TSO/ISPF Screen Swap

Howard Rifkind

Jul 14, 2008, 8:12:02 AM7/14/08
I used to have the PF keys on my PC set put to swap between different screens but I'm no longer in possession of that PC and I can't recall how I did this.

I'm opening up several screens with the start command and I would like to know how to switch between them.

If I open up three screens and use the swap command I seem to only be able to switch between two of them.

Also, how do I go about seeing which screen are available, I used to see this also with a PF key setting and then select the one I wanted.

Thanks...

send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

John P Kalinich

Jul 14, 2008, 8:22:02 AM7/14/08
Howard Rifkind of the IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-...@BAMA.UA.EDU>

wrote on 07/14/2008 07:11:52 AM:

> I used to have the PF keys on my PC set put to swap between
> different screens but I'm no longer in possession of that PC and I
> can't recall how I did this.
> I'm opening up several screens with the start command and I would
> like to know how to switch between them.
> If I open up three screens and use the swap command I seem to only
> be able to switch between two of them.

swap next

> Also, how do I go about seeing which screen are available, I used to
> see this also with a PF key setting and then select the one I wanted.

swap list

Regards,
John K

Bri P

Jul 14, 2008, 8:23:30 AM7/14/08
Howard

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I do it with the SWAP LIST command, which I assign to the PF key in place of the normal SWAP command).

It puts up a menu of screens as you describe below.

Brian

Horne, Jim - James S

Jul 14, 2008, 8:26:57 AM7/14/08
Howard,

If I understand you this sounds as though you are talking about TSO/ISPF PF key settings which are independent of what PC you use - they are in your ISPF profile. I keep a PF key set to "SWAP" and another one set to "SWAP LIST". The first one switches between the two ISPF sessions on screen. The second one brings up a list of all current ISPF sessions and allows you to pick the one you want.

But, again, I'm a little confused by your question because you mention that it doesn't work since you changed PCs. Did I adequately answer your question?

Jim Horne
Systems Programmer
Large Systems Engineering & Messaging IS7-5
Lowe's Companies, Inc.
401 Elkin Highway
North Wilkesboro, NC 28659
336-658-4959
Jim....@Lowes.com

Jul 14, 2008, 8:34:13 AM7/14/08
How about split new as many as you need.
Then set pfkeys to swap 1, swap 2. swap 3.

George

Jul 14, 2008, 9:06:07 AM7/14/08
what I think you're looking for is a (separate) pfkey set up for

SWAP NEXT

the "next" is what makes it rotate thru all the sessions, one by one.

/s/ tuco bonno
graduate, College of Conflict Management;
University of Southeast Asia;
"I partied on the Ho Chi Minh Trail - tiến lên !! "

I have a command 'SS' set to invoke SELECT CMD(%STARTUP &ZPARM); which lists the current ISPF applications executing and allows you to select from the list. I think I obtained the 'STARTUP' command from a CBT tape, but don't know off the top of my head. It's useful when you have lots of different applications running under ISPF.

Mike.

Jul 14, 2008, 10:14:45 AM7/14/08
I have my PF2 key set to SPLIT NEW (and PF14 regular SPLIT). And even though there _may_ be a way to automate this, when I logon I immediately start up 8 screens.

I have memorized the use for each. For example 1 is normal edit, 2 is SDSF, 3 is a USS session, 4 is 3.4, 5 is edit/view on system libraries (like sys1.**) and 6 - 8 as needed.

Then when I need to go to one I type the number at the command line and hit PF9. So 2 and PF9 and I'm in SDSF, etc.

What I haven't figured out yet is how to make just the PF9 swap between the two screens I want it to.

Jul 14, 2008, 10:27:53 AM7/14/08
Lindy Mayfield wrote:
> I have my PF2 key set to SPLIT NEW (and PF14 regular SPLIT).
> And even though there _may_ be a way to automate this, when I
> logon I immediately start up 8 screens.

