Directories & Files Disappear after using AutoCAD R14.

1 view

Bryan C. Bross

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
We have a problem on a Netware v4.1 server and NT v4.0 clients
running Novell Client v4.5. It has happened to us twice in the last two
years. Whole directories simply disappear. It would seem impossible because
the directories have the "Delete-Inhibit" attibute enabled. Also, the first
time this happened, several hundred megabytes disappeared in a large
subdirectory on the server. However, the "free space remaining" reported by
the fileserver for that volume did not change. It was like the files and
directories were all still there, but we had no way to get to them. It
resulted in us having to restore the volume from tape. DS was hosed, vrepair
did not work, and DSrepair was unsuccessful.

This last time it happened last week, we lost several subdirectories of
small size, but the user who noticed it said it occurred after a series of
object selections while in the WBLOCK command. He was going to save the
block in the WBLOCK dialog, and it told him that the directory did not
exist. He was editing the DWG file from that directory when this happened.
He was able to save to local harddisk until we could restore the files and
directory.

Help! This is serious and either Novell or Autodesk need to take
responsibility. Why does Autocad have the ability to do serious damage to
the Novell File System? Damn good thing we have good tape backup every
night.

Bryan C. Bross
Klingner & Associates, P.C.
Quincy, IL

Chris Mangiarelli

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
On Fri, 7 May 1999, Bryan C. Bross wrote:
##Help! This is serious and either Novell or Autodesk need to take
##responsibility. Why does Autocad have the ability to do serious damage to
##the Novell File System? Damn good thing we have good tape backup every
##night.

Been running AutoCAD 14.01 on a INW4.11 network for over a year
without the problem you describe. Students/faculty save work to the
local hard disks, but all AutoCAD program files are run from the network.

INW411 / SP5B / DS 6.02 / TCPN05

***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***
Christopher A. Mangiarelli, CNA PC Network Support Supervisor
WPI College Computer Center Phone: 508-831-5475
c...@wpi.edu http://modoc.wpi.edu/cam/

Jerry Shenk

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
What troubleshooting have you done? I had an issue with AutoCAD 14 just two
weeks ago with what I was told was this very issue. I did a little bit of
sleuthing and found that 'Norman' had moved the entire engineering directory
into his personal directory.

One thing you can to to try to track down what actually happened is to use
file/salvage to see if you can find the files and/or directories that are
missing and see when they disappeared and who the user was who deleted them.
If this is indeed a Netware/AutoCAD problem, you'll want to be able to
track down those details and verify what the user was doing at the time the
files were deleted.

BTW, I'd agree with Bryan - we have 2 clients using AutCAD 14 and NW411 and
neither of them are having this problem....Ahhh...except for Norman;)

===== Original Message from Chris Mangiarelli <NOV...@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
(Novell LAN Interest Group)> at 5/07/99 11:35 am

>Message Forwarded to: jas@mailpage

---Jerry Shenk, Master CNE -
D&E Computer Networking Services, formerly Com Tech Technical Services
(717) 569-5800, http://www.dect.com/jas
Snail Mail: 248 Granite Run Drive * Lancaster, PA 17601
Internet E-mail: j...@dect.com
Office Fax: (717) 560-1682
Personal Fax via www.efax.com: (603) 250-1453