[MLA-L] Cambridge music journals online

Darwin F. Scott

Mar 8, 2002, 12:51:19 PM3/8/02
Greetings!

You may not be aware that subscribers to print music journals published by
Cambridge University Press also have access to these journals in electronic
form (if available). I won't say "free access," because now built into the
institutional price for a print subscription is the online access fee,
whether you utilize it or not. That is, from what I understand, institutions
cannot get just a "print only" subscription (individuals can, however). So,
be careful of that saying "Free with Print." You're probably getting charged
for that online access via the institutional subscription price to the print
journal. Note, too, that if you cancel the print but keep the online
version, your savings is minimal. Early Music History, for example: print
and electronic, $105; electronic only, $100. (The individual print
subscription is $63).

Here is the subject list provided by CUP:

Music and Drama

British Journal of Music Education Vol 18 (2001)
Cambridge Opera Journal Vols 12, 13 (2000 - 2001)
Early Music History Vol 20 (2001)-
New Theatre Quarterly Vol 15 (1999)-
Organised Sound Vol 5 (2000)-
Plainsong and Medieval Music Vols 9, 10- (2000 - 2001)-
Theatre Research International Vol 26 (2001)-

Missing from this list but available also are:

Popular Music Vols 19, 20 (2000 - 2001)
Theatre Survey Vol 42- (2001-

So, as long as you're paying for this access, you may want to make a clear
path to the electronic form of any of these Cambridge music journals that
you subscribe to (via Web pages, your OPAC, word of mouth, etc). Keep in
mind that these are the full digitized issues of the journal (like what
you'd get for journals via Project Muse) and not the article by article look
that comes via an aggregator (such as ProQuest or EbscoHost).

If your main library has already established the electronic connection with
Cambridge University Press for access to the online journals, the access is
pretty transparent via the Web site at

http://journals.cambridge.org or http://www.journals.cambridge.org

When your long-on is validated, you'll get a message at the upper left of
the window reading: You are logged in as Guest [your institution]. For me,
the message reads: "You are logged in as Guest Brandeis Univ. Lib."

From the window that appears, you can access a list of all the Cambridge
Univ. Press journals online. You can also search directly from this page
across titles. Those marked "institutional" are the ones that your
institution subscribes to and to which you have full-text access. The
alphabetical list is the most reliable. The subject list of music (and
drama) titles is missing Popular Music and Theatre Survey. Also, the date
ranges noted in the lists are for completed vols.; the next vol. in progress
is available as well.

Cheers,

Darwin

Darwin F. Scott
Creative Arts Librarian Leader, Electronic Resources Group
Brandeis University Libraries Music Review Editor, Notes (MLA)
P.O. Box 549110 / MS 045 phone: 781-736-4680
415 South St. fax: 781-736-4675
Waltham, MA 02454-9110 e-mail: dsc...@brandeis.edu

http://www.library.brandeis.edu/staff/creative_arts/dscott.html

To leave MLA-L, send the command SIGNOFF MLA-L to
LIST...@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU or send an e-mail message to
MLA-L-...@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU. To suspend mail temporarily, send the
command SET MLA-L NOMAIL to LIST...@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU. The MLA
homepage is located at http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org/

Tina Murdock

Mar 8, 2002, 1:18:48 PM3/8/02
Thanks for this info. I've just had an interesting experience with the
links below, though. Instead of going to a general homepage, I'm getting a
message telling me I'm logged on as "Guest: Circleville Bible College." Has
anybody else had this happen? Has anyone else tried this?

Tina Murdock, Music Librarian
Dallas Public Library, Fine Arts Division
1515 Young Street
Dallas, TX 75201
214-671-8337

Darwin F. Scott

Mar 8, 2002, 1:26:37 PM3/8/02
Tina,

"Guest" here means that your library has probably already set up the
Cambridge connection or Cambridge has automatically done this based on your
subscription. It's not a good choice of words, obviously, since "Guest"
implies "Just visiting, not official." Not the case here. In fact, it's just
the opposite. I suppose you need to think of "Guest" here as if you're on a
"Guest List"--that is, you've been officially invited to the party and are
not crashing.

Regards,

Darwin

Robert Terrio

Mar 8, 2002, 2:02:28 PM3/8/02
Tina,
If you're accessing through the IP addresses from Dallas Public
Library and getting that message for the Bible College, someone may have
registered IP ranges for this institution in place of your library. I
found Dallas Public Library IP ranges of 4.18.85.* and the Bible College
IP ranges of 209.238.233.*

You could try to contact your vendor and the publisher to sort
this mess out. Maybe your systems people can help you. Don't know if this
helps.

Bob

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Robert Terrio
Networked Resources Administrator
Technical and Automated Services
Rutgers University Libraries

Phone: 732.445.5910
Fax: 732.445.5888

rte...@scils.rutgers.edu

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Paul Cary

Mar 8, 2002, 2:41:08 PM3/8/02
As I recall, only one or two of the music titles actually have full-text
online at the Oxford site. Early Music, for example, only has tables of
contents available.

Paul Cary
Director, Jones Music Library
Baldwin-Wallace College
275 Eastland Rd.
Berea, OH 44017
440-826-8074
mailto:pc...@bw.edu

Lisa Philpott

Mar 8, 2002, 3:12:39 PM3/8/02
On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Paul Cary wrote:

> As I recall, only one or two of the music titles actually have full-text
> online at the Oxford site. Early Music, for example, only has tables of
> contents available.

Hi all,

I've just checked this title on-site...IN VERY TINY green print, below the
EARLY MUSIC HISTORY citations are two items:

[abstract] [PDF]

[Green being perhaps a poor choice for the blue-green colour-blind
folks, but the FONT sure doesn't help, either!]

So, it appears our IP access has been set-up; now I'll ask our cataloguers
to add the "magic" MARC 856 tags to our records, so authenticated users
can "click and go"!!

Amazing how complicated this stuff is!!

Lisa

Lisa Philpott
Reference & Collections
Music Library, TC 234
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario, CANADA N6A 3K7
(519) 661-3913 -or- 661-2111 x84846
(519) 661-3927 (fax)

guimal...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2013, 9:32:58 AM10/1/13
Book/CD release & Guitar Concert at Michaelhouse - 20th of October, 2013

http://guimallonincambridge.blogspot.se/