question for the list (fwd)

Georgiana VanSyckle

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
I have had a rather hot debate over whether the web is linear or nonlinear
in its organization.

I'd love to hear what you all think!
;)

TIA
Georgiana Van Syckle
webmaster
State Library of Ohio
gvan...@winslo.state.oh.us

Gill, Kathy

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
hi, georgiana:

i believe the medium is non-linear because we (designers/content creators)
do not have control over how the end user accesses our information (think
movies, radio - very linear ... books are usually constructed in linear
fashion, with exceptions of reference books ... videos, of course, are
created in linear format but the wonderful thing about them, imo, is we can
'back them up' when we didn't understand something someone said <g> ....
still, this is 'interactive linearity' - how's that for a new descriptor).

people have been known to build web sitest this way [ie, linear] - with only
2 links/page (forward-back) but in my experience, they don't work.

you can structure web sites so that they are more linear or less linear -- a
lot depends on your audience.

there is a little snippet of this in my slides for writing for the web,
http://www.cyberwriter.com/BCC/ppt_html/

advance apologies for the large GIFs - this is a big presentation and I did
the "PPT to HTML" conversion, which does not optimize graphics.

Kathy

Loretta Suazo

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
In all the training we provide we teach the web as being non-linear. We teach
our class participants that on the the web there is no top, no bottom.
Non-linear meaning you do not have to follow a hiearchical path to informational
resources. You can jump from on line (resource) to another; you can go
directly to a resource if you know the Uniform Resource Locator (URL) or
address; or you can jump to specific parts of a document.

Hope this helps.