summary of responses - charging for printing

Beth Joress

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
Many thanks to everyone who responded to my post about locating networked
laser printers behind a service desk to ensure payment. Since quite a few
people expressed interest in this subject, here's a summary.

Of the 13 responses:
5 have printers behind the circ desk
2 have printers behind the reference desk
3 use an honor system
2 use a debit card or software control
1 has free printing

Suggestions/problems/comments:
Have a cover sheet that identifies the computer, so students
and staff can determine which print-out belongs to which patron.
Need to keep lots of change at the desk.
There may be people waiting in line, especially near closing time.
Many print jobs remain unclaimed/unpaid for.
Honor system doesn't work!
Most libraries didn't hire additional staff to handle the printing/
sorting/payment issues.
Try simple solutions before switching to a debit card system that
requires additional hardware and software.

Obviously, this is an issue many of us are dealing with as our
printing costs continue to rise.

Good luck!

**
Beth Joress