Rocket's Git and GitHub Enterprise

kekronbekron

Aug 5, 2021, 9:27:39 AM8/5/21

Request your inputs please on the following:

If a company has GitHub Enterprise, can we hook that to Rocket's Git for z/OS, running on z/OS.
Will that work without GitHub Enterprise making a copy/mirror of the original repos on Z?

It would be amazing to keep Z's stuff managed by Git on Z, but then just use GitHub's excellent UI and workflows.

- KB

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Pew, Curtis G

Aug 5, 2021, 9:47:46 AM8/5/21
On Aug 5, 2021, at 8:27 AM, kekronbekron <000002dee3fcae3...@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> wrote:

> If a company has GitHub Enterprise, can we hook that to Rocket's Git for z/OS, running on z/OS.
> Will that work without GitHub Enterprise making a copy/mirror of the original repos on Z?
>
> It would be amazing to keep Z's stuff managed by Git on Z, but then just use GitHub's excellent UI and workflows.

Well, if the question is “can you use Rocket’s port of git for z/OS with GitHub Enterprise?” then the answer is definitely yes. The University of Texas has both, and I use them together all the time.

I’m not sure what you’re asking with “GitHub Enterprise making a copy/mirror of the original repos on z?” That’s not really the way git works: it’s a distributed version control system, so you always have a local copy of the repository.

If I’m starting a new project, I usually create a repository on GitHub Enterprise, and then clone it on whichever z/OS LPAR I’m working on, as well as on my laptop. Then I use `git push` and `git pull` to keep them in sync.

--
Pew, Curtis G
curti...@austin.utexas.edu

Edgington, Jerry

Aug 5, 2021, 9:55:24 AM8/5/21
Yes, Rocket's Git client for z/OS can be used to download a Git repo from any Git server, like Github, Gitlab, BitBucket, etc.

Aug 5, 2021, 10:30:09 AM8/5/21
Hmm.. what I mean is - I don't want GitHub Enterprise to have a copy of the repo.
I understand GitHub E being 'the source' and then git clone etc. to local or z/OS.
What I'm saying is... I want Rocket Git for z/OS to be 'the source', and then just use GitHub as the front-end for it.
Don't want it to make copies of what's on Git for Z.
Z should remain the system of record; don't want to put SYS1.PARMLIB for example on GitHub E.
Even if GitHub E has auth etc., a very small percent of people in the company need to even be aware of SYS1.PARMLIB.
Putting it on GitHub E means it's wide open for anyone in the company (with access to GitHub E).

Just trying to understand what can be done to -
a) keep Git on Z as 'the source'
b) hide the MF-Git-linked repositories from the general GitHub E crowd

- KB
> > If a company has GitHub Enterprise, can we hook that to Rocket's Git for z/OS, running on z/OS.
> >
> > Will that work without GitHub Enterprise making a copy/mirror of the original repos on Z?
> >
> > It would be amazing to keep Z's stuff managed by Git on Z, but then just use GitHub's excellent UI and workflows.
>
> Well, if the question is “can you use Rocket’s port of git for z/OS with GitHub Enterprise?” then the answer is definitely yes. The University of Texas has both, and I use them together all the time.
>
> I’m not sure what you’re asking with “GitHub Enterprise making a copy/mirror of the original repos on z?” That’s not really the way git works: it’s a distributed version control system, so you always have a local copy of the repository.
>
> If I’m starting a new project, I usually create a repository on GitHub Enterprise, and then clone it on whichever z/OS LPAR I’m working on, as well as on my laptop. Then I use `git push` and `git pull` to keep them in sync.
>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Pew, Curtis G
>
> curti...@austin.utexas.edu

Edgington, Jerry

Aug 5, 2021, 10:48:02 AM8/5/21
Rocket's port of Git, is not the server component, only the Git client. So, z/OS cannot act as the Git server.

Jerry

Aug 5, 2021, 10:56:30 AM8/5/21
What you can do is host a Git server instance e.g. on Linux for Z. This way you don't have to move your assets off the machine.
If moving something off the platform is not the concern but rather who can access it then I'd suggest to restrict the repositories to the people that need to know. GitHub for Enterprise allows you to do exactly that. You can setup teams/organizations which have specific access to repositories and projects.

You'll have to answer the question on how you keep these assets in sync. In the end you would want to deploy your assets from Git to the actual Parmlib but I assume that this will be quite difficult to achieve.

Cheers - David

> What you can do is host a Git server instance e.g. on Linux for Z. This way you don't have to move your assets off the machine.
> If moving something off the platform is not the concern but rather who can access it then I'd suggest to restrict the repositories to the people that need to know. GitHub for Enterprise allows you to do exactly that. You can setup teams/organizations which have specific access to repositories and projects.
>
> You'll have to answer the question on how you keep these assets in sync. In the end you would want to deploy your assets from Git to the actual Parmlib but I assume that this will be quite difficult to achieve.

Right. I don’t know of any way to use GitHub Enterprise without having clones of the repositories present in GitHub E, but it’s fairly easy to restrict which GitHub E users can see your repositories.

--
Pew, Curtis G
curti...@austin.utexas.edu

kekronbekron

Aug 5, 2021, 11:37:03 AM8/5/21
Hmm.. that does work.
However, I doubt the small portion of imaginary folks wanting Git server on Z would setup Linux on Z (perhaps an even smaller portion of folks?) just for this.

But yeah, that's the terminology I suppose. Git server & client.
Would be excellent for z/OS to have its own Git server, and plug that to GitHub just for the UI.

Deploy to PARMLIB being difficult - can you please expand.

- KB

> What you can do is host a Git server instance e.g. on Linux for Z. This way you don't have to move your assets off the machine.
>
> If moving something off the platform is not the concern but rather who can access it then I'd suggest to restrict the repositories to the people that need to know. GitHub for Enterprise allows you to do exactly that. You can setup teams/organizations which have specific access to repositories and projects.
>
> You'll have to answer the question on how you keep these assets in sync. In the end you would want to deploy your assets from Git to the actual Parmlib but I assume that this will be quite difficult to achieve.
>
> Cheers - David

Timothy Sipples

Aug 6, 2021, 12:46:58 AM8/6/21
David Frenzel wrote:
>What you can do is host a Git server instance e.g. on Linux for Z.

And/or via the z/OS Container Extensions (zCX). The Java-oriented projects
Gitblit and GitBucket are other possibilities.

http://gitblit.github.io/gitblit/

https://github.com/gitbucket/gitbucket

It'd be interesting reading reports of experiences running Gitblit and
GitBucket on z/OS.

Timothy Sipples
I.T. Architect Executive
Digital Asset & Other Industry Solutions
IBM Z & LinuxONE
E-Mail: sip...@sg.ibm.com