I have a rexx exec that sets up five screens, including the
initial screen, each with an initial application, and naming
the screens ("CODE", "JCL", "SDSF", and so on). I use "start"
in this process instead of "split new".

In fact, I may have gotten the initial version from this
list back year ago.

Here's my current version:

/* rexx Ver4 */

address ispexec

'vget zdel'

'select pgm(ispstrt) ' ,
'parm(scrname on'zdel'scrname code perm'zdel' ' ,
' =3.4'zdel'swap last) suspend'

'select pgm(ispstrt) parm(scrname jcl perm'zdel' ' ,
' =3.4'zdel'swap last) suspend'

'select pgm(ispstrt) parm(scrname sdsf perm'zdel' ',
' =m.5'zdel'st'zdel'swap last) suspend'

'select pgm(ispstrt) parm(scrname cmd perm'zdel' ' ,
' =6'zdel'swap last) suspend '

cmd = "scrname one perm"
'display command(cmd) panel(ispblank)'

> I have memorized the use for each. For example 1 is normal edit,
> 2 is SDSF, 3 is a USS session, 4 is 3.4, 5 is edit/view on system
> libraries (like sys1.**) and 6 - 8 as needed.
>
> Then when I need to go to one I type the number at the command line
> and hit PF9. So 2 and PF9 and I'm in SDSF, etc.
>
> What I haven't figured out yet is how to make just the PF9 swap
> between the two screens I want it to.

SWAP by itself only swaps between the two most recently visited
screens. You can add a screen number, as you do, or you can swap
to a screen name. I often end up with something like this:

==> swap code;c master-foil master-file all;save;swap jcl;sub;swap sdsf

I tend to prefer screen names as opposed to screen numbers.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

z/OS Application development made easier
* Our classes include
+ How things work
+ Programming examples with realistic applications
+ Starter / skeleton code
+ Complete working programs
+ Useful utilities and subroutines
+ Tips and techniques

==> Check out the Trainer's Friend Store to purchase z/OS <==
==> application developer toolkits. Sample code in four <==
==> programming languages, JCL to Assemble or compile, <==
==> bind and test. <==
==> http://www.trainersfriend.com/TTFStore/index.html <==

Gary Green

Jul 14, 2008, 11:00:39 AM7/14/08
What you're thinking of is "SWAP NEXT" or "SWAP PREV". Next goes to the next ISPF screen in the list. Prev does the reverse (it goes backwards).

If it matters, I have ALL my "swap related keys" coded as

PF2 SPLIT NEW
PF9 SWAP NEXT
PF14 SPLIT LIST
PF21 SWAP PREV

And since I usually control the system I change the ISPF CONFIG to allow 32 split screens. And, usually, I am the only one that takes advantage of this capability (multiple, i.e. more than 2, split screens).

Works like a charm!

On Mon Jul 14 5:11 , Howard Rifkind <ibm_...@YAHOO.COM> sent:

>I used to have the PF keys on my PC set put to swap between different screens but I'm no longer in possession of that PC and I can't recall how I did this.
>
>I'm opening up several screens with the start command and I would like to know how to switch between them.
>
>If I open up three screens and use the swap command I seem to only be able to switch between two of them.
>
>Also, how do I go about seeing which screen are available, I used to see this also with a PF key setting and then select the one I wanted.
>
>Thanks...

Tom Marchant

Jul 14, 2008, 12:15:05 PM7/14/08
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:35:07 -0400, Gary Green wrote:

>And since I usually control the system I change the ISPF CONFIG
>to allow 32 split screens.

I don't control the system here, but I have been frustrated by the need for
> 8 splits. I created a customized ISPCFIGU in my private load library
concatenated to ISPLLIB.

