Help with USS Process/Cmd

Lizette Koehler

Jul 28, 2021, 2:10:19 PM7/28/21
Dearest List -

I am not well trained in USS, partially because I do not need to do it often

I have been asked to do the following. I am not sure of the specific
command in USS or best way to do it. Any specific examples will be helpful

I have mounted on /path a single filesystem consisting of 3 paths

/path/path1

/path/path2

/path/path3

I now need to take each of those three paths and create a new zFS for each
one (easy) and then copy the original /path/path1 to the new zFS file system
and mount it in the same place

Once the filesystem is not used I will

Unmount /path

Mount /tmppath/path

Mount the new zFS filesystems

/newpath1

/newpath2

/newpath3

What I do not know is how to copy everything (paths etc. ) from
/tmppath/path/path1 to /newpath1

Any pointers or suggestions welcomed. Hopefully I explained it well without
incorrectly stating the USS part.

I tried searching the internet and got information over load on USS.

Lizette

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

David Spiegel

Jul 28, 2021, 2:21:29 PM7/28/21

Carmen Vitullo

Jul 28, 2021, 2:31:20 PM7/28/21
The pax command is the way I found to copy from one dir or to another -

part of my maint process is to compare old and new etc filesystems, then
use the pax command to copy new data without overlaying the old data

 from omvs change to the dir you are copying from

issue the pax command

pax -rwkv -pe . /todir/dir1

pax -rw puts you in copy mode

k prevents the pax utility from overlaying existing symblinks

v displays the symblinks and files being copied

-pe preserves the user ID file mode access time mod time...all extended
attributes and permissions

'.' represents the current location you have changed directories to
(working dir)
--
/I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to
succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand

Ed Jaffe

Jul 28, 2021, 2:34:05 PM7/28/21
On 7/28/2021 11:10 AM, Lizette Koehler wrote:
> What I do not know is how to copy everything (paths etc. ) from
> /tmppath/path/path1 to /newpath1

I usually position to the source directory (using 'cd') and then issue:

pax -rw -peW -XCM . targetdir

--

Phoenix Software International
Edward E. Jaffe

This e-mail message, including any attachments, appended messages and the
information contained therein, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient or have otherwise
received this email message in error, any use, dissemination, distribution,
review, storage or copying of this e-mail message and the information
contained therein is strictly prohibited. If you are not an intended
of this email message and do not otherwise utilize or retain this email
message or any or all of the information contained therein. Although this
email message and any attachments or appended messages are believed to be
free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into
which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient
to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by the
sender for any loss or damage arising in any way from its opening or use.

Paul Gilmartin

Jul 28, 2021, 2:52:24 PM7/28/21
On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 14:21:14 -0400, David Spiegel wrote:

>COPYTREE

copytree is a REXX sample

>https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.4.0?topic=scd-copytree-make-copy-file-hierarchy-while-preserving-all-file-attributes

... which touts many laudable features:

Tolerates errors when setting target attributes with messages.

Tolerates errors in the source tree, skipping those files.

Copies sparse files as sparse files.
(How does it do that? How can it even tell? Unless it simply
omits blocks containing only binary zeroes.)

Handles both symbolic links and external links

Does not cross mount points.

Preserves file links.
(Is it friendly to non-portable pathnames? That can be done with
SYSCALL readdir, not with SH find. Does it fail on deeply nested
directories that generate excessively long pathnames?)

-- gil