Can higher level SMPE be run of a STEPLIB ?

1 view

John Wolf

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

In <85256610.0...@NRGNT1.GraphicNRG.com>, on 05/26/98
at 09:11 AM, Jan Jakubek <Jan_J...@AGORAINC.NET> said:

>I'm currently MVS 5.2.2/ DFSMS 1.3.0/ SMPE 1.8.1 on my
>production system.
>Could I steplib and run OS/390 2.5 SMPE under my production
>system ? What are the issues/ dangers with that ?
>Thanks
>Jan (John) Jakubek
Yes you can step lib an uplevel SMPE,I have just done that.
The only problem I had was when I tried to install a new DFSMS/MVS. It
tried to compress the lib where it was installing. This of course did not
work. Had to drop the steplib. Just for the DFSMS/MVS part of the install.

John Wolf system programmer at the UNiversity of Cincinnati voice
513-556-0009

wol...@ibm.net

Tom Schmidt

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

If the STEPLIB dataset had been a COPY of the target library, instead of
the actual target library, you would not have had that problem. SMP/E is
arguably a production program and deserves to be run from a static
library with appropriate change control procedures. Doesn't it?

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI