Can't Use OS/390's APPEND from PC FTP session

1 view

Melanie Kuntz

Mar 13, 2002, 2:32:09 PM3/13/02
I am using the dos-based FTP.exe client in Windows 2000 to open an FTP
session with an OS/390, v2R10. I am just using the dos-based client for
testing - eventually I want to automate a file append from PC to mainframe
using Visual Basic. I would like to use the OS/390 Append command to
append a file from my PC to one that may exist on the mainframe, because VB
doesn't have an append command like the FTP client that comes with
Windows. However when I type 'quote help append' I get back the following
syntax message:

214-APPE file-name: append to the file. If no such file
214 exists, create one.

which is different from the syntax when using an FTP session in TSO. When
I try to use this command, I either get a message 501 Invalid dataset name,
or my connection just gets closed.

Is there any documentation out there for using the subset of OS/390 FTP
commands available from a non-MVS connection source? I've found the IP
Users' Guide of OS/390, but that only talks about the commands available
from an FTP session in TSO. The subset of commands available when I open
an FTP session from my PC (as listed when I type 'quote help') is quite
different than that which is available in TSO.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Melanie Kuntz

send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO