Vending machines for diskettes

Charlotte Hollis

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
--please send replies to the poster (CHAR...@NMAIL.EPCC.EDU)

We have been trying to locate a supplier for vending machines for
diskettes. Our students frequently need to purchase 3 1/2" hd ds
diskettes when the campus bookstore is closed and we would like to be
able to provide a vending machine to fill that need. So far we have been
able to find a provider. Is there any college or library that provides such
a service and how do you handle it? Or do you know of a company that
makes vending machines to handle them? Thanks in advance.

Please reply directly to me: char...@nmail.epcc.edu

Charlotte Hollis
Head Librarian
Rio Grande Campus
El Paso Community College
El Paso Texas 79998
char...@nmail.epcc.edu

Dan Lester

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99

At 09:05 AM 1/22/99 -0700, Charlotte Hollis wrote:
>We have been trying to locate a supplier for vending machines for
>diskettes. Our students frequently need to purchase 3 1/2" hd ds
>diskettes when the campus bookstore is closed and we would like to be
>able to provide a vending machine to fill that need. So far we have been
>able to find a provider. Is there any college or library that provides such
>a service and how do you handle it? Or do you know of a company that
>makes vending machines to handle them? Thanks in advance.

Several years ago we looked into this and found that a number of the
different kinds of candy and snack vending machines could do this.
However, the prices were high for new ones, and the old ones that we could
buy used weren't as good as what we wanted. We finally decided that we
would sell floppies from the circulation desk. They are used to handling
money and making change, and it is no problem to them to sell floppies for
a dollar each. Yes, they don't cost that much, but people don't complain,
as it saves them a trip to the bookstore or elsewhere to buy one. And, the
number we sell is less than anticipated, so we're very happy we didn't buy
a used machine.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
d...@84.com http://www.84.com/ http://www.idaholibraries.org/

Eric Robbins

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99

At 02:20 PM 1/25/99 EST, you wrote:
>At 09:05 AM 1/22/99 -0700, Charlotte Hollis wrote:
>>We have been trying to locate a supplier for vending machines for
>>diskettes. Our students frequently need to purchase 3 1/2" hd ds
>>diskettes when the campus bookstore is closed and we would like to be
>>able to provide a vending machine to fill that need. So far we have been
>>able to find a provider. Is there any college or library that provides such
>>a service and how do you handle it? Or do you know of a company that
>>makes vending machines to handle them? Thanks in advance.

There is a company that sells exactly this sort of product:
Today's Business Solutions
Lemont IL 60439
Ph (630) 2431189
They sell for about $1600.00, and can handle about 100 disks.
We don't use one, so I can't tell you much more on the particulars, but I'm
sure they would love to talk with you.
Eric Robbins
Assistant to the Director
Northbrook Public Library
1201 Cedar Ln.
Northbrook, IL 60062
(847) 272-6224 x139
erob...@nslsilus.org
http://nbpl.nsn.org

Promilla Bansal

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
The diskette vending machine is sold by:
TBS (Today's Business Solutions)
Lemont Il 60439
Phone 630 243 1189
Fax 630 243 1219