OT: How to open a new list at UA.EDU?

Peter Hunkeler

May 27, 2013, 2:04:36 PM5/27/13
Does anyone know how to create a new list here at UA.EDU's listserver?

I'm searching a place to host an AFP (Advanced Function Presentation) related list.
There was one on Topia but it seems to be dead.

--
Peter Hunkeler

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Elardus Engelbrecht

May 28, 2013, 6:32:57 AM5/28/13

There was a link on my (outdated) bookmarks, I have looked at ua.edu, but that link is dead. I'll have to search that university web-pages...

>I'm searching a place to host an AFP (Advanced Function Presentation) related list. There was one on Topia but it seems to be dead.

Look and smell at http://www.lsoft.com/catalist.html

This link is one of the starting points about LSoft and maintenance of discussion lists. This is what I used to help out Wilie Bunter and Esmie Moo earlier.

No, I don't know what specifically you need to do at UA.EDU, perhaps others can chime in.

There is also Google Groups, but ... I will stay from it if I can... ;-)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

Mark Regan

May 28, 2013, 6:40:58 AM5/28/13
And there is also Yahoo Groups. IBM participates in the NetView and System Automation groups that are hosted on Yahoo Groups.

Thanks,

Mark Regan

Shane Ginnane

May 28, 2013, 7:35:42 AM5/28/13
On Tue, 28 May 2013 05:32:49 -0500, Elardus Engelbrecht wrote:

>There is also Google Groups, but ... I will stay from it if I can... ;-)

I will second that.
Just recently I have been getting some reasonably sophisticated spam seemingly using my address scraped from the z1090 yahoo group. Looking at the source I see a thread from z1090 with several well known contributors addresses linked in open text.
Bloody appalling management.

But this has been thrashed here before ...

Shane ...

Roger Bolan

May 28, 2013, 7:57:39 PM5/28/13
Peter,
I assume you meant the afp-l discussion list at
http://lists.topica.com/lists/afp-l/ ?
I am still able to login so it doesn't seem really "dead". On the other
hand, I don't see any new posts since October of 2012. Maybe it just
needs some prodding?
--Roger

Ed Finnell

May 28, 2013, 10:47:56 PM5/28/13
Thanks for posting. That's the real AFP list. Glad you guys subscribe to
both.
For some reason some version of Tropica started having serious problems. I
unsubscribed and never went back.

In a message dated 5/28/2013 6:57:52 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
roger...@GMAIL.COM writes:

hand, I don't see any new posts since October of 2012. Maybe it just
needs some prodding?

Hunkeler Peter , TLSG 4

May 29, 2013, 2:17:06 AM5/29/13
Topica never ever worked as smooth as lists like this one work.
Roger, you are right that on can still log-in to Topica, but have you
tried to post a message? It's just being swallowed. And the list owner
doesn't respond.

I'm currently trying to find a listserver based place to host an AFP
list. Will keep this list updated, as some AFP interested people seem to
be subscribed here too (glad to see :-).

Q: Is there any reason the new list should *not* be named "AFP-L"? (The
one on Topica is named AFP-L but after all it is on a different server.)

--
Peter Hunkeler