Setting up Office in Japan.

t...@speed.net

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
I will be going to Japan in September to start a new business. I have been
gathering as much information as possible about the steps I need to take in
order to accomplish this. I would appreciate any advice or contact
information regarding the following.

1) Office space location: Are there any agencies that help locate office
space for foreign businesses?

2) Legal services: Any advice on where I can get good legal assistance in
Japan?

3) I plan on bringing a fairly large number of computer hardware and
software over to Japan for business purposes. What are the import
regulations that pertain to this?

Any other information related to setting up office in Japan will be
appreciated.
Also, I would like to hear any experiences by anyone who has started a
business in Japan.

Thanks for your time.

Gene Yokota
t...@speed.net

Dan Cintron

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95
All of the JETRO offices in the US have good publications in this area:

"Establishing a Representative Office in Japan" - Free
"Setting up a Business in Japan: Q&A" - Free

"Setting up an Enterpise in Japan" - $91

Plus many other reference publications on investing.

Also an organization in Japan called the Foreign Investment in Japan
Development Corporation (FIND) might be useful (non-profit, government
related)
2nd Floor, Akasaka Twin Tower
2-17-22 Akasaka
Minato-ku, Tokyo 107
T: 03-3224-1203
F: 03-3224-9871
(No office in the US)

Dan Cintron

vicki beyer

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95
>I will be going to Japan in September to start a new business. I have been
>gathering as much information as possible about the steps I need to take in
>order to accomplish this. I would appreciate any advice or contact
>information regarding the following.
>
>1) Office space location: Are there any agencies that help locate office
>space for foreign businesses?

One real estate broker that specializes in space for foreign businesses is
KK Halifax Associates. Telephone (03) 3436-6381; Fax (03) 3436-4714.

>2) Legal services: Any advice on where I can get good legal assistance in
>Japan?

I think it depends on what type of legal assistance you want. The American
Embassy used to maintain a list of attorneys with "international" practices.
I know a number of attorneys and would be happy to recommend one, if you
want to write to me directly with a more specific description of your needs.

>3) I plan on bringing a fairly large number of computer hardware and
>software over to Japan for business purposes. What are the import
>regulations that pertain to this?

This is probably a good question for your attorney.

>Any other information related to setting up office in Japan will be
>appreciated.
>Also, I would like to hear any experiences by anyone who has started a
>business in Japan.

Have you contacted the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan? They would
probably be a good resource for you.

Bridgestone Toranomon Bldg, 5F
3-25-2 Toranomon
Minato-ku, Tokyo 105

Tel (03) 3433-5381
Fax (03) 3436-1446

Vicki Beyer
Law Program
Temple University Japan

Masayoshi Ueda

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95
In article <v02120d01ac512a507c6c@[166.84.252.114]>, t...@speed.net says:

>I will be going to Japan in September to start a new business. I have been
>gathering as much information as possible about the steps I need to take in
>order to accomplish this. I would appreciate any advice or contact
>information regarding the following.
>
>1) Office space location: Are there any agencies that help locate office
>space for foreign businesses?
>
>2) Legal services: Any advice on where I can get good legal assistance in
>Japan?
>
>3) I plan on bringing a fairly large number of computer hardware and
>software over to Japan for business purposes. What are the import
>regulations that pertain to this?
>
>Any other information related to setting up office in Japan will be
>appreciated.
>Also, I would like to hear any experiences by anyone who has started a
>business in Japan.
>
>Thanks for your time.
>
>Gene Yokota
>t...@speed.net

Gene,

1)Yes, there is an agency in Tokyo who will help you set up an office in
Japan. This agency will provide you office space as well as bilingual
receptionist etc. I have the phone number in my office. I will get
it and give it to you on Monday if not earlier.

2)"ASAHI LAW OFFICES" in Tokyo. Call Mr. Iimura at (03)3505-1333. I
would appreciate it if you mention my name to him.

3)Again, Mr. Iimura should be able to help you on this.

