Librarians hear patrons, open branches on Sunday

Garrison Hilliard

Aug 6, 2005, 8:23:53 PM8/6/05
Librarians hear patrons, open branches on Sunday
Libraries respond to patrons, will open 1-5 p.m.

By Deborah Kennedy
Enquirer contributor

COLD SPRING - Northern Kentucky University senior Adebisi Adesiyan has been to
the Cold Spring branch of the Campbell County Public Library on a Sunday, only
to find the doors closed and the lights off.

"I used to live in Dallas and the county library was always open on Sundays, so
I wasn't used to this," he said. Now he'll have to get used to those doors being
open.

The library recently announced that all three of its branches will welcome
patrons on Sundays from 1 to 5 p.m., starting this Sunday.

"This is something we've been planning for a year, and we're really excited it's
happening," said Kiki Dreyer Burke, public relations manager for Campbell County
Public Library.

According to Cold Spring branch manager Dave Anderson, patron demand was the
library's main motivation for extending its hours.

"The bulk of who this is going to help will probably be students and parents
whose kids have waited until 6 p.m. Saturday night to say they have a three-page
paper due Monday," he said.

Courtney Hagedorn, 10, of Highland Heights said she has put her mother, Debbie
Hagedorn, in just such a situation.

"I needed this book and I waited until the last minute to tell her and we came
here, but the library was closed and we ended up having to go to the store to
buy it," she said.

The library, whose expenses are primarily paid for by local property taxes, has
hired two additional part-time reference librarians to handle the extra Sunday
shifts.

"Most libraries that are open on Sundays say they see as many people in a
four-hour shift on Sunday as they do during an eight-hour shift on Saturday,"
Anderson said.

Daniel Fox of Fort Thomas said he is looking forward to the added convenience
the Sunday hours will provide.

"I was just washing my car today and I decided to come to the library and catch
up on some magazine and newspaper reading. That can happen on Sunday just as
easily as it can on Monday," he said.

Campbell County Public Library has branches in Cold Spring, Newport and Fort
Thomas.

-----
AFTERNOONS AT THE LIBRARY
Campbell County branches to be open Sundays:

Cold Spring Branch, 3920 Alexandria Pike, Cold Spring, (859) 781-6166

Carrico/Fort Thomas Branch, 1000 Highland Avenue, Fort Thomas, (859) 572-5033

Newport Branch, 901 E. Sixth St., Newport, (859) 572-5035

Other NKY Sunday

library hours:

Two branches each of the Boone and Kenton county public libraries are also open
1 to 5 p.m. Sunday:

Scheben and Florence branches in Boone County

Mary Ann Mongan (Covington) and Erlanger branches in Kenton County.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050806/NEWS0103/508060359/1059/NEWS01