India-D Digest - Mar 23

Uma Ramamurthy

Mar 23, 1994, 6:17:49 PM3/23/94
India Interest Group Digest Wed, 23 Mar 94 Volume 2: Issue 498

Today's Topics:

Culture::
Reg. Rachana Grover's posting

Humor::
Humor in India Digest -- a revised appeal
On the lighter side

Immigration::
B-2 to F-1 visa
F-2 visa
Fees for adding child's name into the passport

Income Tax::
Tax-exemption for J-1 exchange visitors
Tax clarification

Info. Wanted::
Info. on Cheap Tickets to India
Info on women's rights in India
Information regarding "Info Access"

Miscellaneous::
Without car and computer - I am dead! Part 1/2

Politics::
Baba Lal Das
Muslim bashing (1/2)
Reg. Being and Indian feels Great !?!
Reg. Vandematarama Controversy, Part 1/2
Reg. Vande Mataram and Jana Gana Mana
Romance of fanaticism (Part 1/2)
U.S. Wants to freeze Kashmir Prob.!!!
Why so much distance between words and action.....???

Spiritual/Religion::
Some noble gems

Sports::
One-day match on TV

To unsubscribe:
Follow the above procedure, but the first line of the mail msg should be:
SIGNOFF INDIA-D (GLOBAL
SIGNOFF INDIA-L (GLOBAL

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Discussion Digest contributions : edi...@andy.bgsu.edu
News Digest contributions : india...@andy.bgsu.edu
Looking for requests : loo...@andy.bgsu.edu
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

India-D is an OPEN and FREE forum for discussion of issues related to
India and the Indian community. Dr K V Rao is the co-ordinator of the
Network. Editors: for the Discussion & News Digests, Ms U Ramamurthy;
for the News Headlines, Mr M G Balakrishna Rao.

(1) No personal attacks and insults will be allowed on the Digest.
(2) Please include your full name in the header or as a signature.
(3) Postings should be kept to a max. of 40 lines. Articles longer than
this limit will be sent back to be condensed. Longer articles may be
submitted in no more than 2 parts.
(4) No more than one posting per person will be accepted in a 24-hr period.

Editors/Owner of India-D are not responsible for any copyright violations
by members who send copyrighted-material to India-D. No article(s) or
portion(s) of article(s) from India-D may be reproduced without the written
consent of the original author(s).

Culture
=======

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 11:59:21 -0600 (CST)
From: TG7...@tntech.edu
Subject: Reg. Rachana Grover's posting

>>Date: Mon, 21 Mar 1994 15:13:35 -0800 (PST)
>>From: rachana grover <gro...@research.ce.wsu.edu>
>>Subject: Reg. Punjabi "kudi" girl it!

>> For no rhyme or reason people seem biased against Punjabis.

I wonder which people. I have not seen anything as such ! I wish
people would stop making unreasonable and irresponsible statements
on a forum like this which reaches out to thousands.

>> Punjabis are fun-loving, helpful and hard-working people.

We recognise this fact. I also think that these adjectives apply
to every other culture and that there are more similarities
than dissimilarities in the "diverse" cultures in India. It only
depends on what you choose to pick on. ( In case you have not
realised, I am Bong ! Whaddye think about me ? )

Regds,
T. Ghosh

------------------------------

Humor
=====

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 15:49:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Kashi R Bilwakesh <bilw...@ccmail.ae.ge.com>
Subject: Humor in India Digest -- a revised appeal

My appeal in yesterday's IDD for humor evoked an enormous positive
response, addressed directly to me. I want to thank all of you who agreed
with me and those who offered to send me a few jokes privately since they were
not printable.

Some of you are obviously upset and have taken revenge by including me in
your Chain letter list. I have been suddenly inundated with chain letter
garbage piling up in my mailbox. I have only one thing to say to you-- may God
bless you with sixteen children each. ( Those of you who know Tamil can
identify with this blessing). Please drop me from your garbage list. Being in
your garbage list is a privilege I could comfortably forgo.

Now, let us have some real humor, please-- no vendettas.