--
Ton Marchant

Gary Green

Jul 14, 2008, 12:25:18 PM7/14/08
It's a simple parm change in the ISPF config assembly. Perhaps a free lunch for the person responsible would get you that update. Of course, since you discovered the back-door approach, it's probably a moot point now. ;)

On Mon Jul 14 11:14 , Tom Marchant <m42tom-...@YAHOO.COM> sent:

Don Leahy

Jul 14, 2008, 12:57:06 PM7/14/08
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Tom Marchant <m42tom-...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't control the system here, but I have been frustrated by the need for
>> 8 splits. I created a customized ISPCFIGU in my private load library
> concatenated to ISPLLIB.
>
> --
> Ton Marchant

I did something similar, but in my case it was to enable SITECMDS.

Roger Bolan

Jul 15, 2008, 10:25:43 AM7/15/08
You could be talking about a couple of different things; Keys on your
terminal emulator or ISPF PF keys. On my system I can use <alt-page up>
to jump between PCOMM sessions. Or <alt-tab> to jump between all
windows on my Windows XP machine.

If you are really talking about ISPF PF keys, here's what I do. I have
customized my keylists to change all the SPLIT keys to START keys. So
PF2 is START everywhere for me. Then PF9 has been changed from SWAP to
SWAP NEXT everywhere. This allows me to press PF2 to get a full new
screen whenever I need one, and PF9 to roll between the screens. Your
preferences may differ, but I never see any point in having only a part
of screen when I have multiple whole screens instead.
--Roger

Mark Yuhas

Jul 15, 2008, 11:56:12 AM7/15/08
For my 2 cents worth, I modified the TSO LOGON REXX EXEC to establish 10
sessions for me. I also created a set of user commands X1, X2, X3 ...,
X9, XA in our user table. Each command swaps to the corresponding
session, e.g. X1 is SWAP 1, X2 is SWAP 2, etc.

Thus, swapping is just a matter of entering the proper command. This
works very well. Oh, I do set PF2 & PF9 to SWAP PREV & SWAP NEXT.

I do have an anomaly when invoking the 10 sessions. When I first logon
and the sessions are established only the first 8 are in the swap list.
Session 9 & session 10 are not in the list and the corresponding swap
commands act just like an IEFBR14.

The swap list remain the same until I swap to the first session when the
swap list will then contain the ninth & tenth session. All is fine
afterwards.

I asked the ISPF gurus at SHARE and they said it shouldn't work like
this.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Itschak Mugzach

Jul 15, 2008, 12:03:44 PM7/15/08
Hmm. A year ago (or so), I wrote a short rexx that

| Itschak Mugzach | Director | SecuriTeam Software |
| Email: i_mu...@securiteam.co.il | Mob: +972 522 986404 | Skype: Itschak
Mugzach | Web: www.Securiteam.co.il |

Jul 15, 2008, 1:03:11 PM7/15/08
>The swap list remain the same until I swap to the first session when the swap list will then contain the ninth & tenth session. All is fine afterwards.

>I asked the ISPF gurus at SHARE and they said it shouldn't work like this.

You need to hit enter (or some other terminal interrupt) to get all screens active.

I wrote an article, just over a year ago, with a set up similar to yours.
I missed the point about this very phenomenon, because I have my swap key set to SWAP NEXT which masks it.
-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!

Itschak Mugzach

Jul 15, 2008, 1:57:33 PM7/15/08
Boys,

Why should one remember which logical screen holds EDIT, SDSF or what so
ever? Why not just enter "swap sdsf"? If sdsf is active on any logical
screen, the swap command should swap to this LS, or open a new one if not
sdsf is active? I wrote a small rexx that does that but it was on the
tso-rexx list which is not active any more. I'll try to emal a copy
tomorrow, and you can change it to do swap EDIT, SWAP util, etc.

