Sotirios (Sam) Chianis: info. needed

Jean Harden

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

Dear Collective Wisdom,

Those of you in Buffalo, N.Y., may have the answer to this right
at hand.

I am trying to establish the name of the ethnomusicologist
Sotirios (Sam) Chianis. He seems to have been known by several
different forms of this name at various times: Sam Chianis, Sam
Chiannis, Sotirios Chianis, Sotirios (Sam) Chianis, Sam
(Sotirios) Chianis, Sotirios Sam Chianis, and in at least one
case Sotiris Chianis. His scholarly field is Greek music.

According to the vita in his dissertation (where he is called Sam
Chianis), he was born in Santa Barbara in 1926. He evidently
lived and taught in New York - Buffalo, I think - at some time.

Does anybody know for sure (1) what name he prefers (preferred?)
or (2) whether he is still living (if not, a death date would be
helpful).

Thanks for your help!

Jean Harden
Music Cataloger
* Willis Library jha...@library.unt.edu (Internet) *
* PO Box 5188 (817) 565-2860 *
* University of North Texas *
* Denton, TX 76203-0188 *

Margaret Ericson

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

Hello Jean, and MLA.

Sam Chianis taught at SUNy Binghamton (now called Binghamton University) in
the 1970s, and chaired the Music
Department there as well. I am most certain there is only 1 N in his name.

Perhaps the Music Dept. there can give you more official info.

Margaret Ericson
meri...@library.tufts.edu