WinSCP or FileZilla to z/OS (not OMVS) ?

Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA

Sep 1, 2017, 2:14:54 PM9/1/17
Any thoughts on how to get WinSCP or FileZilla to access z/OS datasets when connected?

All I am able to get is access to the OMVS side of the system.

thx

Lionel B. Dyck
Mainframe Systems Programmer - TRA

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

John McKown

Sep 1, 2017, 2:32:41 PM9/1/17
On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Dyck, Lionel B. (TRA) <Lione...@va.gov>
wrote:

> Any thoughts on how to get WinSCP or FileZilla to access z/OS datasets
> when connected?

​IBM's ssh/scp cannot access z/OS non-UNIX data sets. Dovetailed
Technologies' can.​

http://dovetail.com/products/sftp.html

--
Caution! The OP is an hyperpolysyllabicsesquipedalianist and this email may
cause stress to those with hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Elardus Engelbrecht

Sep 1, 2017, 3:07:39 PM9/1/17
Dyck, Lionel B. (TRA) wrote:

>Any thoughts on how to get WinSCP or FileZilla to access z/OS datasets when connected?

>All I am able to get is access to the OMVS side of the system.

You can use WinSCP to access z/OS datasets. I will post on Monday a sample batch job (in windoze) how to do that.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

Roger Bolan

Sep 1, 2017, 3:42:13 PM9/1/17
I use Filezilla to connect to my z/OS systems both for MVS datasets and
OMVS. I have the same IP address for both site definitions. As far as I
can tell the only difference is on the Advanced Tab in the Site Manager
where the OMVS site definition has a default remote directory of /u/bolan
defined, and the MVS site definition has a blank default remote directory.
--Roger

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Dyck, Lionel B. (TRA) <Lione...@va.gov>

Allan Staller

Sep 1, 2017, 4:13:57 PM9/1/17
Coz:SFTP

WWW.DOVETAIL .COM

Free to use $$$ for support
::DISCLAIMER::

Paul Gilmartin

Sep 1, 2017, 5:42:49 PM9/1/17
On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 13:42:00 -0600, Roger Bolan wrote:

>I use Filezilla to connect to my z/OS systems both for MVS datasets and
>OMVS. I have the same IP address for both site definitions. As far as I
>can tell the only difference is on the Advanced Tab in the Site Manager
>where the OMVS site definition has a default remote directory of /u/bolan
>defined, and the MVS site definition has a blank default remote directory.

Does FileZilla support both FTP and sftp? Is it possible, then, that your
success was with Classic FTP and the OP's failure was with sftp?

Does configuring the Co:z server for sftp require admin privilege/

>On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Dyck, Lionel B. (TRA) wrote:
>
>> Any thoughts on how to get WinSCP or FileZilla to access z/OS datasets
>> when connected?
>>
>> All I am able to get is access to the OMVS side of the system.

Life would be a lot simpler if people avoided Classic data sets.

-- gil

Jerry Whitteridge

Sep 1, 2017, 5:44:11 PM9/1/17
We use Filezilla and can access both Classic and OMVS equally - I'll need to dig a bit for Lionel to check the version and the configuration.

Jerry Whitteridge
Manager Mainframe Systems & Storage
Albertsons - Safeway Inc.
623 869 5523
Corporate Tieline - 85523

If you feel in control
you just aren't going fast enough.
________________________________
Warning: All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the corporate e-mail system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the recipient. This e-mail may contain proprietary information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately.
________________________________

Rob Schramm

Sep 1, 2017, 5:52:17 PM9/1/17
Winscp is only really good for SFTP and Unix files. Filezilla, bluezone,
I(something or other), cyberduck
--

Rob Schramm

Wayne Bickerdike

Sep 2, 2017, 5:01:06 PM9/2/17
I use Filezilla.

Thought it was just wrap quotes around the dataset name for z/OS otherwise
it goes to a USS file.
--
Wayne V. Bickerdike

Paul Gilmartin

Sep 2, 2017, 8:16:47 PM9/2/17
On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 07:00:47 +1000, Wayne Bickerdike wrote:

>I use Filezilla.
>
>Thought it was just wrap quotes around the dataset name for z/OS otherwise
>it goes to a USS file.

FTP, SFTP, or FTPS? Filezilla gives you your choice.

(Which does the OP need?)

Roger Bolan

Sep 3, 2017, 11:13:01 AM9/3/17
Not for me. The Remote Site says 'BOLAN.' for MVS, and /u/bolan for OMVS.
I have two different site definitions in the Filezilla site manager. I
tried swapping on the Remote Site screen and it gets errors if I try to use
an OMVS HFS directory on the site that uses 'BOLAN.' and vice versa. I am
not using SFTP just FTP and passive mode. I also do not use anonymous
logon but have to give a userid and password for both sides. When I do
this from outside my office there are some additional VPN and firewall
logins I need before I can use Filezilla for anything, but I imagine that
is not Lionel's problem because he said he could get to the OMVS side.

Elardus Engelbrecht

Sep 5, 2017, 4:52:51 AM9/5/17
Elardus Engelbrecht wrote:

>Dyck, Lionel B. (TRA) wrote:
>>Any thoughts on how to get WinSCP or FileZilla to access z/OS datasets when connected?
>>All I am able to get is access to the OMVS side of the system.

>You can use WinSCP to access z/OS datasets. I will post on Monday a sample batch job (in windoze) how to do that.

No FileZilla, since I could not use automated transfers in one or other way.

As promised, here is a generated Windows WinSCP script, I use to access a PS or PO dataset's member:

For retrieving three members from two PDS datasets:

"C:\Program Files\WinSCP\WinSCP.com" ^
/ini=nul ^
/command ^
"lcd C:\<folder>" ^
"cd //HLQ1.<whatever>" ^
"get <membername1>" ^
"get <membername2>" ^
"cd //HLQ2.<whatever>" ^
"get <membername3>" ^
"exit"

It is a PITA, but it is working. Transfer OMVS files is a dream. No problemo there!

I still prefer the FTP process from Automation software on z/OS where you can do on large scale mulitple FTP transfers while renaming destination files using wildcards, timestamps, etc. like this:

put 'HLQ.%%YESTERDAY' OUTPUT-%%YESTERDAY.TXT

It is hard to do the same tricks from a windoze machine...

Grab whatever utility you can use and live with that... ;-D

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

Kirk Wolf

Sep 5, 2017, 11:00:42 AM9/5/17
Elardus,

I'm reasonably certain from looking at your script that your z/OS server is
running Co:Z SFTP, which is why it works :-)

Also, you could use PuTTY PSFTP to do batch scripting as well (on Windows),
or OpenSSH sftp on z/OS.

Regards,

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies