SMPe deleting SMPPTS after receive

Bill Giannelli

Sep 3, 2021, 7:53:48 AM9/3/21
we are having an issue recalling a migrated SMPPTS dataset. if all my past maintenance is already received can I just delete and reallocate my SMPPTS datasets?
Thanks
Bill

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Richards, Robert B. , CTR

Sep 3, 2021, 8:10:31 AM9/3/21
Bill,

Do you mean "already ACCEPTED"? My simple answer could be yes in that case. Regardless, I let SMP/E purge upon ACCEPT.

Don't you have a backup copy made prior to migration?

Bob

Paul Gilmartin

Sep 3, 2021, 8:13:28 AM9/3/21
On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 06:53:39 -0500, Bill Giannelli wrote:

>we are having an issue recalling a migrated SMPPTS dataset. if all my past maintenance is already received can I just delete and reallocate my SMPPTS datasets?

I wouldn't do that before the APPLY.

And I believe there is a path where SMP/E will rebuild load modules
using elements that have not been ACCEPTed. I'd expect that to
require SMPPRS.

<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.1.0?topic=overview-improved-load-module-build-processing>

-- gil

Pommier, Rex

Sep 3, 2021, 9:48:55 AM9/3/21
Hi Bill,

What is the issue with trying to recall the migrated SMPPTS? Is it a case of the dataset is gone, bad tape etc.? Or is it just space issues precluding getting it recalled back to primary disk? I would presume you meant that all the maintenance is ACCEPTed, not just RECEIVEd. Do you have any USERMODs that might be sitting in that SMPPTS? If you can guarantee the SMPPTS that has been migrated is empty then you can just delete and allocate a new one but if there's anything in it, the SMP CSD is going to have pointers into that SMPPTS.

Rex

Sep 3, 2021, 10:43:29 AM9/3/21
unfortunately, I have not done an accept yet.
the dataset is migrated and when I try to recall it I get the following:
IGD17288I DATA SET OEMPP.DB2.V12R02M0.SMPPTS
COULD NOT BE ALLOCATED NORMALLY AND IS NOT ELIGIBLE
FOR SPACE CONSTRAINT RELIEF (MULTI VOLUME) BECAUSE IT IS
A SINGLE VOLUME DATA SET.
SPACE CONSTRAINT RELIEF (SPACE REDUCTION AND/OR 5 EXTENT
LIMIT RELIEF) WILL BE ATTEMPTED
IGD17040I ERROR IN DADSM PROCESSING ON VOLUME SYSPB6 FOR DATA SET
OEMPP.DB2.V12R02M0.SMPPTS
HISTORIC RETURN CODE IS 104 DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION IS 041A0419
IGD306I UNEXPECTED ERROR DURING IGGDAC02 PROCESSING
RETURN CODE 4 REASON CODE 25
THE MODULE THAT DETECTED THE ERROR IS IGDVTSDA
SMS MODULE TRACE BACK - VTSDA VTSCM VTSCR SSIRT

Richards, Robert B. , CTR

Sep 3, 2021, 10:54:09 AM9/3/21
How are you attempting to recall the dataset?

Using ISMF to list the dataset, type HRECALL next to the dataset and on the RECALL panel specify a different volume that has enough contiguous space.

Sep 3, 2021, 11:00:43 AM9/3/21
that is under our storage teams control....been waiting

Bill Giannelli

Sep 3, 2021, 11:05:14 AM9/3/21
I dont get a "RECALL" panel it just goes to a DFSMSHSM tso prompt with static messages