Exiting SDSF auto update

gil...@ibm-main.lst

Jul 31, 2004, 11:25:56 AM7/31/04
For the first time in a few years I tried SDSF auto update today on Z/OS 1.2.
I can't leave it. I used to be able, IIRC, to exit with RESET; PA1.
Now that sequence drops me back into auto update.

o Do I remember incorrectly?

o Is my 3270 emulator misbehaving? (I tried two different ones.)

o Has SDSF changed the rules?

To add to the irritation, publibz gives as the only hit on SDSF an
Operation and Customization manual. Is there no Users Guide?

Online help refers me to http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/sdsf/.
That's at the OS390 2.10 level.

Online help for the message gives me:

Display Filter View Print Options Help
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
? HELP: SDSF Messages ?
? ?
? **** AUTO UPDATE - number SECONDS **** ?
? ?
? Explanation: SDSF is running in automatic update mode. The ?
? interval between updates is given in seconds. ?
? ?
? Response: None. ?
?

Am I to assume from "Response: None" that there's nothing I can do to leave
the AUTO UPDATE state? If there were any way to escape, that would be a
plausible response and should be cited.

Thanks,
gil
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL

send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Schiradin,Roland HG-Dir itb-db/dc

Jul 31, 2004, 11:29:57 AM7/31/04
Hit the ATTN key twice. It's [sys attn] in my PCOM keyboard setting assigned to ESC.
I used it 2 minutes ago

Roland

Jul 31, 2004, 11:39:26 AM7/31/04
Schiradin,Roland HG-Dir itb-db/dc wrote:

>Hit the ATTN key twice.

Why twice?

| Edward E. Jaffe | |
| Mgr, Research & Development | edj...@phoenixsoftware.com |
| Phoenix Software International | Tel: (310) 338-0400 x318 |
| 5200 W Century Blvd, Suite 800 | Fax: (310) 338-0801 |
| Los Angeles, CA 90045 | http://www.phoenixsoftware.com |

Schiradin,Roland HG-Dir itb-db/dc

Jul 31, 2004, 11:52:09 AM7/31/04
You're right once is fine.

Schiradin,Roland HG-Dir itb-db/dc wrote:

>Hit the ATTN key twice.

Why twice?

Mark Zelden

Jul 31, 2004, 4:42:19 PM7/31/04
On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:51:52 +0200, Schiradin,Roland HG-Dir itb-db/dc
<Schir...@ALTE-LEIPZIGER.DE> wrote:

>You're right once is fine.

I need to hit it twice, but that is because ATTN is the hot key for
my VTAM session manager and it intercepts the first one. Hitting
it a second time sends the ATTN to the application.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Sr. Software and Systems Architect

Schiradin,Roland HG-Dir itb-db/dc

Jul 31, 2004, 8:24:28 PM7/31/04
Tnx Mark, now I remember why I still hit ATTN twice even our session manager (TPX) was gone years ago.

Roland

>Schiradin,Roland HG-Dir itb-db/dc wrote:
>
>>Hit the ATTN key twice.
>>

>Why twice?

I need to hit it twice, but that is because ATTN is the hot key for my VTAM session manager and it intercepts the first one. Hitting it a second time sends the ATTN to the application.

Paul Gilmartin

Aug 1, 2004, 11:28:20 AM8/1/04
In a recent note, Edward E. Jaffe said:

> Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 08:40:23 -0700

> Schiradin,Roland HG-Dir itb-db/dc wrote:
>
> >Hit the ATTN key twice.
> >

> Why twice?

Got it, thanks. Well, almost. By experiment, I must hit RESET twice,
then ATTN once. I suppose on a real 3270 ATTN would work without RESET?

All straightforward enough with x3270. For tn3270 X, I found the
answer on another LISTSERV:

Linkname: Re: About: Attention and Large font problem

I guess I've been contaminated by VM/CMS. On VM, ATTN generally seems to
mean PA1.

Thanks again,
gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL

tony....@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2018, 5:41:35 AM11/8/18
Ok, so I've gone through all these answers and I think there just has to be a definitive answer to this question rather than a whole bunch of hits and misses. I'm starting to think we're all a bunch of Voodoo followers.

I just spent almost two hours fiddling with this and what works for me everytime is the Reset key + PA1 key and that should get you out of auto-update mode. Don't confuse the 'SysReq' key for the 'RESET' key. They're not the same. I also noticed the ATTN key mentioned here but that did not work for me. Since it worked for a couple of people mentioned here, I would say if the PA1 key doesn't work, try whatever your ATTN key is set for.

So, check what your keyboard layout is for your 3270 emulator (Tools -> keyboard layout) and look for the key that is set for RESET and the one that is set for PA1 or ATTN. Select them sequentially (one after the other) and that should get you out of auto-update mode.

You shouldn't have to hit the keys twice, or 4 times, or blow on them first or rub them gently. Just hit the Reset key once and then the PA1 or ATTN key once and that should get you out of it.
So, if you're using 'MOCHA', 'RUMBA', 'Extra! X-treme' or some other 3270 emulator, that should be your answer. If it's not, please let me know.

john....@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2020, 3:17:04 PM1/10/20
I had to hit mine twice, thank you! Used to be once, must be some emulators. You just saved me!