ITschak

| Itschak Mugzach | Director | SecuriTeam Software |
| Email: i_mu...@securiteam.co.il | Mob: +972 522 986404 | Skype: Itschak
Mugzach | Web: www.Securiteam.co.il |

Here is the RE#xx exec to swap between logical screens based on application
name rather then its number. Enjoy.

| Itschak Mugzach | Director | SecuriTeam Software |
| Email: i_mu...@securiteam.co.il | Mob: +972 522 986404 | Skype: Itschak
Mugzach | Web: www.Securiteam.co.il |

/* REXX */
/*--------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/* */
/* SWAP TO SDSF */
/* THIS (SMALL) PROGRAM INVOKES AS AN ISPF COMMAND. IT WILL LOOK AT */
/* THE ISPF SWAP LIST TABLE AND LOOK TO SEE IF SDSF IS ALREADY STARTED*/
/* IF SDSF IS STARTED, IT WILL SWAP TO SDSF. OTHERWISE, IT WILL START */
/* SDSF IN A NEW LOGICAL SCREEN. */
/* THE PROGRAM WAS DEVELOPED BY ITSCHAK MUGZACH FROM SECURITEAM SOFTWA*/
/* AS A SAMPLE TO AZRIEL SNIR. */
/* (C) SECURITEAM SOFTWARE 2006. */
/*--------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/* TRACE "R" */
SWAPTOSDSF:
SIGNAL SWAPTOSDSF.CONFIG
TRACE ALL
SWAPTOSDSF.DOC:

SWAPTOSDSF.CONFIG:
PSEUDOPAN = "ISRTSO" /* PSEUDO PANEL TO DISPLAY */
SDSFAPPL = "ISF" /* SDSF APPLID */
MAXAPPLS = 8 /* MAX LOGICAL SCREENS TO CHK*/

SWAPTOSDSF.CONST:
STS0001E = 'STS0001E SCREEN IMAGE NOT FOUND'
STS0002I = 'STS0002I MYSWAPTOSDSF OPTIONS SELECTED: '
STS0003I = 'STS0003I STATUS FOR DEVICE ADDRESS '
DISPLY4 = 'COMMAND NOT FOUND'
DISPLY8 = 'END OR RETURN COMMAND ENTERED'
DISPLY12 = 'PANEL, MESSAGE, OR CURSOR FIELD COULD NOT BE FOUND'
DISPLY16 = 'DATA TRUNCATION OR TRANSLATION ERROR'
DISPLY20 = 'SEVERE ERROR.'
SELECT4 = 'RETURN COMMAND ENTERED FROM SELECTED MENU OR FROM',
'OR FROM LOWER LEVEL PANEL.'
SELECT8 = 'INVALID FOR SELECT PANEL COMMAND.'
SELECT12 = 'THE PANEL COULD NOT BE FOUND.'
SELECT16 = 'TRUNCATION ERROR IN STORING ZCMD OR ZSEL VARIABLE.'
SELECT20 = 'SEVERE ERROR.'
SWAPCMD = "SWAP LIST;END" /* SDSF APPLID */
NSWAPSDF = "START S"

