z/OS receiving of LF only delimited text files

Frank Swarbrick

Jan 29, 2009, 1:03:00 PM1/29/09
We received a file by email that apparently was created and emailed from a
*nix type system, because the end of line delimiter is only a linefeed (LF)
instead of a CRLF. This cannot be uploaded to z/OS in ASCII mode from a
Windows machine because Windows does not recognise LF as end-of-line, and
just passes it through as is. The z/OS FTP server also does not recognise LF
only as end-of-line, and thus gives me the following error:

451-Record is too long to process
451 Transfer aborted due to file error.

Is there any way to force the z/OS FTP server to recognise just LF as the
end-of-line delimiter. I see that one can use SITE SBSENDEOL=LF, but this
appears to only work when z/OS is *sending* the file, not receiving it.

Do we just need to convert the file on Windows before uploading it (changing
all lone LF delimiters to CRLF delimiters)?

Of course the best solution is to always get files with CRLF delimiters. But
when dealing with outside entities this is not always possible.

Thanks!
Frank

send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Ed Philbrook

Jan 29, 2009, 2:35:06 PM1/29/09
A text processor named ConText will convert LF to CRLF and vis vera. It's
freeware.

EdP

Frank Swarbrick <fswar...@GMAIL.COM>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-...@bama.ua.edu>
01/29/2009 01:03 PM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-...@bama.ua.edu>

IBM-...@bama.ua.edu
cc

Subject
z/OS receiving of LF only delimited text files

Thanks!
Frank

Notice: This communication, including any attachments, is intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This
communication may contain information that is protected from disclosure
under State and/or Federal law. Please notify the sender immediately if
you have received this communication in error and delete this email from
your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you are requested not
to disclose, copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on the
contents of this information.

Hal Merritt

Jan 29, 2009, 2:56:59 PM1/29/09
Simply open the file with Notepad or Wordpad and then save it as a TXT file. Seems to work for me. Not for routine transfers, of course, but good enough for occasional use.

As best I can remember, that is a configuration option on the originating *nix.

[...]

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended
together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or distribution

Roach, Dennis , N-DIT

Jan 29, 2009, 3:16:05 PM1/29/09
Use the SITE or LOCSITE command with WRAPrecord. Variable length records
works great.
Write a program to read the file, treating it like a string of
characters. At each LF, write a record. Again, having the output file as
VB works nice.

If the file is VB/5000 WRAP will give you a series of 5000 byte records
with a short one at the end.
If the file is FB/5000 WRAP will give you a series of 5000 byte records
with a padded one at the end.

Dennis Roach
GHG Corporation
2100 Space Park Drive
LM-15 4BH
Houston, Texas 77058
Voice: (281) 336-5027
Cell: (713) 511-1059
E-Mail: Dennis...@LMCo.COM

All opinions expressed by me are mine and may not agree with my employer
or any person, company, or thing, living or dead, on or near this or any
other planet, moon, asteroid, or other spatial object, natural or
manufactured, since the beginning of time.