There is a book called "Setting up an office in Japan." This book is
about $50.00(including shipping and handling). I will let you know
where you can get this book as soon as I got it from my office.

Good luck!

Masa a.k.a. Cheez

torrie bova

Aug 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/17/95
Gene:

Please let me suggest that you buy two copies of all of the following, 1 copy
for you and 1 copy for your boss!(g). I have found them very helpful and
recommend them to anyone considering doing business in Japan or with Japan.

best regards
Torrie Bova
Tokyo, Japan
73244...@compuserve.com

AMERICAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE IN JAPAN

Publications List

Contact: Jeanmarie Todd - 3433-5381

* ACCJ Directory

Lists more than 700 American companies and 2,200 individual
members, with address, phone, fax and description of the firm.
Classified includes firms by sector. Price: 5,000 yen/$40
members; 10,000 yen/$80 non-members; air mail $24. Also
available on intelligent floppy disk (MS DOS), with 2 updates;
25,000 yen/$220 members; 50,000 yen/$440 non-members.

* Employment Practices of American Companies in Japan

Learn how U.S companies treat their employees in Japan from a
study by TPF&C based on employment practices of 204 ACCJ member
firms. Analysis and statistics cover employee relations,
Press (Enter) to Continue, (N) to Stop, or (NS) for Non-Stop? ns training,
recruitment, personnel policies and local trends.
Useful planning tool. 1991. 46pp. Price: 3,000 yen/$24 members;
5,000 yen/$40 non-members; air mail $3.

* ACCJ Journal

Monthly business magazine contains timely articles on bilateral
issues and doing business in Japan; written by experts about
those who know what it takes to succeed. Price: 8,000 yen/$64
per year, includes sea mail; air mail $60.

* Living in Japan

A popular, comprehensive book for families anticipating a move to
Japan. Topics include moving and what to bring, legal and
medical matters, schools, business, recreation, working spouses,
the Kansai area and more. 11th edition, 1993. 333pp. Price:
3,000 yen/$24 members; 4,900 yen/$39 non-members; air mail $13.

* Setting Up an Office in Japan

How to set up shop in Japan, with detailed sections on real
estate, contract negotiations, legal services, taxes, baking,
patents, staffing and dozens of business issues based on
information from ACCJ members and other local sources. Osaka,
Nagoya, other cities and industrial sites included. 1993.
200pp. Price: 3,000 yen/$24 members; 4,900 yen/$39 Non-members;
air mail $13.

* Trade and Investment in Japan: The Current Environment

Find out what it takes for foreign firms to succeed in one of the
world's most competitive markets. This study, conducted for the
ACCJ by consulting firm A.T. Kearney, provides statistics and in-
depth analysis plus 31 sector reports. 1991. 140 pp. Price:
2,000 yen/$16 members; 5,000 yen/$40 non-members; air mail $11.

* 1993 U.S.-Japan Trade White Paper

Documents the current business environment for U.S. companies in
Japan, identifies lingering obstacles in 34 sectors and offers
specific recommendations on bilateral trade. Revellent and
timely. 112 pp. Price: 2,000 yen/$16 members; 3,000 yen/$24
non-members; air mail $9.

* Other Publications and Information

Finding a Home in Tokyo, 1991, 18pp., 1,000 yen/$8 members;
1,300 yen/$10 non-members

Market Japan Seminar Videotape (1 hr.), 1991

Audiotaped ACCJ Programs

Mailing labels
Resident and non-resident membership.

Write for our free membership packet containing the pamphlet 108
Reasons to Join Us and other useful information.

Contact: Jeanmarie Todd 3433-5381
The American Chamber of Commerce in Japan
5F, Bridgestone Toranomon Building
3-25-2, Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105

Satoshi Nakui

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
Take a look the following Web site. You can find how you can start
business in Japan.

http://www.jetro.go.jp/japan/DOING/index.html

--
Satoshi "Cha" Nakui