SWAPTOSDSF.VAR:
INDEX = 0

SWAPTOSDSF.MAIN:
ADDRESS ISPEXEC "CONTROL ERRORS RETURN"
ADDRESS ISPEXEC "CONTROL NONDISPL END NOCMD"
ADDRESS ISPEXEC "DISPLAY PANEL("PSEUDOPAN") COMMAND(SWAPCMD)"
IF (RC ×= 0) THEN DO
CALL ERRORHANDLER RC DISPLY STSPPRCX
END
ADDRESS ISPEXEC "VGET (ZAPPID1 ZAPPID2 ZAPPID3 ZAPPID4) ASIS"
ADDRESS ISPEXEC "VGET (ZAPPID5 ZAPPID6 ZAPPID7 ZAPPID8) ASIS"
ADDRESS ISPEXEC "VGET (ZTLDID1 ZTLDID2 ZTLDID3 ZTLDID4) ASIS"
ADDRESS ISPEXEC "VGET (ZTLDID5 ZTLDID6 ZTLDID7 ZTLDID8) ASIS"
DO WHILE (INDEX < MAXAPPLS)
INDEX = INDEX + 1
APPLIDENT = VALUE(ZAPPID||INDEX)
IF (APPLIDENT = SDSFAPPL) THEN DO
SWAPIDENT = SUBSTR(VALUE(ZTLDID||INDEX),1,1)
SWAPSDSF = "SWAP "||SWAPIDENT
/* SAY 'SWAPIDENT =' SWAPIDENT */
/* SAY 'SWAPSDSF =' SWAP2SDSF */
INDEX = 99
ADDRESS ISPEXEC "CONTROL NONDISPL END NOCMD"
ADDRESS ISPEXEC "DISPLAY PANEL("PSEUDOPAN") COMMAND(SWAPSDSF)"
ADDRESS ISPEXEC "CONTROL NOCMD"
END
END
IF (INDEX ×= 99) THEN DO
ADDRESS ISPEXEC "CONTROL NONDISPL END"
ADDRESS ISPEXEC "DISPLAY PANEL("PSEUDOPAN") COMMAND(NSWAPSDF)"
END
EXIT
/* -------------------------------------END OF BBBB-------------*/
ERRORHANDLER:
SIGNAL HANDLEDAILS.CONS
TRACE ALL
ERRORHANDLER.DOC:
/*-------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/* */
/* APPLICATION ERROR HANDLER */
/* GENERATE ERROR MESSAGES & CALL CLEANUP */
/* (C) COPYWRITE SECURITEAM SOFTWARE LTD 2006 */
/*-------------------------------------------------------------------*/
ERRORHANDLER.CONS:
NOP
ERRORHANDLER.VAR:
NOP
ERRORHANDLER.MAIN:
ARG RCX FUNC PARM1
SAY 'STS9999D' VALUE(FUNC||RC)
EXIT RC
END
/*-------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/* TRACE "R" */
/* */
/* "ISPEXEC SELECT PGM(ISPSTRT) PARM(SWAP SDSF)" */
/* "ISPEXEC SELECT PGM(ISPSTRT) PARM(START S)" */
/* IF RC <> 0 THEN "ISPEXEC SELECT PGM(ISPSTRT) PARM(START S)" */
EXIT

Mark Yuhas

Jul 16, 2008, 12:17:38 PM7/16/08
The reason I chose X1, X2, X3 ... X9, XA is that I am just lazy. Also,
I stack commands in the command area. Thus, the shorter the command
string, the more I can enter.

As for hitting ENTER to activate all the sessions, I have tried it and
it fails. The only way to activate all sessions is to swap to the first
session.

Howard Rifkind

Jul 16, 2008, 9:59:49 PM7/16/08
I'm late in thanking everyone for replying to my question. Thanks for refreshing an old brain.

Regards.

Jul 21, 2008, 8:21:10 AM7/21/08
Charles Hardee of the IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-...@BAMA.UA.EDU>

wrote on 07/21/2008 06:58:51 AM:

> Regarding the TSO/ISPF Screen swapping command "SWAP name".
> Is there anyone out there that knows how to invoke the SCRNAME command
> from within a REXX and/or CLIST?
>
> I have an IMACRO set for most, if not all, of my files and I would like
> to modify it to issue the SCRNAME command using the member name as the
> operand. I have tried executing it as an ISPEXEC, ISREDUT and TSO
> command and none of them work.
>
> I can see it as a PARM possibility on issue a ISPEXEC START command, but
> is that the only place it can be used?

Gilbert Saint-flour posted this on the TSO-REXX list a few years ago..

Address ISPEXEC
"VGET ZSYSNODE"
cmd = 'PANELID OFF;SCRNAME ON;SCRNAME 'zsysnode 'PERM'
"DISPLAY PANEL(ISPSTRTP) COMMAND(CMD)"

Regards,
John K

Hardee, Charles H

Jul 21, 2008, 10:34:13 AM7/21/08
Hi John,

Thanks for the thought. I've tried that and either I have something not
quite right, or it doesn't work any longer. This is what I have:

ISPEXEC VGET (ZDEL)
SET CMD = &STR(SCRNAME ON&ZDEL.SCRNAME &MEMBERNM PERM)
ISPEXEC DISPLAY PANEL(FAKETSO) COMMAND(&CMD)

Yes, I am using CLIST and not REXX, sorry :(.

