NW5SP2 and Adaptec 2940

cary

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
SP2 broke the AHA2940.HAM on my (new this week) Dell 4300.

After doing a whole bunch of digging through TIDs, I was able to halt the load
process at Stage 0 and manually load startup.ncf.

AHA2940.HAM loaded last and it clearly generates something like "HAM failed to
register with NPA" error. I replicated the error by loading the driver
manually.

I suspect the NWPALOAD.NLM, which went from 3.01 to 3.02, while NWPA.NLM
stayed at 3.0 for both.

Dropping back to SP1A removed the problem. I'm a touch leery of installing
SP2 and then rolling NWPALOAD back to 3.01 without serious consultation.

Any other similar experiences? Solutions?

Cary Abend
Senior Programmer/Analyst
The George Washington University

Joe Doupnik

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
>SP2 broke the AHA2940.HAM on my (new this week) Dell 4300.

Service Pack 2 for NW 5 is still in beta, so the particular beta
rev is important to know. I have rev 8 installed and it works fine with
an Adaptec 2940 HAM driver.
Here's a tip. In c:\nwserver remove the servcfg.* files (I think
the name is spelled correctly, the only serv*.* files other than server.*)
which hold the current SET configuration info and related stuff. Also remove
NBIHW.CFG (holds P&P detection of adapters) in the same directory. Both will
be recreated upon a new bootup.

>After doing a whole bunch of digging through TIDs, I was able to halt the load
>process at Stage 0 and manually load startup.ncf.
>
>AHA2940.HAM loaded last and it clearly generates something like "HAM failed to
>register with NPA" error. I replicated the error by loading the driver
>manually.

Maybe your machine has an addressing conflict.

>I suspect the NWPALOAD.NLM, which went from 3.01 to 3.02, while NWPA.NLM
>stayed at 3.0 for both.
>
>Dropping back to SP1A removed the problem. I'm a touch leery of installing
>SP2 and then rolling NWPALOAD back to 3.01 without serious consultation.
>
>Any other similar experiences? Solutions?

I suggest checking things carefully, and if it persists then please
file a lengthy report with Novell. That's what open betas are about and you
can help nail bugs.
Joe D.

Jeffrey C. Ollie

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
Joe Doupnik wrote:

> >SP2 broke the AHA2940.HAM on my (new this week) Dell 4300.
>
> Service Pack 2 for NW 5 is still in beta [...]

Novell released service pack 2 on 4 May 1999, and it showed up on the
minimum patch list on 5 May 1999.

NetWare 5 Support Pack 2
<http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/tidfinder.cgi?2950625>

Jeff