Groupwise 5.5 BackUp - continued

Luotonen Veli-Matti

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
>Not if running on NW 5

Well I have Novell Netware 5 server with groupwise 5.5. Is it so, that there
is no agent which runs with Netware 5...????
ArcserveIT 6.6+GW agent??

This is important. Currently my groupwise system with 300 users run
without backup!!!!

>>> Robert Denbeigh <denb...@ANCO.DEMON.CO.UK> 05/04/99 05:57AM

We use the GroupWise Backup Agent for ARCserve from CAI. Seems
simple
enough.

>>> Luotonen Veli-Matti <veli-matt...@NEXOR.FI> 04/05/1999
10:43:06 >>>
Does anyone have good recommendtion how Groupwise should be backed
up?

Veli-Matti Luotonen
Nexor System Service Oy
Ohrahuhdantie 2 B
00680 Helsinki

GSM +358-40-7389518
mailto:veli-matt...@nexor.fi
<mailto:veli-matt...@nexor.fi>
http://www.nexor.fi <http://www.nexor.fi>

Jeff Tinch

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
You could always shutdown the GroupWise NLM's on your server, kick
ever body out of GroupWise, then run your backup,

I know its crude, but it will work. Their should not be any open files.

dh

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
1) Both BACKUP EXEC and ARCSERVE are working on agents for netware 5 for
open files, but I don't think either has a production solution yet.

2) Certainly, the suggestion to just unload the NLMs and do a backup is a
good one if you are not doing backups now.

3) Check out DBCOPY on the NOVELL web site. (www.nwconnection.com July or
August 1998 has some details). We use this as a weekly precaution, but have
not tested restores from it yet, as Arcserve has always worked.

4) Make some backups using ARCSEVE and scrub your log files to see if there
really is a problem with IMPORTANT OPEN FILES. We have used ARCSERVE 6.1 on
NW 4.11 and GW 5.2.3 for about a year with several hundred users and have
not had a problem with important files being open. Note: our site is
closed from 11pm till 6 am, but GW is running. We have successfully
restored GW using this method from a major RAID crash with no GW problems.

5) You can experiment with combinations of Arcserve scripts, CRON and
STUFFKEY to do some of this, but I have not tried yet. Others have more
experience with the CRON and STUFFKEY stuff.

HTH a bit.

Dana H

On Thu, 6 May 1999 14:05:48 -0400 wrote...

Eric Bloom

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
You need to be sure that your users are not leaving Notify or GW open while you back up (e.g. if Notify is running and someone goes home, even unloading the NLM's will not unlock certain files).

Regards,

Eric A. Bloom
er...@sentgroup.com