For starters ( and something very very useful to Indian newcomers to USA),
we can pass on some tips on behavior/language faux pas based on our own funny
experiences. I am sure many of you, in the first few weeks of your stay in
this country , wondered why the secretary in your office had the most horrified
look on her face when you went to her and asked her for a rubber after you made
an error while writing with a #2 pencil. It took a bit of explaining, didn't
it ?
How many of us have totally absurd, but rigid and funny superstitions ?
How about passing on some of those to the rest of us so we can all make our
lives more miserable. Then, some of our Kaurava-Pandava experts can take off
from that and put a mythological basis to these supersitions ( what is so
'super' about these absurd SUPERstitions that make our lives miserable ? ). I
can't leave the house in the morning when somebody sneezes just as I am walking
out the door. With three members of the family who are allergic to everything
in this world (besides to me), that is a tough escape in the morning. But the
other day I timed it perfectly between the sneezes and was walking out the
door, when our dog Missy sneezed and all I could do was yell at her in a
Shakespearean "yet tu Missy" and sat down totally dejected.

Anybody out there-- can you give a Kaurava/Pandava basis for getting rid of
these miserable substitions ? I will even settle for a Bankim Chandra basis.
A lot of us Injuns will benefit from that.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 13:45:37 -0500 (EST)
From: Ina Hathi <ixh...@hertz.njit.edu>
Subject: On the lighter side

Hello Folks!

Recently, I've come across a collection of "desi jokes" that are worth
reading. Since some people may get offended, I am not posting them on
the net but if you would like a copy, please do let me know (at
ixh...@hertz.njit.edu), and I'll mail them out to you. Smile.
-Ina

------------------------------

Immigration
===========

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 13:35:03 -0400 (AST)
From: SRIVASTAVA ASIT KUMAR <ASRI...@squid.stmarys.CA>
Subject: B-2 to F-1 visa

Hi,
* I came to Canada in Sep, 1993 and am currently studying here.
* I was refused F-1 visa once in India before I came to Canada.
* I got B-2 [tourist] visa last year from Canada and I went to the US
for a month in December, 1993.
* I have got admission in the US and am planning to join the US
university this fall.

I am considering two options for getting the F-1 visa.
1) Take admission and then apply for a change of visa status.
2) Apply for the F-1 visa again, most probably from Mexico.

I will be grateful if somebody with relevant info or experience
shares it with me.
Thanks,
Asit.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 12:28:19 -0600 (CST)
From: Tapan K Padhi <pa...@plains.NoDak.edu>
Subject: F-2 visa

Dear friends,
Recently I had posted some questions regarding F-2 VISA.
I am extremelely thankful to Prasad and Nelson for their valuable
suggestions. I had received some mails from others who wanted the same
information. I think the following information will help. In addition
to the I-20 for your wife with kids name in it,
1: Take original marriage certificate with some attested copies.
2: Wedding album instead of some photographs
3: Original birth certificates of the kids .
4: Some photographs( 2"*2" size) of the kids
5: Kids presence is optional but not compulsory
6: Letter from the advisor/chairman regarding assistantship
and duration of studies (more is better)
7: Letter from International Office of the school
8: Bank Statement showing personal account balance
9: Xerox copy of each page of your passport
10: Copy of your I-20, I-94
NB: All copies are to be notarised.
Try to show some obligation backhome like: job, family business, only son,
enough immovable property... which will force you to go back after your
studies.
Once again thanks to the netters and goodluck to those who are in same
state as mine.

Regards
Tapan K. Padhi

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 13:11:36 -0600 (CST)
From: Ravi Vedantam <ra...@PANAM1.PANAM.EDU>
Subject: Fees for adding child's name into the passport

Can someone update on the fees charged by the Indian Embassy in
San Francisco to add a child's name into the passport. I have a form
which says $8 for the service, but i want to make sure the info is
accurate for current times. My attempts to reach them over the phone
have not been very successful. The lines seem to be busy during normal
business hours.

Regards
Ravi

------------------------------

Income Tax
==========

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 16:56:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dr Ashwani Vij <v...@uidaho.edu>
Subject: Tax-exemption for J-1 exchange visitors

Dear Netters:
I am confused about the tax-exemptions for J-1 visa holders. The treaty
states that the tax-exemption is for 2 years.

I am trying to fing out what happens after 2 years. Do you pay taxes
after this period or do you have to pay for the 2 year period too?

If any of you have gone through similar situation, please enlighten me.

Thanks!
Ashwani.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 15:38:21 -0600 (CST)
From: ME_...@CS1.LAMAR.EDU
Subject: Tax clarification

Dear netters,
Can anybody clarify the following?

1. I am an F1 student filing 1040NR. Recently, I read that Indians have some tr
eaty by which the standard deduction can be increased from $2350 to ($2350 +370
0) in lines 33 and 35. i.e. instead of the itemized deductions, Indians can cl
iam $3700 in line 33 of 1040NR. Is there any other exemption which can be enter
ed in line 23 0f 1040NR (Total Income exempt by a treaty from page 5, Item L).
For people from China, this line 23 is about $5000.

