Old Guy?

David Morris Schwartz

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Patrick Cogan wrote:

> I'll bet I'm the oldest post-bac in the world. Oh all right, the oldest
> post-bac on this forum. I'm almost 41 and have a long way to go before even
> taking the MCAT. Will someone please tell me if there is a med school in
their
> right mind that would accept someone as old I will be when I am ready to
apply?
> Am I spinning my wheels? Do people my age really have a shot at this?
Thanks.

> Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
At the University of Maryland, there are a number of people that have
begun in their late 40's. There is a classmate of ours whose daughter
graduated from college last year (she was 48 when she started)

There are a number of older students at UMAB. I am in my early thirties,
and I am considered "middle aged" (as one of my interviewers said!)

What have you been doing up until now?

-------------------------
David Morris Schwartz
UMAB School of Medicine
dsch...@umabnet.ab.umd.edu

Adria Burns

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

>Thanks for the reply, David. I have an MBA and was recently downsized out of
>my senior financial analyst position with a large corporation. Right now I am
>looking for a job while continuing taking science classes at a local junior
>college. My life is an absolute mess. I am so ashamed. I had to move in with my
>mother. No job. I feel like a piece of garbage. I'm glad I don't have a wife
>and/or kids. I was actually toying with the idea of postponing the job search
>and just taking the science courses full time so I can accelerate this a little
>bit. Financially, I could make it work but since I don't have a job, I sort of
>feel like a loser. Thanks, again. Patrick
Patrick,
It sounds like you're dealing with alot right now, so I hope things
start going your way soon. If you really want to be a doctor, then maybe
this is a blessing in disguise.
I have been down and out myself, so I think I know some of what
you're going through. But look at how you're already striving to achieve
your goals. That's commendable! You aren't sitting home blaming the world
for what can't be changed. You don't have to work in order to be
successful. If you can afford to focus your attention directly on school
and if that's what you want to do, then seize the opportunity and don't look
back! I think you have alot to offer. Good luck!
--
Adria Burns
abu...@konnections.com