IBM Z Publications Archive site will replace the Library Server site

Geoff Smith

Apr 26, 2019, 1:57:32 PM4/26/19
On June 1, 2019 the Library Server site that hosts out of service z/OS documentation in BookManager and PDF format will be sunset (https://publib.boulder.ibm.com/support/libraryserver/library). It is being replaced by the IBM Z Publications Archive ( https://ibm.biz/BdzXvw ). The Library Server site has many quality issues such as missing books, multiple versions of the same content, and broken links. The new IBM Z Publications Archive is designed to provide reliable, consistent access to curated legacy information.

The IBM Z Library Archive lets users download individual BookManager books or PDFs. It also provides links to whole collections of content via Adobe Indexed PDF Collections. If the Archive site doesn’t have the specific content you are looking for, use the IBM Softcopy Librarian (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=4&uid=swg27018846) to download whole collections of documentation or use the Publications Center (https://www-05.ibm.com/e-business/linkweb/publications/servlet/pbi.wss) to find and download individual books. All the books hosted by Library Server reside on the IBM Publications Center. As the Library Server site is sunset all the books will continue to be available on the IBM Publications Center site.

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Farley, Peter x23353

Apr 26, 2019, 3:05:52 PM4/26/19
Geoff,

Thank you for the notification. Is it possible for IBM Softcopy Librarian to be permitted to access the site that is about to be sunset so that entire shelves can be downloaded should the user envision a need for those shelves of out-of-service hardware and/or software?

There is not sufficient time before the sunset date for book-by-book download using the Z Library Archive tool. Could the archive be updated to permit whole shelf downloads instead, including the shelf description files, with sufficient time before the sunset date to permit users to utilize such a feature?

Could the entire sunsetted website and shelf+book contents be donated to bitsavers.org or to cbttape.org for posterity? It seems very wrong to lose easy access to so much computing history simply because the site has "quality issues". Volunteers could and I suspect would gladly help resolve those "quality issues" if the contents were made available to be updated.

Personally I would gladly donate as many multi-terabyte disks as needed to any organization that was given the contents to retain all of that history.

Peter

Apr 26, 2019, 3:26:26 PM4/26/19
> Could the entire sunsetted website and shelf+book contents be donated to bitsavers.org or to cbttape.org for posterity? It seems very wrong to lose easy access to so much computing history simply because the site has "quality issues". Volunteers could and I suspect would gladly help resolve those "quality issues" if the contents were made available to be updated.

I would like to see all the information saved as well. For computing
history folks, it will be much easier to deal with the "quality
issues" now, while the whole site can be treated as one big chunk of
information, than in the future, when the files will be spread out all
over creation with many corrupted, forgotten, or gone for good.

--
Will