2. In case I opt for the itemized deductions, can I claim tution, living expens
es, health Insurance etc, in form 2106.? If not, under what conditons can I do
so?

Please reply to me_...@lub001.lamar.edu
ashwani

------------------------------

Info. Wanted
============

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 19:56:21 +0000 (GMT)
From: Arshad NIAZ <ax...@po.cwru.edu>
Subject: Info. on Cheap Tickets to India

Hi Netters,

My travel agent just informed me that Romanian Airlines has
a round-trip ticket to India priced at $790. The price
sounds unbelievable, but the agent has confirmed its
accuracy. The travel agents can be reached at 1-800-538-8986.
I have no information on the reputation of Romanian Airlines.
Are they somewhat similar in service to Gulf Air? I know
that over the past few weeks people have complained about Gulf.
I would appreciate it if someone can comment on Romanian
Airlines. Thanks so much.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 13:49:02 -0600 (CST)
From: lisa <LLR246T%SMSVMA...@VM.TEMPLE.EDU>
Subject: Info on women's rights in India

i subscribe to several discussion lists on india and find them very
informative. however, i am looking for information for a research
paper regarding women's rights in india (specifically women's
inequality and also the issue of bride burning). i would
appreciate any info. thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 18:46:52 -0600 (CST)
From: ANIL D'SOUZA <ANIL.D'SO...@CCLINK.NET.uokhsc.edu>
Subject: Information regarding "Info Access"

Hi Netters,
Has anybody heard about a company called "Info Access", it is either supposed
to be a long distance telephone company or some sort of a computer concern.
Any information on this would be highly appreciated.
By the way for all those who are "homeward bound" grapevine has it that both,
Delta and British Airways, have a better deal for round trip fares to India. If
anybody needs any further info. do not hesitate to contact me.
Bye,
Anil D'souza

------------------------------

Miscellaneous
=============

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 16:27:00 -0500 (EST)
From: Amir Tuteja <mi...@access.digex.net>
Subject: Without car and computer - I am dead! Part 1/2

My car conked out in the severe winter we had during February.
But I consoled myself with the thought that I can at least catch up
with my writing. Then my computer conked out too. Without a car and
computer I was utterly depressed and felt like I was dead!
I contrasted my present situation with my life in India years
ago when I used to pray for just a bicycle - and dear God make it
"Raleigh" please. Oh my, how much have I changed! How much we have
all changed! Indeed how our lives have become dependant on so many
gadgets with the "progress" of the past few decades.
I now live in the upscale neighborhood, Georgetown, of
Washington, D.C. with many electronic gadgets. My car which conked
out was a rather expensive "yuppie" Swedish import "SAAB". [M.J
Akbar, the Indian journalist and my house-guest a few years ago
quipped, "you bought a SAAB because you wanted to become a
Sahib!"]. I turn on my computer at home first thing in the morning
to check my E-mail and then try to write a little before leaving
for office. The first thing I do in office is to again check for
any E-mail, which I do constantly throughout the day. I have a fax
and copying machine both at home and office which I use frequently.
The explosion of the mechanical gadgets has been phenomenal
especially in the past few years. Now a fax machine, personal
computer, xerox machine, walkaman, compact disk (CD), telephone
answering machine, cellular phone, and all these other innovations
have become part of our lives.
When the telephone first appeared, callers had to determine
under what circumstances it was appropriate to remotely intrude
into another person's life. By offering remote access and
anonymity, new communications technologies blur the distinction
between etiquette and ethics. The electronic signals from cordless
and cellular phones can be intercepted. E-mail and voice-mail
messages are stored in digital archives that can never be 100
percent secure, and many people seem unaware that centrally
archived backup records of E-mail messages may remain intact long
after the user "deletes" them.
New technologies also present greater opportunities for
deception. Miniature voice-activated tape recorders, tiny radio
transmitters, and video cameras can be hidden inside everyday
objects such as briefcases. One phone on the market uses digital
signal processing to offer 16 different voices, permitting shifts
from female to male or adult to child!

