Self assessment and core IT competencies

Trish Edmonds

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
Dear NETTRAINers

At our university we are currently developing a program designed at
assisting all Library staff to acquire a set of core IT competencies.
Such competencies cover Internet & browsers, email, basic PC and
Windows, Intro to Word Processing, network awareness and information
retrieval.

We are interested in developing an instrument which will help
staff to determine whether or not they have acquired the core
IT competencies. If they are lacking, they will be directed
to appropriate in-house training and resorces. Our current thinking
is that this instrument would be a self-assessment measure eg
checklist or questionnaire.

Has anyone had any experience of using a self-assessment instrument or
know of any resources available on this topic? . Has anyone else
developed a set of core IT competencies for their workplace?
(We are trying to be as generic as possible in developing our
competencies list.)

Would also be interested in any opinions or comments from the
list.

Many thanks

Trish Edmonds
Program Development Officer
Information Technology Training Unit
Macquarie University Library
Macquarie University NSW 2109
Australia

http://www.lib.mq.edu.au/libit
Ph: 61-2-9850 6512

Leila Mandel

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
The Reference and Adult Services Division of the American Library
Association published a few years ago an Occasional Paper (#17)
titled "Electronic Resources Skills: An Assessment and Development Log
for Reference Staff" that might serve you as a template.
Mind you, it is quite old and only covers information retrieval -
CD-ROMS, online databases, etc and the reference interview.
It is formatted as a series of checklists. The booklet is 16 pages
long.
Again, it will definitely not answer all your needs, but it can
provide some direction.

Leila Mandel
Reference Librarian
Community College of Allegheny County - PA

Else Paeglis

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
Hi Trish and nettrainers,
I write an Internet updating newsletter on a monthly basis, and had actually
included a site this month that does just that - assesses technology and
Internet competencies. I have pasted my entry below (PS I have no connection
with this organisation)

Regards,
Else
TECHNOLOGY AND INTERNET ASSESSMENT: TIA
http://www.hhpublishing.com/TIA/sample.htm

"The Technology and Internet Assessment (TIA) is designed to determine
strengths and weaknesses related to a basic understanding of computer,
Internet, and information technology skills". The results can be used to
provide baseline information for academic instructors and counsellors,
workplace trainers, and social service professionals. The site provides a
sample assessment and sample results for evaluation. The purchase cost is
$US3.00 per TIA, and $US2.50 each if over 100 are ordered.

Else Paeglis,
Manager, Internet Training Institute,
Member of the Infosentials Group.
405 Riversdale Rd, Camberwell, Vic, 3124, Australia.
T: +61 3 9882 8333 F: +61 3 9882 8017
mailto:el...@infosentials.com http://www.iti.com.au/
http://www.infosentials.com/