The panel, FAKETSO has 3 lines:

)BODY

)END

The line between the )BODY and )END is blank. When I just had 2 lines,
no blank line in between, panel management complained that I needed at
least 1 line in the panel body.

This is what I get when I execute the IMACRO:

* ISPS109
*
* Unexpected list found
* A list of names was found where a list was not expected.
*
*
*
*
*
*
* Current dialog statement:
* ISPEXEC DISPLAY PANEL(FAKETSO) COMMAND(SCRNAME ON;SCRNAME XXX PERM)
*
* Enter HELP command for further information regarding this error.
* Press ENTER key to terminate the dialog.

If I use :

ISPEXEC SELECT PGM(IEFBR14) PARM(&CMD)

Instead of the DISPLAY PANEL, I don't receive any errors, but the upper
left portion where I am expecting the result of the SCRNAME command are
not correct. Specifically, I get "EDIT" for SCRNAME, not the name of the
member being edited.

Chuck

<snip>

Gilbert Saint-flour posted this on the TSO-REXX list a few years ago..

Address ISPEXEC
"VGET ZSYSNODE"
cmd = 'PANELID OFF;SCRNAME ON;SCRNAME 'zsysnode 'PERM'
"DISPLAY PANEL(ISPSTRTP) COMMAND(CMD)"

</snip>

Itschak Mugzach

Jul 21, 2008, 10:41:44 AM7/21/08
Was you under EDIF? It might explain why ISPF thought this is a builtin
macro name.

Itschak

| Itschak Mugzach | Director | SecuriTeam Software |
| Email: i_mu...@securiteam.co.il | Mob: +972 522 986404 | Skype: Itschak
Mugzach | Web: www.Securiteam.co.il |

Jul 21, 2008, 10:58:57 AM7/21/08
Charles Hardee of the IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-...@BAMA.UA.EDU>

Charles,

Remove the ampersand from your COMMAND(&CMD) operand. Also, add an )INIT
section to your fake panel with a .RESP=END statment following it.

ISPEXEC VGET (ZDEL)
SET CMD = &STR(SCRNAME ON&ZDEL.SCRNAME &MEMBERNM PERM)

ISPEXEC DISPLAY PANEL(FAKETSO) COMMAND(CMD)

)BODY
blank line
)INIT
.RESP=END
)PROC
)END

Regards,
John K

Hardee, Charles H

Jul 21, 2008, 11:11:44 AM7/21/08
<snip>

Remove the ampersand from your COMMAND(&CMD) operand. Also, add an
)INIT
section to your fake panel with a .RESP=END statment following it.

ISPEXEC VGET (ZDEL)
SET CMD = &STR(SCRNAME ON&ZDEL.SCRNAME &MEMBERNM PERM)
ISPEXEC DISPLAY PANEL(FAKETSO) COMMAND(CMD)

)BODY
blank line
)INIT
.RESP=END
)PROC
)END

</snip>

John,

Thanks!
That did it.

I've been bit before by the & versus no & on variables. I don't know why
I didn't think of it earlier.

As to the ".RESP=END", I hadn't thought of that at all.

Thanks again for you help.

Chuck

Mahdiyeh Parham

Sep 6, 2021, 2:19:23 AM9/6/21
On Monday, July 14, 2008 at 4:42:02 PM UTC+4:30, Howard Rifkind wrote:
> I used to have the PF keys on my PC set put to swap between different screens but I'm no longer in possession of that PC and I can't recall how I did this.
> I'm opening up several screens with the start command and I would like to know how to switch between them.
> If I open up three screens and use the swap command I seem to only be able to switch between two of them.
> Also, how do I go about seeing which screen are available, I used to see this also with a PF key setting and then select the one I wanted.
> Thanks...

> send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
I had this problem. I use keylist command and edit active keylist by changing pf9 to switch next command. I change all active keylists in any screen. then I use command: keylist off
In this way ISPF can use my edited keylist and with pressing pf9 it changes screens one by one.