCP server (ver 2.10p) on a INW4.11 box patched to iwsp5b.
It is serving fully dynamic addresses to several hundred PC's and Macs
on two connected subnets. The hard disks are not in a RAID array. I need
to change one of the hard disks, before it fails, it is currently
sounding a little rough at the moment.

Can anyone advise me how best to carry out such a maintenance operation
with regards to providing a DHCP service. I'm quite happy with the
various TIDs from Novell about hardware maintenance in INW4.11
environment. What I am looking for is advice on how to maintain a DHCP
service.

Should I unload DHCP from the current box, copy the dhcp tab file over
to an alternative box and bring up a dhcp server on this? Or should I
bring an entirely new dhcp server into action and get it serving
addresses (a different set of addresses) for some while before bringing
the main one down? Currently the lease time for the addresses is four
days.

Thanks in advance.
David

David Hayling