------------------------------

Politics
========

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 19:09:23 -0800
From: aj...@cgl.ucsf.EDU
Subject: Baba Lal Das

Hi,
Perhaps i am a latecomer to this. Just read about the great
man Baba Lal Das' MURDER by those murderers from Bajrang Dal/BJP. The
news was first broken by Manushi (of all the investigative journalists
in our media!, this is of course no criticsm of Manushi which is a
great magazine). Anyone who saw the documentary "Ram Ke Naam" would
know the greatness of the soul who was murdered. This is the beginning
of the end of the so called "great Indian civilization" these fanatics
(who unfortunately are on this network too) and murderers tout. Of
course, the great Narashima Rao (that learned man who knows so many
good ancient Indian books by heart!) is equally guilty of this murder.
GOD! this is the beginning of the arrival of Kalki at least in India.

---ajay

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 11:31:00 +0100
From: Akshay...@CTRL.bbl-test.rtt.be (Akshay Bakhai)
Subject: Muslim bashing (1/2)

Some netters are concerned about the "Muslim bashing". Some have even
gone further to suggest the Editor should stop such kind of postings.

These are extreme feelings. If somebody feels that what has been posted
is untrue and not factual then s/he can post the truth. In such cases
the Editor may use his/her "discretion" in permitting the posting. But
it is unfair to ban the truth/facts. Tomorrow you may also demand that
if a criminal is persecuted then those news should be blanked out if the
criminal follows the faith of Islam.

Part of the fault lies with the Indian print media, especially the
English one. They have used their "discretion" to ban such articles in
respect to "secularism" and to avoid communal clashes. As a cause of
this, most of us bred on such media have a wrong sense of feeling of
secularism and brotherhood, and peace and love. But the hatred
perpetuated by the "CANON" laws in the minds of their followers belies
all sense of peace and brotherhood.

To put the issue in the right perspective, neither me nor the other
speakers on the Muslims issue are criticising the Muslims for offering
namaazs 5 times a day, or mantaining Ramzan, or growing beards, or any
other such things. What we are trying to bring forth is the unpleasant
side of Islam, and hoping that whichever Muslim brother reads it at
least does some introspection and changes for the better.

Every religion has its unpleasant sides, and the people who could change
this unpleasant side are the educated masses. So the issue is brought up
in forums where there are expected to be people who are suppossed to hav
the ability to comprehend the problem and think of a way of amending it.

Hinduism also has its evils, e.g. dowry and bride burning. And we have
had discussions on these issues. And noone SHOULD object to it saying
that it is "Hindu male bashing", and noone did. Similarly if we discuss
the evils of Islam, noone SHOULD object to it saying that it is Muslim
bashing. And noone should sweep the problem under the carpet by saying
that every religion has its problems and we shouldnt bother about it. In
fact the problems that every religion has affcts only its followers, but
interestingly some of the problems of Islam affects ONLY the nonfollowrs
of Islam. Hence all the more reason for us to discuss such things and
understand the reasons for this from our Muslim friends on the net.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 11:31:39 -0600 (CST)
From: PRAKASH VYAKARANAM <PX...@jazz.ucc.uno.edu>
Subject: Reg. Being and Indian feels Great !?!

Hi!
Someone on the net writes:
>How do you like being an Indian
Well, I felt alright when I was in India. But now, I know what it feels like
to be an Indian.

>we inherited an unbeleivable historical heritage.
True. I agree. But of what significance is it now? Did we learn anything from
our 'historical heritage'? Hatred, religious intolerance, dirty politics.

>Vedas are considered to be the earliest manuscripts, we
> may well be the most ancient civilization
How far are the Vedas interpreted correctly in our 'oldest religion' ? Yes,
ours might be the most ancient civilization. Do you want to move ahead??

>When most parts of the world were steeped in ignorance Indian subcontinent had
> many flourishing unversities.
We need to think about this now! Why the heck are you here? So, now you
believe that we are steeped in ignorance!

>Huen Tsang,among many,visited India
Now, human rights groups are dying to visit India!

>India shrugged off her colonial shakles and pushed ahead with radical
>industrial development under the guidance of Pandit Nehru.
Yeah right! This Pandit Nehru, Indira and to a lesser extent, Rajiv are the
reasons we are here instead of in our 'glorious' homeland.

>Now India is third largest scientific pool. India is third
>largest among railways. India joined the elited club of nations that
>can launch missiles.
Whenever I think of India, I see poverty, ignorance, dirty politics, religious
hatred, currupt officials - just to name a few things.

