Add space to OMVS filesystem?

Charles Mills

Oct 7, 2019, 5:40:42 PM10/7/19
Please forgive the newbie question. I'm a coder, not a sysprog.

I have an existing OMVS filesystem:

ZFS 45 ACTIVE RDWR 10/06/2019 L=57
NAME=USERID.ZFS 16.15.27 Q=0
PATH=/u/userid
OWNER=S0W1 AUTOMOVE=Y CLIENT=N

It occupies 4000-odd tracks.

I have a free DASD volume with 3000 cylinders. I want to add those 3000
cylinders to the filesystem above.

Can someone tell me the commands? I am lost.

Thanks,

Charles

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Charles Mills

Oct 7, 2019, 6:23:58 PM10/7/19
Actually, probably easier, how about an entirely new filesystem /u/xyz ?

Charles

Lizette Koehler

Oct 7, 2019, 6:30:03 PM10/7/19
I do this in batch, but you can run in OMVS

//XPT001 EXPORT SYMLIST=*
//*
//SYM001 SET NZFS='OMVSSYS.CMOD.CACHE2.PRODUCT.ZFS'
//*
//ZFSGROW EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH,
// PARM='sh zfsadm grow -aggregate &NZFS. -size 0'
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSTSPRT DD SYSOUT=*
//STDOUT DD SYSOUT=*

The -0 forces it to grow based on the secondary allocation. Probably some other
tricks it can do.

Lizette

Gibney, Dave

Oct 7, 2019, 7:05:57 PM10/7/19
There are a few potential complications. Is existing SMS? Is new volume SMS? Was existing created with agggrow enabled?

Do you have a Sysprog or Storage Admin to help?

Charles Mills

Oct 7, 2019, 7:27:16 PM10/7/19
I don't know. I am totally lost with this stuff.

> Do you have a Sysprog or Storage Admin to help?

If I did I would be bothering him or her instead of you all <g>. I do have
another developer who may know more than I do. Getting him involved.

It is a flaw of the IBM Dallas Center theory. (Not IBM's fault; just a
logical flaw.) The theory is that IBM is not your sysprog: they give you an
LPAR with z/OS installed and say "click here to IPL" and that is in theory
about it. But if you are small enough to be running on IBM Dallas you
probably do not have a storage administrator on staff. IBM does help -- this
is not a slam on the Dallas guys at all; they are great; it is just not in
their job description to be your sysprog -- just saying that there is a
logical flaw in the assumptions.

I created a VSAM LDS on the volume. I cataloged it in a user catalog, but I
guess I screwed that up, because I do not see it in 3.4 under the HLQ. And
then the MOUNT fails of course.

Charles

Oct 7, 2019, 7:37:57 PM10/7/19
If that's what you want to do. It is what I would do baring further information about your situation since you're going from 300 to 3000 cylinders...

The Distributed File Service zFS Administration (SC23-6887-30), Chapter 4. Creating and managing zFS file systems using compatibility mode aggregates outlines two options with example JCL.

Copying each file and directory of the aggregate to a larger data set--z/OS UNIX pax command.

Copying the physical blocks of the aggregate to a larger data set--IDCAMS REPRO.

Have used both methods many times.

Regards,

Kevin

Oct 7, 2019, 7:51:28 PM10/7/19
I do not know if your volumes are SMS managed or not.

If they are and you issue the zfsadmn command, you can see if it grows the way
you think it should.

Or as others have suggested, create a bigger new one. Copy from zFS to other.
Then delete your older file.

Have you looked at the df command? That tells you how much you have consumed in
the zFS file.

If you create a new zFS file, you may want to include multiple volumes in the
DEF command.

Hope some of this helps

Lizette

Lizette Koehler

Oct 7, 2019, 7:57:11 PM10/7/19
One option, and I have not tried it.

IDCAMS ADDVOL(xxxx)

That could work. I have used that on other VSAM files so I do not see why it
cannot work

David Spiegel

Oct 7, 2019, 8:06:45 PM10/7/19
Hi Charles,
When using OPT 3.4, please be sure to put a slash to the left of
"Include Additional Qualifiers"
  Menu  RefList  RefMode  Utilities Help
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
                            Data Set List Utility
Option ===>

   blank Display data set list               P Print data set list
       V Display VTOC information           PV Print VTOC information

Enter one or both of the parameters below:
   Dsname Level . . .
   Volume serial  . .

Data set list options
   Initial View                 Enter "/" to select option
   1  1. Volume                 /  Confirm Data Set Delete
      2. Space                  /  Confirm Member Delete
      3. Attrib                 /  Include Additional Qualifiers
      4. Total                  /  Display Catalog Name
                                   Display Total Tracks

Here is JCL I have used successfully to create a Multi-volume zFS on
z/OS V2.3:
//ALLOCZFS JOB (ACCT),
//             '                    ',
//             CLASS=A,
//             MSGCLASS=X,
//             MSGLEVEL=(1,1),
//             REGION=0M,
// NOTIFY=&SYSUID
//DEFINE  EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSUDUMP DD  SYSOUT=*
//AMSDUMP  DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD     *
  DEF CL( -
         NAME(ZFS.LOCAL1) -
         DATACLAS(DCZFSEXT) -
         STORCLAS(SCZFSEXT) -
      /* VOL(ZFS000) */ -
         LINEAR -
         TRK(100000 10000) -
         SHR(3) -
        )
//CREATE  EXEC PGM=IOEAGFMT,REGION=0M,
//             PARM=('-aggregate ZFS.LOCAL1 -compat')
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//STDOUT   DD  SYSOUT=*
//STDERR   DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSUDUMP DD  SYSOUT=*
//CEEDUMP  DD  SYSOUT=*

Regards,
David
> .

Charles Mills

Oct 8, 2019, 1:06:56 PM10/8/19
Thanks all.

What I am trying to do is to install a vendor product. (The vendor is one you all know and love who is not famous for customer hand-holding.) But I did find in one of the myriad supplied PDFs a cookbook for accomplishing this. It seems to be under control.

Charles

Brown, Duncan

Oct 10, 2019, 9:21:39 AM10/10/19
Charles,

I use this tool to increase the size of a OMVS file.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4769.pdf

Works great.

Duncan Brown