[MLA-L] Request for biographical information

Woznicki, Lisa

Oct 19, 2004, 4:02:21 PM10/19/04

I am hoping that someone can help me find some biographical data on the
composer of an American art song. We are looking for a few sentences
about the composer Herbert Kingsley. We know that he composed the song
"The Green Dog" which is available in a number of anthologies. I have
his birth and death dates, the names of a few musicals on which he
collaborated, but honestly not much else. One of our students is going
to sing this song next week in Masterclass here at TU and needs a few
sentences about Kingsley to make an introduction to her performance. I
have checked our music and humanities related databases and every book
on American art songs that we own. I have also called other libraries
who own the anthology titled "20th Century Art Songs" hoping that there
might be a blurb in that back of the book, but we had no luck going that
route. The song is also in the anthology titled "The First Book of
Soprano Solos" but no one here in Baltimore has a copy on the shelves or
I would have asked them to check for a biographical blurb on Kingsley.
I have one string of discussion from a listserve for classical
vocalists, but the death dates don't seem to match, so I am not
convinced of the authority of the information posted on their bulletin
board. WorldCat database lists his dates as 1858-1937. The first line
of the art song begins "If my dog were green ..."

Does anyone have any information about Kingsley in any of their
anthologies or biographical sources? He seems to be rather obscure, but
I promised this student that I would leave no stone unturned in trying
to find her a little more information by next week.

Lisa Woznicki
Baltimore

"When one door closes for us, another one always opens, but we often
look so long at the closed door that we don't see the one that has
opened." - Helen Keller

"He who sets limits to himself, will always be expected to remain within
them." - Robert Schumann

Lisa Woznicki
Library Liaison for Art, Music, and Theatre Arts
Towson University
Albert S. Cook Library
Room #319
Phone: (410) 704-2498
Fax: (410) 704-3760
email: lwoz...@towson.edu
web page: http://pages.towson.edu/lwoznick/

To leave MLA-L, send the command SIGNOFF MLA-L to
LIST...@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU or send an e-mail message to
MLA-L-...@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU. To suspend mail temporarily, send the
command SET MLA-L NOMAIL to LIST...@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU. The MLA
homepage is located at http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org/

Rebecca Littman

Oct 19, 2004, 4:09:14 PM10/19/04
Lisa- The Biography and Geneology Master Index lists only one
biography for Kingsley.

Herbert Eugene Kingsley 1858-1937

Encyclopedia of American Biography. New Series. Volume 11. New York:
American Historical Society, . Use the Index to locate biographies.
[EncAB-A 11]

-Rebecca

--
Rebecca J. Littman, Head ][ phone: 414/229-5529

rt3wi...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2015, 9:37:50 PM7/5/15
I was able to find two entries, one Herbert Eugene Kingsley of New York 1858-1937, and Herbert Kingsley, 1882-1961.
On November 4, 1944, an event was advertised in BILLBOARD for a composer-pianist by the name of Herbert Kingsley to perform with Portia Morrow. The date of the event would make the first entry unlikely.
Therefore, the composer of The Green Dog was probably Herbert Kingsley, 1882-1961.

Find it here https://books.google.com/books?id=eBoEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT24&lpg=PT24&dq=herbert+kingsley+composer&source=bl&ots=EvepxYlKwe&sig=f0DMm4CpdvqILJ12C_pfOPkgkRM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dtqZVZL3O4LSsAXy55eADg&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=herbert%20kingsley%20composer&f=false