>With so much great history behind us and so much bright
>future in front of us, now I can give my answer. Being an Indian
>feels just great!
To all of you who believe in this - "May be it is time for you to

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 10:55 -0500 (EST)
From: Dinesh Agarwal <DX...@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
Subject: Reg. Vandematarama Controversy, Part 1/2

I found that several netters are displaying their utter ignorance and outright
disrespect to the one of the greatest symbol of the war of India's independence
and currently, the National Song with the equal status as of the National
Antham 'Jana Gana Mana..'. Here below very briefly, I would dispel some of the
misunderstandings and ignorance of these netters about this nationalist song
by providing some historical facts. Most of the material below has been taken
from 'Story of a Song' by Sivaramu:
January 26, 1950 was set for the Indian Republic. The national anthem was
to be chosen before the election of the President. The objection advanced agai-
nst Vandemataram was that unlike Janaganamana it did not suit band music, but
Master Krishna Rao had solved the difficulty. He had given a demonstration
before the members of the Constituent Assembly who had to decide the issue.
It was therefore expected, that unless the technical objection was a mere
facade, the Constituent Assembly would adopt VM as the national anthem.
Mahatma Gandhi wanted VM to be our national anthem. The song was invariably
sung at his prayer meetings. After VM was sung on August 29, 1947, Gandhi ji
said, "Vande Matram should be set to music so that millions can sing it to-
gether, and feel the thrill. They should all sing in the same raga, with the
same bhava. Shantiniketan or some other competent institution should design an
acceptable raga." After this time, the whole of Bengal, under the leadership of
Dr BC Roy, took up the campaign in favour of VM. In view of this background,
the possibility of the members of the Constituent Assembly, inspired by
sentiments of patriotism, adopting Vande Mataram as the national anthem was
indeed strong. But things were happening behind the scene.
Pt. Vishnu Digambar Paluskar,founder of Gandharva Mahavidhyalaya, and a well
known musician,brought into vogue the tradition of singing national songs at
public functions. It was the great desire of the national leaders of the free-
dom movement that he should sing VM at the commencement of every Congress sessi
ion. In 1923 the Congress session was held at Kakinada, Paluskar was invited to
sing VM as usual.Mohmed Ali was the President of the Congress that year.
"When Vishnu Digambar rose to sing Vande Mataram in conformity with tradition,
Md. Ali raised an objection on the ground that music was taboo to his religion.
The leaders assembled were completely bewildered. Vishnu Digambar was incensed,
and hit back: 'This is a national forum, not the plateform of any single
community. This is no mosque to object to music. There is no justification for
a ban on music here. When the President could put up with the music in the
presidential procession, why does he object to it here?' Having silenced the
President, without waiting for his reply, he proceeded to sing Vande Mataram
and completed it...People admired his moral courage and applauded him...
(Vishnu Digambar Paluskar, National Book Trust, p.54)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 09:39:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Pritish Shah <p...@umdsun2.umd.umich.edu>
Subject: Reg. Vande Mataram and Jana Gana Mana

Hello netters,
I have been following what us indians and otherwise are writing and
*bickring* over these days on the IDD. What I cannot believe is how can
such an argument flame us sooooooo much. I mean - there are always stupid
ppl out there who will fight over small things and if these stupid ppl
keep saying all the stuff and if they do not like some of the good things,
we should not even listen to them. A barking dog --will-- soon become
silent if the dog is the --only-- dog that barks. Why don't we heed to
this and stop arguing over "mole hills" and start attacking the "mountain"
which can be "poverty", "political bas**rds", and "corrupt ppl" in india.

Pritish

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 94 16:46:56 GMT+5:00
From: ma...@wipinfo.soft.net (Saikat Ghosh)
Subject: Romance of fanaticism (Part 1/2)

THE ROMANCE OF FANATICISM ... Saikat Ghosh, Bangalore

Our's is a land of people who feel but do not think. Our's is a country
where people absorb but do not always interpret. We fail to realise that all
religions are but the product of human mind and understanding. Every religion
has certain good to offer but it can never claim to be the sole authority on
everything. We fail to understand the relevance of the doctrines of our great
religions. When Guru Govind Singh asked the sikhs to carry the five K's (kangha,
kash, kara, kach and kripan) the sikhs were on the run. Living in forests they
needed all these to sustain and to protect against the mugal tormenters. What
Guru Govind Singh said was 100% correct but it has lost it's relevance in todays
world yet the sikhs fail to perceive this. When prophet Mohammad preached that
all non believers were kafirs and kafirs must either be converted or killed his
was talking sense indeed. The arabs in those days were a nomadic barbaric lot.
One could not just go to them and talk of religion. They had to be conquered
before being converted and hence the prophet's doctrine yet the muslims do not
understand the significance of this. Similar examples exist in the doctrines of
buddhism and jainism yet their followers follow them blindly. Hinduism the
religion of the majority is nowhere behind as far as religious myopia is
concerned. Full of useless rites and rituals, caste system et al; it it perhaps
the only religion which can be called everything from liberal to confusing. One
must understand that it is because of the degradation of hinduism that the
people of this country willingly or otherwise adopted other religions in the
first place.
(To be continued)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 11:39:29 -0600 (CST)
From: "MANISH DOSHI ( BHAGWAN )" <SOC...@Jetson.UH.EDU>
Subject: U.S. Wants to freeze Kashmir Prob.!!!

Hi Everyone,

I don't know why U.S. is bothered so much about Kashmir when it is none of
their business!!. Why do they have to freeze the Kashmir prob. for a short
term when no body in India cares for their statements? Ms Raphel wants some
change so she is visiting India. That's good. Our tradition is "Atithi Devo
Bhava." (Guest is God).

India should be really careful as this might be the way to start third party
mediation!!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 1994 02:39:42 -0600 (CST)
From: JR...@ttacs1.ttu.edu
Subject: Why so much distance between words and action.....???

Dear Friends,
When I read in Ms/Mr. Usman Khan's posting that it is written in Koran - "If
you love me (Allah), then love your fellow creatures", my heart rejoiced! And I
thought, really the Koran says this? Then maybe there is hope. But remembering
the hard reality, my joy was short lived.

If that is indeed what the Koran says, then how can it say side by side, that
Jehad (Holy war, what on earth is holy about a war in which innocent women,
children and men are killed?) is admissible?? Conversion to the Islam religion
by force is alright?

How can it say that it is alright for a man to beat his wife (atleast I think
that's what my Muslim friend told me, or did she say just any woman...? I don't
clearly remember), for the following five reasons -

1. If she doesn't answer to all his beck and calls.

2. If she refuses to have intercourse, whenever he wants to have it.

....There are three more equally degrading reasons which are considered valid.
I don't remember them now, but I do remember that I was quite shocked, and
blurted it all out to my American roommate on my return to my residence, who
found it equally disgusting too. We had a long discussion, and after that my
mind must have been trying to forget this terrible piece of information.

Halal, I knew about; polygamy I knew, the sexist and unfair concept of Talak,
I knew. But, knowing this, made me realise fully - how women are treated by
Muslims. Not even as B rated citizens, but maybe like C- ......?

Considering the above, I don't think any Islamic country should even utter the
word - "Human rights".

This explains all the violations of Hindu women by the Muslim invaders. And
also, maybe why there is so much protest against singing the song - Bande
Mataram! Revering Mother, a woman figure....? No way. BTW, maybe, if the song
was Father, fatherland, there wouldn't have been so much problem ....?!

Regards,
Jana

------------------------------

Spiritual/Religion
==================

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 18:57:16 -0500 (EST)
From: R...@FCRFV1.NCIFCRF.GOV
Subject: Some noble gems

The great German poet, Goethe, was once asked by a friend what
he would suggest as a daily exercise for spiritual betterment. He said:
"I would like to read a noble poem.
I would like to see a beautiful picture.
I would like to hear a bit of inspiring music.
I would like to meet a great soul.
And for my fellow men I would like to say a few sensible words."
There are one thousand beautiful things which touch our senses
daily. However, we become prisoners to our own whims and fancies, some
even destructive. Bearing in mind the maxim, "Let noble thoughts come
to me from all sides", I intend to present some beautiful and noble gems
now and then on the India Digest.

To-day's beautiful gem: This is my prayer by Rabindranath Tagore
This is my prayer to thee, my lord-- strike,
Strike at the root of penury in my heart.
Give me the strength lightly to bear my joys and sorrows.
Give me the strength to make my love fruitful in service.
Give me the strength never to disown the poor or
bend my knees before insolent might.
Give me the strength to raise my mind high above daily trifles.
And give me the strength to surrender my strength
to thy will with love.

Om Santih! Peace!

J. K. Mohana Rao

------------------------------

Sports
======

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 09:42:02 -0800 (PST)
From: as...@pico.sps.mot.com (Ashok Patel)
Subject: One-day match on TV

Cricket fans,

There will be a live pay-per-view broadcast by TCI cablevision (bay area)
for the one day international match between India and Newziland. It will
be on Saturday, April 2nd '94. I don't have the timing but since it is on
Saturday it may not matter. Call your local cable company, if other than
TCI to find out if it is available to you.

Cheers,
Ashok

End of India Interest Group Digest