Hostnames for Macs

John Hanna

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
On the DHCP console screen if you go to the address assignment screen it shows
workstation names. As far as I can tell on windows 9x computers this
workstation address is pulled from the identification property under the
network properties. This is great and gives us a great way to keep track of
what address is at what computer. Unfortunately, we have some Macs on
campus. These computers when setup to use DHCP to acquire its IP address show
up on the DHCP console as Unknown.domain.name. Does anyone know how or what I
can set on these Macs to have them report a proper workstation name?

Thanks in advance,
John

John Hanna
Network Services Manager
Coastal Carolina University
PO Box 261954
Conway, SC 29528-6054
(843)349-2150 Fax: (843)349-2990 Email: Jo...@coastal.edu

Kens Mail List Host

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
On 5 May 99 at 13:07, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> On the DHCP console screen if you go to the address assignment screen it shows
> workstation names. As far as I can tell on windows 9x computers this
> workstation address is pulled from the identification property under the
> network properties. This is great and gives us a great way to keep track of
> what address is at what computer. Unfortunately, we have some Macs on
> campus. These computers when setup to use DHCP to acquire its IP address show
> up on the DHCP console as Unknown.domain.name. Does anyone know how or what
> can set on these Macs to have them report a proper workstation name?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> John

Yes, in the latest version of TCP/IP control panel there is a DHCP Client
ID field you can enter. This is version 2.0.2 which ships with MacOS 8.5.1.
HTH
Ian
Ian Kennedy Internet : K...@drl.ox.ac.uk
Applications Programmer/Network Manager Phone : (44) (0)(1865) 224436
Diabetes Research, RI, Oxford, England Fax : (44) (0)(1865) 723826

John Hanna

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
> > On the DHCP console screen if you go to the address assignment screen it
shows
> > workstation names. As far as I can tell on windows 9x computers this
> > workstation address is pulled from the identification property under the
> > network properties. This is great and gives us a great way to keep track of
> > what address is at what computer. Unfortunately, we have some Macs on
> > campus. These computers when setup to use DHCP to acquire its IP address
show
> > up on the DHCP console as Unknown.domain.name. Does anyone know how or
what I
> > can set on these Macs to have them report a proper workstation name?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > John
> >
> Yes, in the latest version of TCP/IP control panel there is a DHCP Client
> ID field you can enter. This is version 2.0.2 which ships with MacOS 8.5.1.
> HTH
> Ian

This has been very helpful. One more question. Where can you enter an ID
field for the DOS/Windows3.x computers?? Yes, we still have a few of those
around.