PLEASE! Contribute to India Network Foundation

1 view

Uma Ramamurthy

Mar 23, 1994, 6:15:08 PM3/23/94
Dear Members,

We thank those of you who have sent in their contribution to the
India Network Foundation. This is a reminder to those who have not yet
considered contributing to this effort and a request to new members of
this Network.

We have collected $14K, so far. From over 15,000 members of India-D/L
networks, we have received contributions from about 800 members.

After receiving the call for contributions last week, the Editor
received msgs from a few members, who explained why they were not contributing.
One of them explained that had the Foundation been involved in "public service",
the member would have contributed to this effort. Others expressed the view
that unless this is made a mandatory contribution, they would not consider
paying for this effort.

The main reason for starting this Foundation is to aid in maintaining
and running the India-D/L networks. So, the question of "public service"
doesn't arise at all. We have all gained a lot by being part of this network.
Maintaining and keeping this service available to you on a daily basis
involves a lot of work. It is not simple and not a joke. Volunteers are not
easy to come by. Last Sept, when the Editor called for volunteers, the
response was disappointing... and on Dr Rao's suggestion, the Editor has
continued to maintain and provide the service to the members. With the
Graduate Assistantship, we would be helping a student to get his/her education
while he/she will be providing service to this network by taking care of the
daily chores involved with this network.

Even after repeated explanations by the Editor and Dr K V Rao, we
have not been able to make all of you realize the need for the funds. With
the funds collected so far, we would be able to provide a partial Graduate
Assistantship for a year starting this Fall to a Master's level Graduate
student at Bowling Green State Univ. And we would be able to obtain the
Sparcstation which is required to process India-D/L mail and distribute
the Digests to the List members. WE ARE REQUESTING THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVEN'T
CONTRIBUTED YET, TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS EFFORT, AT THE EARLIEST.

We did not ask for mandatory contributions as we had to consider
students, some of whom may not be able to afford it. But as we look at the
list of members who have contributed, we see more students there than members
who are employed. So, we have decided to close down the India-D/L subscription
and from now on, only members who pay the minimum contribution will be given
the membership to these networks.

Here is the last call for contributions::

Please consider the need for the funds, and also consider the fact
that you would be helping many students get their education by the Foundation's
Graduate Assistantship in the years ahead. We request you to send in your
contribution for the India Network Foundation and help us continue the
India-D/L service to the community. Minimum suggested contribution is $10.00

Contributions can be made by Check, Credit Card, International
Money Order, etc. This gift would also qualify as tax-deductible contribution!
If you wish to remain an anonymous contributor, please let us know.

ATTENTION: TO THOSE WORKING IN CORPORATIONS/ORGANIZATIONS
Our foundation office indicated that BGSU is eligible to receive matching
gifts from a number of Corporations. Please call 419-372 2551 to check
whether your Corporation is in our list and details on how one can go
about requesting matching Gifts. Sometimes, the matching gift is four
times your contribution! So Please take that extra minute to get the details.

CONTRIBUTION BY CHECK:
Make check payable to : INDIA NETWORK FOUNDATION, BGSU

Mail the check to:
Dr. K. V. Rao, Department of Sociology, Bowling Green State
University, Bowling Green, OH 43403 USA

CREDIT CARD CONTRIBUTORS:
Please call our foundation office at 419-372 2551 with your information
and mention INDIA NETWORK FOUNDATION. After that send an e-mail to
kv...@andy.bgsu.edu with the amount of contribution and your name and
address.

INTERNATIONAL MEMBERS:
Please send checks in your local currency and mail them to the above
address. If you don't have check facility, you may use the credit card
or international money order.

Again, we request you to send your contribution to the India
Network Foundation and help us to continue providing this service to
the community. You would also be helping many students get their education
with the Foundation's Graduate Assistantship in the future years.

Regards,
Uma Ramamurthy
Editor, India-D/L Networks