Using Windows HIS to replace a mainframe Enterprise Extender node

Tom Sims

Jul 28, 2021, 3:25:34 PM7/28/21
Greetings,

One of our clients is in the process of retiring their mainframe. They
are looking at Windows Host Integration Server as a possible replacement
for their Enterprise Extender node, which has been put forward as a
possibility by a remote mainframe partner.

Not a replacement for hosting the workload at either end, just for the
local end-point of EE.

Anyone out their with user experiences in doing this?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Sims
zOS Retiree-in-training

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Carmen Vitullo

Jul 28, 2021, 3:32:57 PM7/28/21
I think Virsa as a possible solution...It's been a long time but IIRC
they had a viable solution.

Carmen
--
/I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to
succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand

Carmen Vitullo

Jul 28, 2021, 3:44:12 PM7/28/21
I'm thinking Virsa is no longer around :( - or maybe I have the company
name wrong, they had emulators for 3270 controllers we used over EE that
connected from z/os to a windows platform at our agencies using like
controllers and 3270 terminals and printers.

Tom Brennan

Jul 28, 2021, 3:57:31 PM7/28/21
Visara? I think we had one of those boxes to connect system consoles at
one time. I wasn't the one who connected them up so that's about all I
remember.

Ken Bloom

Jul 28, 2021, 4:01:46 PM7/28/21
Hi

Visara is around and doing well. Product offerings for storage are VTL and DASD. The CCA 3074 provides console consolidation and automation.

Email me off line to discuss your needs

Regards
Ken

Kenneth A. Bloom
Avenir Technologies Inc
/d/b/a Visara International
203-984-2235<tel:203-984-2235>
bl...@visara.com<mailto:bl...@visara.com>
www.visara.com<http://www.visara.com/>

On Jul 28, 2021, at 3:57 PM, Tom Brennan <t...@tombrennansoftware.com> wrote:

Visara? I think we had one of those boxes to connect system consoles at one time. I wasn't the one who connected them up so that's about all I remember.

Radoslaw Skorupka

Jul 28, 2021, 6:02:03 PM7/28/21
What is your need?

I've been using HIS connected to the z/OS using EE as a transport.
Note, current HIS versions no longer support native SNA.
And usually HIS is not because of connectivity, because every z/OS is
TCP/IP capable. It is because the application rely on SNA.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

Jackson, Rob

Jul 28, 2021, 9:11:31 PM7/28/21
Visara? It's still around.

First Horizon Bank
Mainframe Technical Support

Jul 29, 2021, 12:38:05 AM7/29/21
IBM offers Enterprise Extender on multiple platforms:

https://www.ibm.com/products/communications-server-for-data-center

Timothy Sipples
I.T. Architect Executive
Digital Asset & Other Industry Solutions
IBM Z & LinuxONE
E-Mail: sip...@sg.ibm.com

James Crudele

Jul 29, 2021, 6:17:40 PM7/29/21