Data truncation in 3.2

Ray, Ian

Feb 10, 2004, 8:42:20 AM2/10/04
Dear list,

I keep getting this in 3.2:

ISPV006

Data truncation occurred
Data for CHAR format variable "TYP1" was too long.

Panel line where error was detected:
ZSEL = PGM(ISRUDA) PARM(ISRUDA2) SCRNAME(DSUTIL)

Enter HELP command for further information regarding this error.
Press ENTER key to terminate the dialog.

Sometimes when I go into Edit, I see a strange value in the TYPE ===> field:
"PAS(ON)", which looks like the point-and-shoot spec for some panel variable
or other.

Just wondering whether it's a local problem, or if anyone else is suffering.
And wondering why 3.2 is upset, but the Edit Entry panel seems to cope with
it.

TIA,
Ian

Ian Ray
Lloyds TSB
Credit Risk Dept
Brighton

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain
privileged information. If you are not the addressee you must not copy,
distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it. If you have
received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.

evolvebank.com is a division of Lloyds TSB Bank plc.
Lloyds TSB Bank plc, 25 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7HN. Registered in
England, number 2065. Telephone No: 020 7626 1500
Lloyds TSB Scotland plc, Henry Duncan House, 120 George Street,
Edinburgh EH2 4LH. Registered in Scotland, number 95237. Telephone
No: 0131 225 4555

Lloyds TSB Bank plc and Lloyds TSB Scotland plc are authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority and represent only the
Scottish Widows and Lloyds TSB Marketing Group for life assurance,
pensions and investment business.

Signatories to the Banking Codes.

Ken MacKenzie

Feb 10, 2004, 9:37:23 AM2/10/04
Ian,

My guess is that you have used variable TYP1 somewhere in one of your own
dialogs and given it a value longer than 8-characters.

I tried the following and then 3.2 displayed the symptoms you described.

/* REXX */
typ1 = 'HORSEFEATHERS'
Address ISPEXEC "VPUT TYP1"

but when I changed my exec to:

/* REXX */
typ1 = 'PENGUINS'
Address ISPEXEC "VPUT TYP1"

it worked.

Ken

"Ray, Ian" <Ian...@LLOYDSTSB.CO.UK>
To: ISP...@LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Sent by: ISPF discussion list cc:
<ISP...@LISTSERV.ND.EDU> Subject: Data truncation in 3.2

Tuesday February 10, 2004 01:16 PM
Please respond to ISPF discussion
list

Johnson, Sam [RA]

Feb 10, 2004, 3:34:35 PM2/10/04
Ian,

Do you have another application that does VCOPY from a pgm? I've seen this
many times when program fail to reset the return length between successive
VCOPY operations and the returned length is greater than the previous
setting of the length field.

LOL

Sam

Feb 10, 2004, 4:00:25 PM2/10/04
Sam,

are you really Laughing Out Loud at poor Ian?

tsk, tsk... not very nice ;-)

Feb 10, 2004, 4:57:06 PM2/10/04
Joe,

Never! Ian and I are former colleagues who worked together in London between
1978-1982...(LOL) Lots Of Luck, I did forget about other interpretations!
:-)

<snipped>

Sam,

are you really Laughing Out Loud at poor Ian?

tsk, tsk... not very nice ;-)

Ray, Ian

Feb 12, 2004, 6:46:59 AM2/12/04
Hi Sam et al,

I think the culprit is the Connect:Direct ISPF interface (CDIUI).

Cheers,
Ian

Óscar Salgado Sánchez

Feb 16, 2004, 11:30:37 AM2/16/04
Hello listers:

I´m writing a REXX, within it I need to show the user a list of datasets
which match a given pattern and let him/her to select one of them for
further processing. Is it possible to be achieved without developing a
custom panel? It is easy to do with PDSs using LMMDISP with OPTION(GET), but
I can´t find how to do it with plain datasets. Any sugestion will be
appreciated a lot.

Thank you in advance

Óscar Salgado Sánchez

Steve Comstock

Feb 16, 2004, 11:56:44 AM2/16/04
In a message dated 2/16/2004 9:21:09 AM Mountain Standard Time, os...@TID.ES
writes:

Check out LMDINIT, LMDFREE, LMDLIST, and LMDDISP.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.
http://www.trainersfriend.com

Dave Salt

Feb 16, 2004, 12:20:42 PM2/16/04
Hi Oscar,

You can display a list of data sets that match a pattern using LMDDISP.
However, there is no way to control what happens to data sets in the list
once they're displayed (e.g. if the user selects one to edit, you won't know
about it). One way around this is if you display the list on your own panel
that has an instruction at the top such as "Enter XYZ next to any data set
you wish to select". You then create a utility called XYZ and that utility
will be called if the user does as they were instructed. The other option is
to use the LMDLIST service to get a list of all the data sets that match a
pattern and display them on your own panel (e.g. load them into an ISPF
table). That way, you'll have full control over what happens to any of the
data sets when they're selected from the list. HTH,

Dave Salt
Soft-Center Solutions Inc.
http://www.soft-center.com
1-877-SoftCen
Bringing you SimpList(tm) - The easiest, most powerful way to surf a
mainframe!

>From: Óscar Salgado Sánchez <os...@TID.ES>
>To: ISP...@LISTSERV.ND.EDU
>Subject: Dataset Selection with LM Services
>Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:16:27 +0100
>
>Hello listers:
>
>I´m writing a REXX, within it I need to show the user a list of datasets
>which match a given pattern and let him/her to select one of them for
>further processing. Is it possible to be achieved without developing a
>custom panel? It is easy to do with PDSs using LMMDISP with OPTION(GET),
>but
>I can´t find how to do it with plain datasets. Any sugestion will be
>appreciated a lot.
>
>Thank you in advance
>

> Óscar Salgado Sánchez

Óscar Salgado Sánchez

Feb 16, 2004, 1:16:42 PM2/16/04
Hello Dave:

I think I will follow the second way, ISPF tables will be my solution. It
seems to give me more control over the users answers, and additionally I
wouldn't need to maintain two programs, the one that I´m writing and the
auxiliary XYZ.

Thanks to you and all the other guys who have answered.

Regards from Madrid

Óscar Salgado Sánchez

Jun 4, 2022, 10:57:59 AM6/4/22
A recent Connect Direct configuration and seeing the same ISPV006 error mentioned in this thread - anyone have any ideas?

Data for CHAR format variable "TYP1" was too long.
Panel line where error was detected:
ZSEL = PGM(ISRUDA) PARM(ISRUDA1) SCRNAME(LIBUTIL)

- --
Rod, UK