Catalogs to Japan

Hirohiko Futakami

Aug 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/4/95
How can I find which American Catalog companies are willing to send
their catalogs to Japan? Is there any organization where I can obtain
such information?

Best Regards,

Hirohiko Futakami
--
Hirohiko Futakami h...@ix.netcom.com
hf1 Kojin Yunyu Service USA.

Tad Lamb

Aug 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/5/95
>How can I find which American Catalog companies are willing to send
>their catalogs to Japan? Is there any organization where I can obtain
>such information?
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Hirohiko Futakami

Are you located in the U.S. or Japan? If in Japan, I know that several
states have representative offices in Japan which might have this
information. If in the U.S., there is probably and export office for
each state that you can contact, or you can contact the Chambers of
Commerce of the individual cities. If you give me more detailed
information I might be able to suggest some more things.

BTW, Hello to everyone. I just joined this mailing list and am looking
forward to some interesting discussion.

Tad Lamb
Columbus, Ohio
70004...@compuserve.com

Ed Lincoln

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
Mr. Futakami asked several days ago about where he can find information
on which American firms selling by mail order make their catalogues
available in Japan.

Beginning in the fall of 1994, the Foreign Commercial Service of the U.S.
Department of Commerce began a new project, establishing a center in
Osaka at which it displayed American catalogues, sold them for a small
fee (to recoup their costs in running the center), and provided
assistance in ordering. I do not remember the exact count, but I
recollect the number of separate catalogues as being over one hundred. I
am sure they would be eager for more variety if any participants in this
list are interested.

If Mr. Futakami or anyone else wishes further information on this program
or the list of catalogues available, you could contact:

--The U.S. Trade Center (at the World Import Mart in the Sunshine City
building), (03) 3987-2441. Address: World Import Mart, 7th Fl, 3-1-3,
Higashi Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo 170.

--The Foreign Commercial Service at the U.S. Embassy, Tokyo, (03)
3224-5050. Address: U.S. Embassy, 1-10-5 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107

--The U.S. Consulate in Osaka (ask for Richard Kanter in the commercial
office), (06) 315-5900. Address: 2-11-5, Nishitenma, Kita-ku, Osaka 530.

JETRO apparently has a similar program of making foreign (largely
American) catalogues available at special service centers (the JETRO
Import Squares) in 8 cities. Further information on the JETRO program
should be available from Information Services Department, JETRO, 2-2-5,
Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105.

Anyone based in the United States interested in either the Commerce or
JETRO programs might begin inquiring closer to home. The Foreign
Commercial Service recommends that firms contact their closest Department
of Commerce ITA (International Trade Administration) office, or the
closest JETRO office.

Edward Lincoln
Special Economic Advisor
U.S. Embassy, Tokyo